Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

best sound deadner, sick of all the noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 02:03 PM

best sound deadner, sick of all the noise

looking for some deadner to remove all the noise. I have a fairly loud exhaust and some gear whine at certain speeds, both of which get pretty annoying on long drives, doesn't seem like the stock deadner works very well, plus all the noise from the trunk just moves right into the cabin. Is there anything that can substancially remove these noises, I don't care if I add 100 pounds, I want happy driving!
Old 04-05-2003, 02:40 PM

What stock deadener ?

www.b-quiet.com/

Check out the dampers, but if you wanna get extreme look to the composites.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:06 PM
Banned

do u have a 12 bolt is that why your gears whine...or different gears???
Old 04-05-2003, 06:24 PM

I use Brown Bread from B-quiet.com but b-quiet extreme will do just fine. As far as the noise, what kind of exhaust do you have? Hopefully not open headers
Old 04-05-2003, 06:26 PM

Try some Edead, I used it in my car for my subs and it worked well....its pretty cheap too

http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep/edead.htm
Old 04-05-2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by stik6shift98

do u have a 12 bolt is that why your gears whine...or different gears???
You can get gear whine out of a totally stock rear. And ones that's seen a few miles or some strip use will definately be likely to make some noise.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RallyRedTexan
You can get gear whine out of a totally stock rear. And ones that's seen a few miles or some strip use will definately be likely to make some noise.
mine has seen the strip and has a few miles as well....and no whine

oh well at least now i will know how to make it quiet when i do get it
Old 04-05-2003, 09:53 PM

Just depends on how good you luck is. I have had no problem with mine either, but my mom's car is loud as hell and hers is stock, totally stock.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:55 PM

www.fatmat.com I just ordered a sample (about 1 foot by 2 feet) for $2.99 shipped I should get it this week and I'll let you know how the quality is. It's real cheap 100sqft for $125 shipped.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:27 AM

well I bought a 10 bolt of of the paper with 4.10s, lower control arm relocation brakets and aluminum cover/girdle with studs. I figure after I sell my stock rear with 3.42s, it'll be like I got the gears for free, since I planned on buying the other parts anyway, I figured on taking a chance on buying used. The whines not to bad, just at a couple of different speeds at real light throttle, which the radio covers up, but I don't always have the radio on, so it becomes annoying. it sounds like its comes more from the driveshaft, which gets a good vibration around 75, I don't know if this would cause noise? As for the exhaust its duals, which is quiet, until I take off the tailpipes that exsit to the sides, this brings a heavy drone that'll knock you out of your seat, plus it sounds as loud as the subwoofer. Normally I have the tail pipes on, but I like them off since the car seems to have more power and throttle response. The pipes bend past 90 degrees, so it really slows the exhaust down. I really want best of both worlds, quiet for normal driving and loud for full throttle.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:32 AM

This is a great link for anybody comparing sound deadening.

I went with RaMmat. I'm happy.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by firebirdude
This is a great link for anybody comparing sound deadening.

I went with RaMmat. I'm happy.
Thanks for the link. I'm still leaning towards the fatmat.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:46 PM

Personally.....

I've used a few types of the sheet style.... and none of them come to par with the spray-on stuff.... I just use 3M ruberized undercoating... and it works better than any of the sheet "dynamat" that I've used. It takes a little more prep-work, but works a alot better....
Old 04-07-2003, 12:34 AM

Hey thanks for all the input so far guys, its helping. I find it funny the spray on stuff is mentioned as I wanted to do both the spray and layered stuff. I was straying from it cause I didn't think it would have the same materials like lead barriers, so I didn't think it would work well. Which would be better, the inside spray or outside. I don't want my undercarage to look messy, do they make a paint on type, that I can brush thick layer on, or will the spray look decent. If used it will be on thick. That and the layered stuff should make my car dead quiet.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:54 AM

I use it on the inside.. underneath the carpet... the hardest part is masking everything off... you basically have to mask everything you don't want painted... and then just spray it on.... how thick you put it on is up to you... it's just a matter of how many coats you put on... I just got done doing about 2 full coats on my car and it sounds just as good if not better than a single layer of generic dynamat.

I did the trunk of my GF's Jetta and we did about 3 coats in there with similar results.

Quick Reply: best sound deadner, sick of all the noise