Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: Should we wait till we have more info on Zeta before passing judgment?
Yes, lets see what our next Camaro might look like before we bash it.
64.44%
No, Zeta doesn't fit what a Camaro is.
11.11%
50/50
24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Zeta Camaro...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 03:20 PM

Zeta Camaro...

A simple non-biased pole for non-biased results. Lets see how this one goes.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:25 PM

Re: Zeta Camaro...

Much better.

Go figure... an intelligent, non-baised poll.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:33 PM

The Zeta is a brand new, and therefore superior chassis than what Camaro has been on. It's also obviously going to be built to new standards, regardless as to suspension because it's going to cover all of GM's RWD programs in the world, save Corvette & Cadillac.

I think all this Camaro-Zeta bashing is completely silly.

As for design, we should wait till we see it in person. Heck, my opinion of the CTS took a 180 degree turn from seeing it in a magazine & seeing it in person.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:34 PM

Thank you. I don't think anyone, including our resident insiders, knows enough about what Zeta will be in all its iterations, to make a sound judgement of if it will be acceptable for a Camaro or not.

That's my whole point. Some folks are going off what they know at this moment, which is still awfully shaky data. Fact is we still don't know just how flexible this chassis is and how much variation there will be.

To quote RP "keep the faith."

As I said in the Monte Camarlo post, if GM actually built a Camaro that wasn't a true Camaro, I think advocates internally like RP would steer GM to use a different name. It just makes no sense to build a non-camaro and saddle it with the baggage of the Camaro name AND tick off all us enthusiasts.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:38 PM

If it is absolutly perfect in every way but weighs 3600lbs. I'll still buy it and deal with the 200 extra pounds...... but a 3400lbs. 6th gen better be waiting in the wings
Old 12-13-2004, 03:43 PM

guys, if the '08 camaro comes out to be ****ty... just buy a GTO or CTS-V they will be WAY more affordable in 3 years and the aftermarket will be huge by then.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
The Zeta is a brand new, and therefore superior chassis than what Camaro has been on. It's also obviously going to be built to new standards, regardless as to suspension because it's going to cover all of GM's RWD programs in the world, save Corvette & Cadillac.

I think all this Camaro-Zeta bashing is completely silly.

As for design, we should wait till we see it in person. Heck, my opinion of the CTS took a 180 degree turn from seeing it in a magazine & seeing it in person.
That pretty much sums up my opinion as well.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:57 PM

here is a link to a car with zeta
http://popularhotrodding.com/feature...amaro_11_z.jpg
does it really look that big? also, the chassis doesn't have alot to do with how high a car's roofline is, but how wide it is
heres another
http://motortrend.com/future/concept...velite01_l.jpg
a couple people mentioned it would be bigger than the f-body chassis and you guys freak out. its not like its being build on a truck platform or anything
http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphot...505.001.1L.jpg

Last edited by number77; 12-13-2004 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by number77
does it really look that big? also, the chassis doesn't have alot to do with how high a car's roofline is, but how wide it is
heres another
a couple people mentioned it would be bigger than the f-body chassis and you guys freak out. its not like its being build on a truck platform or anything
Two bad examples.

As discussed elsewhere in this forum, the Opel concept ends up may not even be on Zeta but on a completely different platform. (I believe one rumor was modified-Sigma.) Additionally also discussed, but more recently, the Buick is an E-car based on Zeta. The Camaro will be an SP-car and surely on a shorter wheelbase.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by number77
heres another
The first one, although described by press releases as Zeta, is actually a re-bodied CTS.....it's Sigma.

The second is characterized as Zeta....but we don't really know what the donor chassis is under that sheetmetal.....or how it really relates to Zeta.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:18 PM

Interesting how THIS poll, which is legitimately worded... has almost the EXACT OPPOSITE RESULTS of the biased poll that Z284ever posted.

It's not even an issue of who is right, it's just the point of making things worth while...

My view on the subject is this:

If Zeta is incapable of producing a proper, low slung sports car, then I would want to hold out for a later platform (assuming there is one coming)... however, from what we know in general about Zeta, we can't rule that out.

And again, *MY* biggest concern about Zeta is not overall LENGTH, but cowl height... which used to be talked about as a potential issue a while back.

Overall LENGTH, which seems to be some other people's main issue... is almost a moot point... just because the WHEELBASE is longer doesn't mean the OVERALL CAR is going to be longer... the overhangs on the 4th Gen are basically enourmous... put the wheels to the corners, chop off some overhang, and you have a potentially stunning looking Camaro on your hands.... as long as it doesn't sit up too high because of a firewall issue.

Last edited by Darth Xed; 12-13-2004 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:21 PM

I'm with you Darth. Cowl height is important. I'd be more concerned about roof height ultimately, because as was said high cowl cars can look good (Chrysler 300c).
Old 12-13-2004, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
I'm with you Darth. Cowl height is important. I'd be more concerned about roof height ultimately, because as was said high cowl cars can look good (Chrysler 300c).

That's a valid point... Techincally, my concern about the cowl height is directly linked to overall height as well.

My assumption is that if the cowl is overly high, the whole car will be higher, because the passenger compartment will need to be higher, or more upright, to position the driver properly to see the road in front of him.

All that being said... the current GTO is a fraction of an inch LOWER in overall height then the 2005 Mustang.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
That's a valid point... Techincally, my concern about the cowl height is directly linked to overall height as well.

My assumption is that if the cowl is overly high, the whole car will be higher, because the passenger compartment will need to be higher, or more upright, to position the driver properly to see the road in front of him.

All that being said... the current GTO is a fraction of an inch LOWER in overall height then the 2005 Mustang.
True. I think even if the cowl ends up a tad high, there's enough fudge factor with hood slope, dash design etc to make it work. It may not be ideal but if its better than the 4th gen's look-over distance it will still be an improvement.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:37 PM

I guess I'm less concerned about cowl height as most. Why? Again, look at the current GTO v.s. the original Camaro...

2005 GTO:
Wheelbase 109.8 in.
Length 189.8 in.
Width 72.5 in.
Height 54.9 in.
Tread - F (Track) 61.4 in.
Tread - R (Track) 62.1 in.

1967 Camaro:
Wheelbase 108.0 in.
Length 184.7 in.
Width 72.5 in.
Height 51.4 in.
Tread - F (Track) 59.0 in.
Tread - R (Track) 58.9 in.

Everyone who has ever rode in or driven a 1st gen Camaro knows how flippin high the cowl height is in those cars. Yet the overall height is less than that of the current GTO. That said, I'm confident that a lower profile Zeta coupe is possible.

Now let's wait for GM to show us... unless someone has proof otherwise and is willing to share it with us.

Quick Reply: Zeta Camaro...