Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Kicker L7 10 solo baric

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 10:10 AM

Angry Kicker L7 10 solo baric

i have the Dual 4 ohm one, im using the kicker 600.1 D amp how the heck do i wire this thing up?

there is four connectors on the sub!!
Old 08-02-2002, 10:15 AM

You'll want to hook it up in parallel. Both positives(red,+) to the + on the amp.

Both negatives(black,-) to the - on the amp.

Amp in Mono, single channel mode. That should pull your amp down to 2 ohms, and give you some good power.

Shon

------------------
2000 Mercury Cougar Special Edition
----------------------------
http://www.geocities.com/bustatail.geo/smith.html
Old 08-02-2002, 10:17 AM

Is it only one(1) sub and one amp? With 2 subs/one amp, it would be different.

Shon

------------------
Old 08-02-2002, 10:26 AM

yes its one sub with one amp. in a ported box... should sound good... so both +'s to + on the amp and Both -'s at the - on the amp. right?
Old 08-02-2002, 10:32 AM

Yup, both +s to the +, both - to the -.

Oh, and remember to keep it at a reasonable level for the first 2 weeks until the speaker breaks in, most people who destroy the Kickers do it because they over-power them while they aren't broken in yet.

Mike

------------------
1997 Formula WS-6, 1 of 473

Mods: P&P MAF, Pro-5.0, SLP LT4 Clutch, 200 Amp Alt, TB Bypass, !AIR, !CAGS, 160 therm, CSI WP, PS Cooler, GMS STB, Cutout, TCI LineLock, ES Swaybar/Trans/TA Bushings, 5%R/20%S Tint, Painted Calipers, Custom Clear Tail Lights/Corners

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/97formulaws6
Old 08-02-2002, 10:34 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 97FormulaWS-6:
Yup, both +s to the +, both - to the -.

Oh, and remember to keep it at a reasonable level for the first 2 weeks until the speaker breaks in, most people who destroy the Kickers do it because they over-power them while they aren't broken in yet.

Mike

</font>
Exactly right... 2 weeks of low level listening.. You want those to break in before you get nasty on them. Solobarics are very tempermental. Don't play them loud for 2 weeks. I have 2 12" SB's and they are loud. Huge ported box, I'm hitting 150.4 DB with a rockford amp. I think you'll be happy with that sub.

Check out pics below in my sig.

Shon

------------------
Old 08-02-2002, 10:52 AM

Shon,

Just curious as to how big your box is (cu.ft.) and how much power you're feeding the S12s. TIA
Old 08-02-2002, 11:05 AM

My box is 8 cu. ft. tuned to 37 hz. I have a power 800a2 pushing them. Tests show 1020 watts at 2 ohm mono. I'm runnin dual 2ohm subs, series to 4, then paralleled back down to 2. It's awesome for comps, but daily listening kinda sucks.. it only hits low... 50hz and below. I meter at 34-40 hz depending on weather/humidity.

I'm really wanting to put a Kicker ZR1000 on those things. I talked to a guy in a extended cab S-10 that was hitting 154 with 2 12"s and that amp. He did a 151 with just one sub!!!!

Shon

edit: Oh yeah, I'm running 2 farad caps and an Optima yellow top too. 2 guage back, 4 guage at the split.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gotbass (edited August 02, 2002).]
Old 08-02-2002, 11:08 AM

I'm working on my temporary enclosure right now, 2 s12L7s in my t-top well. I can't build my good enclosure (on the deck) because I need to get my Rollbar installed first and that probably won't happen till next year. I'm going to get about 1.5 cf sealed box(Personal sound preffrance, ported boxes sound sloppy to me), but I'm going to run ~800WRMS to each speaker... should do the trick...

Although I'm really wondering what I'll hit with a sealed box...Anyone got any guesses??

