Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

brown bead...dynamat? need info pls/.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 07:42 PM

brown bead...dynamat? need info pls/.

theres this stuff called "brown bead" on ebay, is this stuff anygood? pretty expensive...comparable to dynamat?

i need to line the floor of a project car with it and i am hoping it quiets down the the exhaust note...

any info please lemme know
thanks
brian
Old 03-31-2004, 01:31 AM

Its called brown bread and a couple of my friends have it in their cars and it sounds just fine (well you know what i mean). and compared to the price of dynamat Extreme (which is what brown bread is comparable to) brown bread is a helluva deal.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:41 AM

Here ya go!
Old 04-03-2004, 03:40 AM

Comparable my @ss. Brown Bread is damn easy to install and mold. I've got 2 75' rolls of the stuff and love. The plan is to do the whole car in double-layer... but I don't wanta do the cabin until the roll bar's welded in (for obvioud reasons). The trunk was a PITA, but it was the first time I've ever done soundmatting. Sliced my hands good one time (then the gloves came out for the rest of the weekend.) That aluminum skin is sharp!

I can't imagine the PITA it would have been to use a heat gun. Basically I measured what I though would be a good piece, sliced it off the roll, test fit it generally, and just pressed it on when I had what I needed. It's VERY pliable and easy to work with, although you might get carried away it's so easy... I tried to "punch" a corner section down that I misaligned. Of course the aluminum skin can only stretch so much, and it torn open... but a small piece covering the corner fixed it.

Tests online showed that two layers of brown bread was equivalent to the dampening of 3 layers of dynamat extreme. Strangely thats the same stat FATMAT is throwing around now, so either it's a brown bread imitator/composition, or it's just thicker to start with and in fact only on par with Dynamat.

I dunno... got 2 big rolls and it's easy to work with for a beginner.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:37 AM

I'm a fan of spray-on more than sheet form...

I've gotten really good results using 3M ruberized undercoating... I put 6 cans on the interior of my car (did the doors with sheet, but will probably re-do with spray) and it droped the exterior noise by quite a bit, and keeps my music in the car.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by 97FormulaWS-6
I've gotten really good results using 3M ruberized undercoating...
Another cheap but quality sound deadening material. It's about $5 a can from K-mart.