Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Best Buy Blows

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 09:58 AM

Best Buy Blows

I think Best Buy is trying to rip me off. I am having a Pioneer cd/mp3/xm ready radio put into my car but they are telling me it would possibly be $400 for installation alone (due to new speakers, re-wiring, time). But I do not know if it really is a bose system or not! I had just recently bought this car and the first owner had a system in , but then gutted it and put back in the base system.

How can I tell if its Bose without them charging me out the wazoo?

Also, what speaker sizes are able to be used in a Camaro?
Thanks

I have a 96 z28 ; 67,000 miles ; t-tops ...nothing special yet
Old 12-26-2004, 10:21 AM

Re: Best Buy Blows

They generally say Bose on it somewhere. Standard speakers are 6.75 inches.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:29 AM

The Bose system would be the six or ten speaker system... at least on Firebirds it's easy to see if you have it (as their door paneling has protrusions for extra speakers).

If the stock stereo is still in there, it would have a Bose or Monsoon decal on it if it was the six or ten speaker system.

By the way, Best Buy is the devil. They won't fix a buzzing speaker in my car even though I have the freaking service plan.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:36 AM

I found a bose speaker cover in the hatch, but the deck doesn't say anything on it. The reason why I was going to best buy was the fact that I got 250 in gift cards for christmas there, otherwise I would get it done proffesionally I plan on just getting the deck and some speakers from there, then going to a proffesional audio place to do the amps, subs, and all that good stuff.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:46 AM

Also, just found out that I do not have back speakers as they were not put in. The front ones go on and off (1 or both at a time) depending on how big of a bump I drive on. So I'm wondering now if its possible to know if there is a difference in the wiring between a bose and a normal system? I'm wondering if he took out the wiring with the system he put in..oh well, either way I'm sure best buy will lie then have its way with me. Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:27 PM

More good news...YOU CAN GET YOUR MONEY BACK ON GIFT CARDS FROM BEST BUY!!!! WOOT!
Old 12-26-2004, 01:24 PM

either way best buy rips you off. I work there, lol. I get HALF off everything in car audio and installation because of the employee discount. Not bad i dont think. I just got the viper alarm system for 150$ installed. Its 450$ new without installation. haha. Thanks
Old 12-26-2004, 08:31 PM

Fact is, you probably have a bose system if the previous owner put back in the original system. Reason you will be charged $400 for time, wiring, ect... if you are only adding a head unit is because a bose system in a car has to all be inter-connected in order to work right. IF you change the head unit, then you would be MUCH BETTER OFF buying an amp and new surround speakers and change everything. Was he ripping you off? Not really. They over-charge in car installs, but he was telling you the truth about needing to rewire things because of this bose system. PEACE! K.I.R
Old 12-27-2004, 02:46 AM

Yeah, I realize that it needs to be rewired now..I think I was just angered that I woke up after 2 hours of sleep then they basically treated me like I was a dumb ***...which is kinda being proven right now. I'm talking to a guy at a local proffesional audio installer about getting just a head unit and some quality speakers put in.
Any suggestions on speakers?

This is what I'm looking at for head unit and speakers:
Unit: Pioneer DEH-P4600MP
Speakers: Pioneer TS-A1780R

I'm somewhat partial to pioneer due to it having Xm radio opposed to Sirius (more music and talk radio + cheaper!) Otherwise I would probably use Sony.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:40 PM

Stay away from Sony's Car Audio line...its sh*t.
Pioneer is a good company, personally i'd go with some of the Infinity Kappa speakers, but thats just my taste. Only real way to tell what you like is to listen to different setups...numbers only mean so much.

Dave
Old 12-27-2004, 02:44 PM

I've heard real bad things about sony subs.. and i heard real good things.. I bought 2 10's because i got them REAL cheap b/c i work at best buy. I have them hooked up to a Rockford fosgate P6002 Amp. Before i put these subs in I thought for a fact they were going to sound like **** and i was going to have to change my setup later on. But actually, they dont. They sound pretty damn good for 20$ a piece! Unbelievable. Just my .02
Old 12-27-2004, 04:24 PM

Wanna buy me a P6002 amp at your discount price and i'll pay you back and throw like $25 on top of it for your help? lol. They sound like sh*t to me, sure i don't have alot better with pos Kicker equiptment, but im saving for either Massive Audio and Diamond Audio but they make some expensive subs...plus i need a better fitting box than my garage built pos, lol.

Dave
Old 12-27-2004, 04:49 PM

Pioneer is ok in head units as they have tried hard over the past 6-7 years to catch up to a huge market going after higher quality car audio rather then cheaper quality audio. I dont like Pioneer speakers at all, just my opinion, some other have different opinions on them. Subs, JL Audio or Kicker are always a good choice. Infinity is decent for lower end sound systems for guys not wanting to spend too much on their system and just want decent sound which will still be an upgrade from the stock systems. I would pick just about any head unit over Sony. Sony has just always sucked in car audio, and their home audio kinda sucks too if you want my opinion.

My choice has and always will be Alpine when it comes to head units. They have some of the lowest tested distortion out of any head units produced. They are fairly easy to use and work very well with any amp you choose to hook up. Right now Kicker and Rockford Fosgate seem to be decent bangs for the buck when it comes to amps. They use to be around $1-1.25 per watt but now have backed down to around $.50/watt which is very afforadable now for the quality they put out. Fosgate was bought out by another company (cant remember the name now) and are being mass produced for Best Buy, which is never good in my eyes. What the hell happened to the hand made products they use to always put out? Too bad for them. PEACE! K.I.R
Old 12-28-2004, 01:11 AM

Semi-official radio to be installed Saturday

Pioneer DEH-P760MP for $269(msrp 350)
Pioneer TS-A1780R for $178 for four speakers (msrp 109 a pair)
ALL installation $105 (re-wiring, fixing the doors to fit larger speakers, installation itself)

Compared to Best Buy this is a much better price and he can build me a custom enclosure when I want to get the amp and subs put in, tre sweet.

He was trying to push Audiopipe speakers on me though, has anyone heard of Audiopipe?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:48 AM

If I could put anything in a 4th gen, or any car, itd be:

Alpine head unit
Polk speakers all the way around
Rockford Amp
Rockford subs

Thats my .02

Quick Reply: Best Buy Blows