Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Battery drains fast.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:01 PM

Battery drains fast.

If I leave my car parked for a few days, it won't start. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my amp. I didn't think there would be a power draw when the stereo and car is off. Do I need to get a cap? How can I stop this?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:56 PM

I'm interested in this too.. I have the same issue, I figured it was the GPS/radar detector, but I turn them off when I leave it parked and still have issues.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:20 PM

A couple things are possible, not knowing how much your amp is pulling and how much you use it while driving etc, it could be you need a heavy duty alternator to charge your battery properly or it could just be your battery not able to hold a charge and needs replacing. have the obvious checked first like battery, alternator to make sure they are working properly.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 AM

Original poster: your amp is turning off?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:05 PM

if the amps are wired properly and turning off it really shouldn't be affecting it at all

could be your battery is shot

i have amps in my car sat months at a time over the winter and always started
Old 01-18-2008, 02:12 PM

If your amp automatically turns off...then you should have no trouble. Amps don't drain batteries when the car is off.

I would change the battery. That is probably the problem.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:51 AM

i dont know i have 2 jl 12s one sub amp 250/2 and 500/5 amp running professionaly through monster cables. i changed out all 6 factory speakers with 4ways. added a small battery next to my amps....changed out my battery and my alternator and my amp turned off...i leave car sitting for couple days and come back and battery needs to be recharged. when i reverse out of the driveway the battery gauge goes down til i gas it... wondering if i need a 200amp alternator? any suggestions
Old 01-19-2008, 01:38 AM

could be alt, could be battery.... I had the same exact issue.... my alternator was giving up after i upgraded my system (2 amps, 4 new speakers and 2 subs).

In the end however I found that it was originally the battery which was going out. Shorted internal cell.... caused because the battery started to freeze in the winter.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:06 AM

how about me? i changed out my amp and battery still no results
Old 01-19-2008, 05:25 AM

I do not think it would be because of your stereo. it is all off when the car is off. Since you do not have a cap there is no draw from the battery for that to keep it charged. I would look to see if you are actually drawing power with the car just sitting there. Granted there is always some draw due to all the computer stuff in the car (if you have a 4th gen) But it is pretty minimum. Maybe you have a short somewhere, or a loose cable causing excessive current pull. (Had a starter that would almost drain the battery dead once when trying to start it... and it was an immediate thing. not a cranking thing).

Overall there is a very easy way to rule out your amps and stereo equipment. Disconnect the amps from the battery. let it sit, then try to start it. if you still have issues with starting it, then is is not the equipment. Since you changed alts and batteries already, I would look for anything else that could cause excessive battery drain like a messed starter or short somewhere.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:21 PM

i apperciate it i think i might have a short somewhere someone once told me that i might have some wiring problems that i should take look at.. lol should have listened huh? thanks alot for your help
Old 01-21-2008, 01:21 PM

Not sure if same applies here - I'm new to 4th gens, but....

If there is an oil pressure sending unit in the cars like the 3rd gens had, and if it's wired the same, a faulty OPSU can drain the battery over the course of 2-3 days because of the fuel pump running constantly.

In the 3rd gens, there is a direct connection between the battery and fuel pump via the OPSU, and the OPSU can go bad in such a way that makes the fuel pump run constantly, regardless of the key.

My 1992 car did this once, bugged the snot out of me trying to figure what was draining battery when everything was off. But the OPSU can make fuel pump run even when key is in pocket - so might listen for the fuel pump running on a quiet night (after you get battery recharged) and see if it runs with key in pocket.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 PM

is there any way a mechanic would b able 2 figure that out?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by bighash007
is there any way a mechanic would b able 2 figure that out?
it's an electrical problem.. they could maybe figure it out. however it might get expensive......electrical issues normally do if it is not something like the battery or alt.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:52 AM

oh okay thanks

Quick Reply: Battery drains fast.