Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Lookin for door speakers ~100

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:37 PM

Lookin for door speakers ~100

I am interested in using an amazon gift certificate for 100$ on some door speakers. I have an alpine headunit, thecrunch rear speakers (last owner installed these). I will eventually be getting a decent 10 inch sub to put in my stealthbox and an amp for that.

I am interested in some 2 ways for about 100$ that will sound good and get to decent levels without distortion. I demoed the infinity reference 2 ways and they kind of impressed me for being run off a headunit only, they sounded good and got up high without distortion, but these seem very low end (~70).

I hear good things about these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...06513?n=172282
I haven't heard them in person but should i go with the polks, infinitys, or something else?
Old 12-16-2005, 11:46 PM

Re: Lookin for door speakers ~100

reference are good, but personally I would not go with anything below kappa.

good luck, and you get what you pay for.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:10 AM

Whatever you do DO NOT buy speakers on a recommendation only. Speaker selection is a very subjective matter and what sounds good to me may sound like garbage to you. Try to demo as many speakers as you can that are available in your area with some of your favorite CD's.

When you have your speakers picked out make sure that you don't have any clearance issues. I originally had a set of Infinity Reference Series components in my car. I mounted them in the factory speaker baffles in the doors. On loud bass hits the mid-woofer would actually slam into the back of the door trim panel. This caused one of the mid-woofers to blow. I ended up having to make my own set of baffles that lowered the speakers 1/4" deeper into the door so the speakers would have enough clearance. You can see pix by clicking my sig.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:44 AM

He's right, you have to hear them first... the only problem with that is almost no high-end audio shops carry reasonably-priced components...

if you are looking for VERY good components, for the price they SHOULD be... check out

CDT

and

Elemental Designs

a point of reference... the edi6000s are close to the quality of a set of kappa perfects... and the 6500s compare almost directly to the HD-61s from CDT.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:11 AM

To be honest with you guys, I am not looking to spend 300$ on components only to need to get an additional amp and things like that. I want a set of 2ways speakers for about 100$. I have been recommended the db650 by quite a few poeple that I do give credidation to knowing what they are doing.

I simply want to upgrade my stock system that isnt very clear even at regular listening volums without any equalizer boost. I don't have 700$ to spend on car stereo so i will be content with whatever I get. Maybe when i am older, done with school, i will be able to but chances are, ill buy a car with an already amazing system (Im thinking Mark Levinson).
Old 12-17-2005, 11:52 AM

just so you know, the stock headunit is what's causing the distortion... it's not really the speakers...

the best thing you could do is upgrade the deck...

when you hear the distortion, it's not because the headunit is 'topping' out the speaker... it's because the signal is so distorted that's coming OUT of the headunit, that it's sending a SQUAREwave to the speakers, (essentially,) and that burns up speakers left and right.

if you get new speakers, keep it in mind that they can be destroyed, and may not have any less distortion... the one thing that you may benefit from is that your stock speakers may not have tweeters, and your new 2-ways will... which will make it 'louder' with less power... but turn the **** on the radio to the same spot as before, and BINGO, you're gonna have distortion...

I'm even less fortunate than you... I have the 10-speaker monsoon system... and I'm gonna have to pull the headunit, ALL the speakers, and the amp in the back...

there are ways to use the stock amp and whatnot... but it's too much work, and will result in lackluster performance...

If you truely are keeping your stock headunit, then I recommend going as cheap as possible... and I mean cheap... get the cheapest thing with plastic cones that are 2/3way even... best buy and walmart are good places to check... you should spend no more than $50 if you are not going to get a decent headunit/amplifier later... you won't hear the difference, and will most likely ruin these anyways...
Old 12-17-2005, 12:44 PM

I already have an alpine headunit as said in the first post. It is a bit of an older one but has 4x40 amp in it.
So, are you saying the polks or infinity's wouldnt do me any good with this?

btw, my rear pillar speakers have been replaced with thecrunch midwoofers and I got a steath box mad for a sub (sold my old one and amp so that is next step.)

