Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Help me pick amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 11:49 PM

Help me pick amp

I am about to buy a stealth box for the drivers side, and need to find a good "budget" amp to push the 10. Will a MTX Thunder 4202 be what im looking for? I found a new one on ebay for 109.00 I've also noticed that the RF amps seems to be reasonable. RF amp

Exactly how many watts am I going to need? (dumb question, I know zilch about stereo systems. ) Please explain to me the diff in 120watts at 2ohms, vs a certain wattage at 4 ohms.

I found several on ebay, but some of these bastages want 20 bucks for shipping. I would almost rather find a new amp, rather than buy a used one for 80 bucks, and then pay another 20 in shipping. So in the case of new amps, do you guys know of a site that is cheaper than the others?

Thanks,
Zack

Last edited by 6Speed; 04-15-2003 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:27 AM

A new amp is the way to go. Less problems that way. Buy from a reputable online source and you'll be happy. I would suggest getting something atleast 200W RMS for a sub. The 4202 is a good amp. If you want more bump you'll need 300-500W.

Ohm is a load rating, think of is as resistance. The lower the resistance the more power. Most amps will handle down to 2 ohms stereo and 4 ohms bridged. You will need a 4 ohm set up as you will be running it bridged. If your sub is lower then you will need to run a monoblock that can handle lower resistance in mono. Tell me what your entire system is and I'll make a suggestion.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:11 PM

Thanks Rally!

Well so far, I have on my list:

Subthump drivers side stealth box
MTX thunder 10"

That speaker isn't necessarily the one I'm bidding on, but that is the speaker I had picked out. It looks like I can pick one up for 50.00 or under, which is really appealing, considering all the good things I hear about the MTX speakers.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:45 PM

I don't like MTX subs. I like JL, IDQ and Alpine. With that small of a box look into an IDQ. PM me if you want a great place to buy gear from.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:29 PM

I've been dealing with the same thing. I already have an empty stealth box, just debating on what to fill it with. I was checking out an Alpine sub at Circuit City for like 100 bucks. As far as an amp I was checking out this

http://www.ikesound.com/800.htm

(It doesn't have a separate addy, so you have to go under "Pioneer" then "Amplifiers" and it's the first one at the top)

Pioneer GM-D500M

A friend at school had a printout of it and he said it was really good. I'm not sure if that is too much power, I heard I would need atleast 200 - 300 Watts. I don't know that much about car audio either. I'm gonna PM you also RallyRedTexan.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-16-2003, 09:12 PM

I don't really like Pioneer amps, there are better units out there for the the same or less money. Check out JBL, they make quality stuff and it's a VERY good value.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:06 AM
GP Moderator

I HATE Pioneer amps, and wouldn't suggest them to anyone.

Honestly, I've never liked MTX either. Dunno, a lot of their stuff always gave me the cheap vibe, and I've never been a fan of how they sound.

I highly suggest checking out Audiobahn subs. When I first looked into them, I was highly skeptical and figured they would be a joke. But I got one online cheap, installed it, and my god, this sub freaking ROCKS. I was highly impressed, and IMO I don't think I could have found a better sub for the price.

Amp wise, I say buy the best you can for the money you have. I run a Memphis 1000D, but that's anything but budget oriented. Audio Art has some awsome amps, and their lower-end stuff tends to be reasonably priced.