Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

1994 Z28 security light on (Bypassed!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:09 PM

Unhappy 1994 Z28 security light on (Bypassed!)

Hello guys, I had remote start installed on my Camaro a year ago. It has never given me problems so i'm not sure if this is related.

My problem started to happen a few months ago. The security light will be on and my car will not even attempt to start when I turn the key. The only way it goes off is if I let it sit overnight or for a few hours.

I noticed a few things will trigger this. If I leave a phone charger in the cigarette lighter over night. This will definitely trigger it and it will for sure not start in the morning. Or my window button gets stuck in the up position sometimes and this will trigger it if left stuck over night. However, It is also happens sometimes randomly. It will work fine, I will park and boom! The car is in security start with no hopes of starting for hours!

This is becoming a real pain! I know that they used a transistor to bypass the system so I have no idea why it keeps going off... It does not make sense because the transistor is obviously bypassing the security system because the car will start sometimes.

What are my options here? What can I do to fix this? Any help is in need!
Thanks guys
Old 09-16-2013, 03:20 PM

Re: 1994 Z28 security light on (Bypassed!)

Originally Posted by Nicolas Melia
Hello guys, I had remote start installed on my Camaro a year ago. It has never given me problems so i'm not sure if this is related.

My problem started to happen a few months ago. The security light will be on and my car will not even attempt to start when I turn the key. The only way it goes off is if I let it sit overnight or for a few hours.

I noticed a few things will trigger this. If I leave a phone charger in the cigarette lighter over night. This will definitely trigger it and it will for sure not start in the morning. Or my window button gets stuck in the up position sometimes and this will trigger it if left stuck over night. However, It is also happens sometimes randomly. It will work fine, I will park and boom! The car is in security start with no hopes of starting for hours!

This is becoming a real pain! I know that they used a transistor to bypass the system so I have no idea why it keeps going off... It does not make sense because the transistor is obviously bypassing the security system because the car will start sometimes.

What are my options here? What can I do to fix this? Any help is in need!
Thanks guys
I had the same issue but my car was already bypassed. Turned out that the wire they used to jump the VAT module was lose. Y ou may try jumping the terminal on the VAT system????:
Old 09-16-2013, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen68
I had the same issue but my car was already bypassed. Turned out that the wire they used to jump the VAT module was lose. Y ou may try jumping the terminal on the VAT system????:
Hmm, okay i can try that. I'm not too good with cars but I can do enough. Is there a tutorial or anything I can read on how to do that?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Who is this "they" that did the bypass?

Have you checked the bypass resistor(s) under the steering column? It is either by itself or in a small case of some kind. Remove the panel below the steering wheel and look for something like that spliced into the wires or attached with a connector. It could just be loose or defective. Also, sometimes the resistor values are not selected carefully or the quality of the parts used is inadequate to maintain the same resistance over temperature swings (summer/winter).

Here is a photo of one that is used for emergency use only. The location should be the same.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 09-16-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:37 PM

Some little car/stereo joint in town. Thanks for your suggestion Gary, I will crack it open and get a new transistor to redo it. I found a few good charts online. Ill see how this goes and let you guys know. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:44 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Originally Posted by Nicolas Melia
Some little car/stereo joint in town. Thanks for your suggestion Gary, I will crack it open and get a new transistor to redo it. I found a few good charts online. Ill see how this goes and let you guys know. Thanks!
Hope I am not being too pedantic about this, but it isn't a transistor, it is a resistor, or more likely 2 to 4 of them in a series and/or parallel configuration. Try to get metal film type resistors if you can. The carbon types will drift more with temperature changes and so you will have to match the value more closely if using them.