Mike

------------------

Mods: P&P MAF, Pro-5.0, SLP LT4 Clutch, 200 Amp Alt, TB Bypass, !AIR, !CAGS, 160 therm, CSI WP, PS Cooler, GMS STB, Cutout, TCI LineLock, ES Swaybar/Trans/TA Bushings, 5%R/20%S Tint, Painted Calipers, Custom Clear Tail Lights/Corners

Old 08-02-2002, 11:15 AM

We threw my subs in a common chamber 4cu ft box in a friends car. He had a MTX 1000 pushing them, and he managed a 147. I'm sure you'd be above that. But you should think about porting those subs. They sound very tight in a ported box. Seriously. You get the extra DB, AND it's tight and crisp. Just don't go as big with the box. You can do 1.75 each sub ported.. and I guarantee you'd be happy.

http://www.kicker.com/ShowPage.cfm?f...enu=SUBWOOFERS

They are amazing subs... regardless how you run them, you'll love them!!

Shon

------------------
Old 08-02-2002, 11:54 AM

i honestly have yet to hear a L7 setup that sounded good to me, i do realize i am a SQ guy to the extreme, but every setup i have heard is sloppy.

I have a few questions

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gotbass:
My box is 8 cu. ft. tuned to 37 hz. It's awesome for comps, but daily listening kinda sucks.. it only hits low... 50hz and below. </font>

I am a little confused by your statements, they seem to make little sense. You have a ported box, tuned quite high and you say it only hits low? i have a hard time believing that. If it is tuned that high and doesn't do well over 50 Hz, i wouldn't own one (well i wouldn't anyways, but that is because of accuracy in a small sealed box). Since that sub suffers from lack of linear excursion i would think (and actually heard lots of complaints) that it will blow easily when unloaded below the tuning frequency. i just don't see how it can possibly do low bass well (and i don't consider 50 Hz low bass). It seems to me in that box you would have a very difficult time reproducing 33-34 Hz and below, and by your own admission it doesn't do well above 50.... i have to ask, what good is it? Have you ever thought of getting a subwoofer that actually plays highs and low well when ported? You must compete a lot to put up with suffering with a setup like that for daily driving.... or is it a SPL competition only vehicle?

i guess there is a reason why the average Joe doesn't get the solos if sound quality is the goal.... well the new solos anyways.
Everyone that i have ever heard that went from a L7 to even a good sounding sub, didn't realize just how bad the SQ was untill they got something else.
------------------
Soundillusions.net
The ultimate in caraudio.

Sony, Arc Audio, Infinity, Adire Audio, A/D/S

[This message has been edited by rthompson (edited August 02, 2002).]
Old 08-02-2002, 11:56 AM

My dual 12" deep well boxes for the L7s are exactly 1.5 cubic feet per sub if anyone's interested. I've made several of them. Slightly different from my box that has dual 10" L7 www.subthump.aftreeweb.com/my_box.htm

Shon, BTW, I've even done a dual L7 setup for a 99 couger before.

But I've got that same 800.2 amp on my 10s. At first, I had each sub wired to a separate channel at 2ohm. Now I've got it bridged with series (coil) parallel (sub) wiring. Which do you think is a better way to do it?
Old 08-02-2002, 12:02 PM

well if the chambers are seperated it won't really matter if they are wired to 2 ohm stereo, but if they are in a common chamber i can garantee you will be happy if you switch to 4 ohm mono.

------------------
Soundillusions.net

Old 08-02-2002, 12:11 PM

RThompson - have you heard them in a small (~1cf) box before?? I personally haven't. EVERYONE around here goes to the same place for Kickers because for some reason no one does their own setups in this city, and they always sell them ported boxes. Every car I've ever seen around where I live has Ported Kickers, and I personally don't like the sound of ported boxed anyways. A good friend of mine has an older Kicker Comp setup that's all in sealed boxes and they sound awesome. I'm hoping the sealed box on the SB will make it sound tighter, especially in comparison to the ported ones.

Mike

------------------

Old 08-02-2002, 12:14 PM

Whoa, Gotbass, i checked out your pics and you are seriously suffering from lack of port area. You should hit a hell of a lot higher if you triple what you got, it looks like it is a single port for both subs, and only about 14 x 2 1/2.... seriously did you have a shop do it for you or did you do it yourself? If you had a shop do it i would bitch at them and make them do it right, and they better not charge you for it. I imagine you suffer from a LOT of port noise.... seriously port that thing right and you will hit a lot higher!!!

------------------
Soundillusions.net

Quick Reply: Kicker L7 10 solo baric