Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Let's see some Satellite Radio installs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 10:51 PM
GP Moderator

Let's see some Satellite Radio installs!

Let's see some of your installs (on your F-body's of course). My setup is a Sirius Sportster Replay (the newly released unit), Premier Deck, Eclipse 4-channel amp, Memphis Coax's all around, Memphis 1000D amp (currently broken ), Audiobahn 12" sub.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

- For power, I purchased a 12V socket and wired it behind the head unit. I've discovered I'm getting some whine because of this, so I'll have to do a bit of rewiring.

- For the mount, I purchased the Panavise bracket. I'm kind of disappointed in this bracket. It cost and arm and a leg for a small piece of metal, which sucks to begin with. Where it is supposed to mount (directly next to the head unit in the mounting screws) didn't work, because the trim ring wouldn't snap back into place. I had to place it lower, drill an extra hole in the bracket, and then it fit. It "MIGHT" have worked if I still had a stock head unit in there. Might.

To top it off, because of how tightly the bracket fits next to the dash, you can't use all the mounting holes for the cradle; could only use 2 of the screws, but luckily that seems to be enough to hold it solidly. Also had to grind the lock down on the cradle so it would clear the Panavise mount.

- Currenty just using the FM modulator until I get around to purchasing an aux. adapter for my head unit.

- Antenna is under the hood. No way in hell was I going to put an external antenna on my car. Well, I heard you could put an antenna under a fiberglass hood, and this would work. Before the install, I tested antenna strength. Though not as strong as out in the open, there is still decent enough signal getting to the unit. I mounted the unit under the thinest part of fiberglass on the hood.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:59 PM

Re: Let's see some Satellite Radio installs!

Nice idea on the antenna. How's it working out for you?

I have a ready HU with the tuner in the glovebox. I just stuck mine just foreward of the hatch with an adhesive. No pics though, lost my USB cable.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:00 AM
GP Moderator

Re: Let's see some Satellite Radio installs!

The antenna has worked great there so far. There is a repeater near my house, so it's only when I take the car somewhere away from here that I can tell how well it's working; I've done that once on an overcast night w/ no drop outs.