Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Hatch security

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 03:04 PM

Post Hatch security

Before I mount my sub and amps back there, how hard is it to pry the trunk open from the outside. I plan on disconnecting and possibly relocating the interior trunk release (for stealthness and convince). Anyone know how hard it is?

Thanks
Eric
Old 07-20-2002, 03:56 PM

Pry hell!!!

If I want whats in there I'm smashing the glass.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:29 PM

You best bet is to secure the audio equipment. If a persen wants in the car will not be hard to get into....so chain it down, use screws with the subs that require something diffrent like allan wrechs, also trying using a cover like plxy glass, the more time it takes him to break in the less he will spend on it,

Also install a alarm system, one with an audio detechion so it would pick up that glass breaking and send off a 200 db sieren of death!

------------------
95 Camaro 3.4L M5,
-Flowmaster muffler 80 series with quad tips,
-White Racing Stripes
-LeBra front end cover,
-Interior purple neons
-2000 Trans Am rims
-Car audio
180 Watt Kenwood head unit
jbl's all around
2 10" Jensen 375 watt subs with a 250 watt amp (I know its cheap but I really don't want to kill any little old ladies)
http://members.glis.net/zomie
Old 07-20-2002, 05:19 PM

Well, I was thinking about mounting the amps in the well with nothing on the hump and with the cover up. I have some ideas for mounting the sub box that I think would be a pain to get out (and a pain to secure it), but I'm more worried about the amps.

Zomie, I have an alarm already with a glass sensor, but I also plan on adding an interior siren (125db or higher if I can fid it) so at least they will have hearing damage

Any ideas?

Thanks again
Eric
Old 07-20-2002, 06:10 PM

So you smash the hatch glass, how would you get back to the equipment in the rear well (assuming you still have the flap covering everything)? The only way I can think of getting into the trunk is either prying the hatch open or using the release button (that's why I disconnected mine). I think our cars are actually pretty hard to steal stereos out of, compared to other cars.

------------------
'96 Firebird Formula M6
Performance
Custom cut-out, Homemade 4" CAI with 9" cone filter, !CAGS, TB Bypass, Energy Suspension Trans. Mount, Pro 5.0 shifter, LCAs, Stock 3.42 gears
Stereo
Sony Xplod MP450X MP3 Headunit, Sony XE-90MKII Half DIN EQ, MTX RTX01A Crossover, 2 12" Clarions, powered by 2 Bridged Kenwood KAC-728S amps, Infinity Reference Series component set up front, powered by Kenwood KAC-628, EFX 1 farad cap, 4 gauge wire to cap, 10 gauge to amps

Website
Old 07-20-2002, 08:39 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x7x7:
So you smash the hatch glass, how would you get back to the equipment in the rear well (assuming you still have the flap covering everything)? </font>
Smash the glass. Pop the panel off at it's hinges (not exactly hard to do). Pull the carpet back and turn the latching mechanism by hand.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x7x7:
I think our cars are actually pretty hard to steal stereos out of, compared to other cars.</font>
Actually they're not hard at all. It only took a crow bar to pop the lid on the Firebird SE I used to have. And a screw driver to rip the lock right out of the door.

[This message has been edited by LS1 RULZ (edited July 20, 2002).]
Old 07-22-2002, 09:27 AM

If you have expensive equipment. Invest 150.00 in DEIs pager.It will only reach about 3/4 mile even though they claim 2 miles. (if you are any further from your car you cant get to it in time to save anything anyway.) It may save you while in a mall or the movies, or church... its definately worth the investment. Also use two sirens it will be a bit louder and no one likes attention when stealing. Like the guy posted use a mixture of screws. Dont blast it where you live people watch. And dont show anything people look to see how to GETCHA!

------------------
Black 00' SS
(1) Pioneer 480
(3) 12" Solobaric L7s
(3) Earthquake 200Ds
(3) Marine Batteries
(1) 6 Farad Cap Bank
(2) 15" Compression Drivers (Loud AZZ Highs)
(1) Broken Trunk Latch courtesy of the L7s
C.A.N.I.
Conastant And NeverEnding Improvement
Old 07-22-2002, 06:32 PM

trgreman, I'm not the type to show off, I just want it to sound good while I'm driving.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to secure the amps? I was thinking about chaining them down at a few different points on the car, but any other ideas?
Old 07-23-2002, 10:31 AM

Cool

The pager is not for showing off. I hate to cary pagers period. Its just to let you know whats going on around your car. You have to keep in mind what LS1 RULZ says. If someone wants in.... they will get in. Having a second line of notification in areas like malls, movies... is worth the 150.00 in my book. You can bolt, secure, chain,... all day. The best defense is attention thats why sirens are somewhat effective. But whats more effective is the owner showing up while they are stealing with a 44. If you catch them, be sure to make them wax your car before you let them go.
Its ashame that we have to spend all this extra money just to keep what we paid for in the first place. But hey... Good luck.

------------------
Black 00' SS
(1) Pioneer 480
(3) 12" Solobaric L7s
(3) Earthquake 200Ds
(3) Marine Batteries
(1) 6 Farad Cap Bank
(2) 15" Compression Drivers (Loud AZZ Highs)
(1) Broken Trunk Latch courtesy of the L7s
C.A.N.I.
Conastant And NeverEnding Improvement