Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Amp and CD player installation help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 05:03 AM

Amp and CD player installation help

99 Camaro
I need some help with my amp and cd player install. All I need to know is:
1. Where to run the power wire for the amp to, and how to get it there. I noticed an accessory thing under the hood going to the fuse box. Would this be used instead of the battery? Also, are there any holes in the firewall that can be used to get the wire there, and if so, where is it?
2. A good place for a ground. I plan on having the amp either in the back with the sub or under the seat. Either way, where would I find a good ground source at?
3. The CD player installation. When installing the aftermarket CD player, does the black piece around the stock head unit just pop off, and back on after the install?

I have done this before, but it was on my S-series. I am not famaliar at all with the Camaro. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-11-2003, 05:51 AM

1) Go here and read all the threads. There is a lot of useful info regarding F-body stereos.

2) Don't mount your amp under anything that will impede it's cooling. As for the ground, any existing bolt into the chassis of the car will work. Just make sure you have a clean metal to metal contact with your ground cable. Some people have used the hatch release bracket for this.

3) I have a Trans Am and the trim piece just pops off. It should be the same for a Camaro. Maybe another board member can confirm this for you.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:39 AM

i got tired of it just poping off, so i superglued it together. there are other, more expensive kits that dont piece thogether. they look better too. as for the ground, if there are no bolts in the area, the next best thing to do is put some screws into the chassis with a drill. make sure not to drill into something important.

I have my power cord running to the little red box. that is the best for me.