Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

12 inch sub in rear driver cubby?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 PM

Smile 12 inch sub in rear driver cubby?

I did search, and nothing.

I am wondering if anyone has fit a 12 inch sub in that little cubby in the drivers side rear compartment? I bought the car with a 10 inch in there, but I want to upgrade it to a 12 if I can sneak it in there.

I can make my own inclosure, and if I had to I could mount it with the magnet facing out.

I just just dont want to lose the T-Top holders...

Thanks for any opinions!
Cody
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 AM

Re: 12 inch sub in rear driver cubby?

i dont think it will fit, or have the needed volume, but give it a try. If you mount it reverse wont it be in the way of the T-tops. they sit very close to the face of the cubby.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chevyssoccer
i dont think it will fit, or have the needed volume, but give it a try. If you mount it reverse wont it be in the way of the T-tops. they sit very close to the face of the cubby.
Nope, I can move the speaker in a bit. Im just throwing out suggestions.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 PM

The issue isn't going to be if it can fit or not, the issue is going to be the airspace the speaker needs. There's not a ton of volume in that small area, and most 12" subs need a minimum of 1 cubic foot of air in a sealed box and that space isn't even close to that.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
The issue isn't going to be if it can fit or not, the issue is going to be the airspace the speaker needs. There's not a ton of volume in that small area, and most 12" subs need a minimum of 1 cubic foot of air in a sealed box and that space isn't even close to that.
Damnit, you are absolutely right there. I guess I never started to think about that aspect.. only if it would fit or not.. hmm
Old 03-31-2011, 12:49 AM

If you're capable of making your own fiberglass enclosure it actually will fit you have to know the minimum amount of space your sub will need take measurements inside the cubby hole and go from there. I made two enclosures one for each side and I made them to where I could easily unplug em and take em out if I needed to shed some weight for a race. This was a few years back but I used the audiobahn eternal series with a ma audio 4000watt amp it was a competition setup running over 12,000 watts throughout the whole system. I ended up selling the entire system I got older and my ears just couldnt take the abuse anymore. For the enclosure I started with a base plate and a speaker ring and built a frame around that, in order to get the amount of space you need the speaker will sit out about 2 inches.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 PM

wow that is really cool! I do have a question though, If the speaker had to sit out 2 inches, did the T-Tops interfere with the speakers when they were in the trunk? I drive around with the tops off 99% of the time so this would be a deal breaker.. I like the dual speaker idea though for sure.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chevyssoccer
yes it will, I have one of my amps there, its not two inches thick and one of the t-tops just touches it. plus speakers move in and out and arent made of metal
Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdStud
wow that is really cool! I do have a question though, If the speaker had to sit out 2 inches, did the T-Tops interfere with the speakers when they were in the trunk? I drive around with the tops off 99% of the time so this would be a deal breaker.. I like the dual speaker idea though for sure.
T-tops fit without a problem
Old 04-01-2011, 04:01 PM

Hmm, I may have to save up and put two JL 10's in there then.. haha. 12's require more space, and Im not entering competitions. I just want it to sound ballin when Im cruisin around inside the car. I dont need it to shake the teeth out of people a block away
Old 04-01-2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdStud
Hmm, I may have to save up and put two JL 10's in there then.. haha. 12's require more space, and Im not entering competitions. I just want it to sound ballin when Im cruisin around inside the car. I dont need it to shake the teeth out of people a block away
LOL that would be a good idea goin with the 10's and a good idea staying away from competition systems nobody will want to ride with you when you crank up the system halfway and your eyes start to twitch and your throat closes up lol you look at the passenger and there sayin please turn it down TURN IT DOOOWN!! lol ahh yeah those were the good ole days..
Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 PM

im not nearly as ambitious as OP, but it seems that fitting a 10" in that cubby is easy? i would love to do that. can i get a premade box? ive never worked with fiberglass before. also, does the factory monsoon system they used in 02 have a sub output? thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 09:58 PM

You can buy one, but the cheapest I found was 150. F that noise. Im almost done building my bigger box for that drivers side cubby, and I have it spec'ed out at .65 cubic feet. Not bad! The one that came with the car was only .3. Woot Woot! Just waiting for my 10 inch JL 3w3 sub to show up so I can cut out the mounting hole, then Ill seal it all up and shoot it with spray paint to help seal it up. The front side you see will be carpeted though.