Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Can i use just the Bose Sub with aftermarket HU?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 07:00 PM

Can i use just the Bose Sub with aftermarket HU?

i've got a 95 Z28 that originally came with the Bose system but has since been replaced with an aftermarket head unit and front and rear speakers. however, the Bose sub in the rear is still in the car, just not hooked up. is there any way i can use the Bose sub with my aftermarket system?
Old 06-30-2003, 06:00 PM

if i wired the sub up to the rca outputs on my head unit, would that work? i think that's what i'm gonna try cause i can't get a response on this topic from anyone, anywhere.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:34 PM

That might work but probally wouldn't sound very good. You could try to wire it in series or parrell with the rear drivers side speaker and see how it sounds. The real question here is why do you even want it? It more than likely won't add much more bass to your current setup. If you're just looking for some more bass, look into a quality 10 and a stealth box, IMO.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:59 AM

i know it won't add much, but its free.. if i can just get it wired up right.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:40 PM

Please, If after reading this you have any doubts on whether or not you are capable of doing this mod, DON'T DO IT! Take it to a knowledgeable PROFESSIONAL or just forget about it. I really don't want to hear that by following these instructions you blew up your radio or speakers or even worse burnt your whole car up or something crazy like that. I cannot be blamed for what you do. This is just a reference for what I would do and have in no way been tested to actually work. Without first hand experience with car audio (i.e. you put in the replacement Hu and speakers by YOURSELF. but if you did why are you even asking this?) before trying this, I wouldn't.

You'll need to gain access to the back of the radio. First, drop the cover under the driver's side of the dash. (4 screws hold it up I believe.) (It may be easier to work if you undo the clip that holds on the rear defogger and remove the cover.) Then open the glove compartment. Inside to the left, you'll see 2 7mm bolts. Take out the one that holds on the radio surrond bezel. (The other holds up the vent, which you can clearly see.) Then take out the 2 7mm bolts on the driver's side that hold the bezel on. Pull out the bezel and place it to the side. Now on the driver's side of the radio remove the 2 7mm bolts holding in the radio and loosen the other bolt on the pass. side. now pull out the HU.

At this point, you'll need to locate the pos. and neg. input for the 5th channel (Bose sub). It may be as simple as finding the 2 wires that are left not hooked up to anything. Or as hard as running new input's from the sub itself. After you located the pos. and neg. for the fifth channel, splice into the pos. and neg. for the driver's side rear speaker. They should be Light Blue for the Pos. and Dark Blue for the Neg. now turn on the Hu. and see that it works.

Then properly cover the splices in electrical tape or w/e you prefer to use and put back in everything.

Here's a list of what color wires go to where that is found in the Haynes Manual and you will also probaly need to get a wiring diagram for your new Hu to figure everything out (Since there is mutiple uses of the same color):

Yellow ---> Ignition Power
Orange ---> battery Power
(if eqp.) Dark Blue ---> Steering Wheel controls
Grey ---> Left Front Speaker
Tan ---> Left Front Speaker
Dark Green ---> Right Front Speaker
Light Green ---> Right Front Speaker
Brown ---> Lights on Input
Grey ---> Illumination Input
Light Blue ---> Right Rear Speaker
Dark Blue ---> Right Rear Speaker
Yellow ---> Left Rear Speaker
Brown ---> Left Rear Speaker
Black ---> Ground
??? ---> 5th Channel Speaker (+)
??? ---> 5th Channel Speaker (-)

Those directions are just how I would go about adding in the 5th channel. I bear no responsiblity for what YOU do or how YOU use this information. I also bear no responsibility for how correct this information may or maynot be. There is just too many factors in determining whether or not this information is valid. From my own experience, I know of atleast 3 different Bose Systems offered in just '94 - '95 Camaros. I have the 5 channel Bose with Cass. My friend Dustin has a 4 channel Bose with cass. (Yes I said 4! I haven't heard mention of this system anywhere! But trust me his car has it.) And my friend Josh has a 3 speaker Bose set-up. All of which have different wiring for what goes where.

Btw I'd strongly suggest running a new pos. and neg. straight from the 5th channel speaker (bypassing the Bose Amp. It's nothing but problems) and wiring it in series with the rear driver's side. speaker. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, Just ask and I'll see if I can help anymore.