Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Put the sub firing up or towards the front???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 12:56 PM

Put the sub firing up or towards the front???

I have an extended cab truck now, and I'm about to build a box. Would it be better to have it firing up or at an angle towards the front of the truck? It's gonna be centered between the front seats.

Also, it's a 12" MTX 8000 series sub.

Thanks!

Josh
Old 11-08-2002, 09:23 PM

In most trunk-style cars, having the subs face back provides the most output, but in a small cabin like your truck, I doubt that it's likely to matter. The best suggestion that I can make is to see if you can borrow a pre-fabbed box and experiment.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:48 PM

You'll probably have a hard time believing this but try pointing the subs toward the floor. Fire them downward about 2 to 3 inches off the floor. This is a form of "slot loading" the sub. Subwoofer systems that use this technique have had some of the best sounding bass I've ever heard. I found out about it accidently in my Tahoe. I used to have a pair of 10" subs in the tailgate. One day my wife and I went to pick up some new night stands for our bedroom. We loaded the boxes in the back and they were sitting just a couple of inches away from the subs in the tailgate. When I cranked up the volume we both noticed a HUGE improvement in the quality of the bass. And if my wife can hear a difference then thats really saying something. When we got home I experimented with the boxes in and out of the truck. On every song I demoed this setup with the sound of the bass was MUCH better with the boxes in front of the subs. I now have a JL Audio center console Stealthbox sub in the Tahoe that fires into the floor and it sounds killer. If you don't have the room to fire them into the floor, try firing them into the rear wall of your truck.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by LS1 RULZ
You'll probably have a hard time believing this but try pointing the subs toward the floor. Fire them downward about 2 to 3 inches off the floor. This is a form of "slot loading" the sub. Subwoofer systems that use this technique have had some of the best sounding bass I've ever heard. I found out about it accidently in my Tahoe.
I found out the same actually. When I had my 94, I had one of the MTX boxes and it fit perfectly across the top of the well in the trunk. Somehow it used that well to resonate the sound and it just pounded.

Just my .02

Chris