Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Interior Lights will not turn off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 03:00 AM

Interior Lights will not turn off.

Those two interior lights are giving my a problem. The ones on the rear view mirror and the one above the back seats. They refuse to turn off. I have made sure that the dimmer switch wasn't turned all the way up and everything I could think of. I did notice something weird about the back seat light once. It was night and I was getting in my car and the light would flash on and then dim out slowly and kept on doing that as I drove. Now I cant get it off. When I start driving, they are on. When I am parked and the car is off and I lockup, they are still on. I had to pull the "courtesy" fuse to get them to turn off. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong?

Thank you.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:35 AM

This may sound unlikely, but open and close the hatch securely.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:01 AM

The thing is that I have actually googled this problem and I have gotten that as a result so of course I went outside that night and tried to see if that was my problem. I tried over and over again and no dice. Now it could be a possibility that its broken underneath the little spring action switch but i highly doubt it. I haven't done anything that would mess with it, other than shutting my hatch. Thank you for the suggestion but thats not the problem. I think I might be that its shorting somewhere or the ground is not grounded. I'm going to look into it tomorrow and let you know.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:51 PM

I had the same problem on my '96 Z28, There was a fuse that kept blowing too. I replaced the fuse and it would go off again and the lights would not turn off so I ended up removing the bulbs while I sorted the problem out.

I traced all the symptoms to a bad BCM (Body control module) in my car; the keyfob remote was not opening or closing the locks either. I took off the glovebox and reached under it where the BCM is located. Took a picture of the part number to make sure and had to order a new one from GMpartsdirect.com and had to shell out like $108 bucks.

There are different types of BCM and they vary by year and options on the car (anti-theft system equipped for example) so you have to make sure which one you have to order exactly the same. One more thing, you can't get a used BCM because the resistor code of the key pellet is burned in the BCM chip the first time you switch the ignition to "on". So if you wanted to get a used one, it would have to be from a car from the same year, equipped exactly like yours and with the same pellet resistance in the key (which is hard to determine if the car is in a junkyard and you don't have the key or the BCM is already removed from the car).

I disconnected my battery; changed the BCM, the blown fuse, reconnected the battery and everything has worked perfectly since, this was like 2-3 years ago.

I don't think you have a ground problem, because then the lights would not turn on if you don't complete the circuit, and the opposite is happening.

Last edited by Interceptor1; 07-10-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:57 AM

Interceptor1, tomorrow I will try disconnecting my battery to reset my entire cars electrical system. Kind of like how when something goes wrong on a cellphone or some other electronic you unplug it or take out the battery out and let the power completely drain. Then you plug it back in and the thin resets itself. Hopefully that will work because I can afford to buy a new BCM. Ill post to let you know what happens. Thank you by the way for this great answer. I hate to admit it but, this just might be it even though no fuses are blowing.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:43 AM

I tried my little restart thing and no dice.
I really hope I don't have to dish out $108 for a new alarm thingy. Actually this light situation isn't one of my biggest dilemmas. First thing I want fixed is my A/C. haha There are just so much more things to do for my car than fix a dumb problem like this. My grandfather knows a dude who knows how to check any electrical thing in chevrolet vehicle. Maybe I will ask him to look at just this one thing.