Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

ipod interface or maybe something better

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 04:39 PM

ipod interface or maybe something better

I have a 2000 SS Coupe with the factory Monsoon AM/FM/CD in the dash and the factory Bose amp in the back. On the driver's side, in the back is the unconnected cable that would go to a CD changer if I had one. I want the cockpit to remain as it was from the factory and the Monsoon's performance is adequate for me. I'd like the convenience of integrating an iPod into the system. I bought a product from Circuit City that they recommended and it did not work. An email to Metra/Axxess confirmed that this unit would not work with my car. It will only work with a car that has a "TAPE AUX" button. Mine has a "CD AUX" button. I've only been able to read posts that describe such devices as being slightly quirky during operation. I'd like the steering wheel controls to operate the ipod if this is possible. Has anybody had complete success with such an interface and if so what is the make and model of the device?

If there is nothing available, I might consider one of the devices which simply create an auxilary input for the Monsoon. In my desperation I'm not to the point of wanting to use an FM Modulator and I have one of these now. Does anyone have a device that successfully creates a aux input and works without glitches on my model and if so, again the make and model.

The ultimate setup would be an MP3 storage device that totally emulated the factory CD changer and used CF cards or SD memory and integrated seamlessly with the factory stereo. Anybody seen something like this? With the right brains working, something like this could be built to be smaller than a matchbox. I guess the problem would be profit margin because you couldn't ask a lot of money for something so simple.

All help is appreciated. I really don't want to replace my head unit.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

The only thing I know of is the PAC AUX-POD. I can't say for sure that it will work, since I don't know anyone that has one, but they advertise that it does.

http://www.pac-audio.com/
Old 07-16-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
The only thing I know of is the PAC AUX-POD. I can't say for sure that it will work, since I don't know anyone that has one, but they advertise that it does.

http://www.pac-audio.com/
I order this today. It should be in by Saturday. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kris93/95Z28
I order this today. It should be in by Saturday. I will let you know how it goes.
You need the aux-pod and the specific ab harness--which we carry along with the satellite radio stuff--in case you can't find anywhere to get it from.

Last edited by megabass; 07-18-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by megabass
You need the aux-pod and the specific ab harness--which ce carry along with the satellite radio stuff.
I ordered the setup from a local stereo shop. From what I know of them they do good work. They have been in business at the same location for over 20 years that I remember. The guy that ordered it told me it should be a plug and play deal. We'll see...
Old 07-22-2008, 08:43 PM

Here's the deal. They didn't order the PAC unit. They did order the iSimple unit from peripheralelectronics:

http://peripheralelectronics.com/apps

It comes with the brain, the harness that connects to the back of the stereo, and the iPod plug. Total time to install was about 15 ~ 20 minutes from start to finish. It was VERY straight forward.

First impressions, a VERY nice setup. The steering wheel controls DO work!

No cutting or drilling required. I tucked the brain on the trans tunnel under the carpet. The Ipod plug was ran through the hole in the top of the small cubby hold in the dash. The cord is tucked back in the cubby hole when not in use and pulled out when you want to use it. I would have went through the ash tray, but I already used that real estate for the electric cutout switch.

The install is very clean. So far I am very satisfied!