Im thinking with the alpine 4x40, some nice 2way door speakers, thecrunch rear speakers, and a nice 10 inch sub with amp, the system will sound pretty good. Don't you?
Old 12-17-2005, 01:42 PM

the polks or infinitys would be a huge upgrade over the stocks and will work fine. Personally I like the sound of the polks a little bit more they are a bit warmer and smoother. If there is a circuit city by you they should have both of them on display so you can compare side to side
Old 12-17-2005, 02:24 PM

When you add the sub I would look into high passing the signal to your door speakers. Since you'll be powering them with your HU's amp you'll have to do it passively by using something similar to a "Bass Blocker". This isn't the best way to go but I would still do it anyway to relieve the door speakers from the stress of playing the sub-bass.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by PentaVolvo
the polks or infinitys would be a huge upgrade over the stocks and will work fine. Personally I like the sound of the polks a little bit more they are a bit warmer and smoother. If there is a circuit city by you they should have both of them on display so you can compare side to side
Nice call there, I went to circuit city and they were literaly side by side. Both of them sounded alright to me. I think ill go with the Polk Audio db675 2-ways for a better fit over the 650s then.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:13 PM

his headunit should have a HPF built-in...

but to be brutally honest... don't expect the world out of that "40 watt" power that the alpine claims... unless I am mis-understanding you, and I don't think I am, then you are looking at a maximum of about 20-23WRMS from the headunit per channel.. (this is standard.) 30WRMS per channel would be EXTRAORDINARY... just a point of reference.

yes, you will notice a difference if you switch to the polks or infinitys, mostly because it sounds like you don't have stock tweeters... in that case, it will be a nice jump for you...

if you plan on getting an external amplifier down the road, I wouldn't go the super cheap route on those 6.5"s.. maybe go with the reference component series??

it's up to you, but try to think in advance... a lot of people shoot themselves in the foot when they get stuff they won't want in 3 months..
Old 12-19-2005, 05:17 PM

Would you recommend i put the money towards getting a new sub for my stealthbox and amp instead of the speakers then(i dont have a sub anymore)?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:59 PM

what is your overall budget for your car...?? I mean once everything is said and done... or are you doing this piece-by-piece?

if you are doing it one step at a time, I'd suggest saving up for an amp and a sub.... or just save up like $150 for an (ok) set of components...

check out CDT... they make $150 components that would compare to Kappa perfects, but at half the price...

the order I usually do the stereo is:
1. Headunit
2. Front Component Speakers
3. 4ch Amp
4. Rear fill / components (depending on how much $$$ you have)
5. mono amp + subwoofer (both at same time)

this way you get the benefit of the higher-power headunit, even with your stock speakers... then you upgrade to the components, which give you so much more clarity and power-handling (which you won't really use until you get that 4ch.) then once you get the 4ch you will be set... until you get the need for bass... which at that point you will want to just save up and get both at the same time....

right now I have to put in a new headunit, which requires me to do some crazy-*** wiring with this monsoon stuff... and then I will actually remove the monsoon amp... and all the speakers in the car.... this is gonna get expensive, and I'm lucky that I already have a 4ch, a mono amp, and two 15" subs... but even with that, I still have to dish out over a grand on new components, etc...
Old 12-19-2005, 10:40 PM

i upgraded from the infinity kappa's to jbl gti component systems. i still have the kappa's. if you want them i'll sell you BOTH sets (4 speakers) for 100$ if you pay the shipping. i paid 159.00 a set for them, that was 2 years ago and they are used thats why i'll sell them lower than normal. they were working when i took them out. if you buy them and they don't work i will give you your $$$ back as long as you get them installed and don't jack them up yourself.

PM me if your interested
Old 12-20-2005, 02:57 PM

that's a hell of a deal... I'd take that... if I were you

Quick Reply: Lookin for door speakers ~100