Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

QuietCar/QuietCoat

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:01 AM

QuietCar/QuietCoat

Has anyone tried this alternative to Dynamat, B-Quiet etc...?

http://www.quietcoat.com/

At 60 bucks a gallon and the recommendation of multiple layered coats (from their site) it looks to be expensive, but not as expensive as mats, and from what they say no smell.

If you have used it where did you apply it ? Doors, floor, under hood etc...?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:05 AM

I use 3M ruberized undercoating... cheaper alternative, it's worked great on the 1/2 dozen cars I've used it on. Be sure to make everything off beofre you apply it, once it adheres to something, it's NOT coming off.

Most of the spray on ones are fairly similar and all work good. To me they are easier to apply and seem to work better than the Mat stlye, although it takes more prep work to do the liquid sound deadener.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:19 AM

Yes, I have read about using the 3M to. After I put on the sub frame connectors I taped everything off under the car and sprayed the rubberized coating. That made a little bit of difference with nothing done on the interior. I figured after coating the insides of the doors and trunk that thinks should really start to improve but wanted to use the best stuff inside. If your happy with the results after a dozen cars, that sells me on it

I have not applied the undercoating in the wheel wells yet either but I plan to. Wonder how much that'll help.

I am no expert here, but on the quietcoat site they mentioned spraying under the hood. It doesn't seem like that would help much on the interior though.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-29-2004, 10:19 AM

I've got about 6 cans worth spread throughout the entire interior and hatch area of my car, and it worked quite well, deadened a LOT of the noise on the outside and keeps most of my music on the inside.

I've also gone around and put foam weatherstriping on almost all the interior panels and around my tail lights to prevent rattles. I was testing my system before I remove and replace with upgraded equipment and with it at 30 out of 35 (HU volume) on the outside it was quiet, and not rattling hardly at all, on the inside my head hurt the second I stuck it in through the door.

This is with 2 s12L7's each getting 800Wrms, plus Midbass speakers each getting 100Wrms, and front Co-axials each getting 75Wrms.

The 3M you can find at Walmart for about $6/can, great value, and if you buy a case you can sometimes get a discount (not at walmart of course), but you can layer this stuff on quite thick without any issues, just make sure the coats are dry or tacky first.