Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

You know you're good when you get praise from BMW (like Cadillac has!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 10:43 AM

Exclamation You know you're good when you get praise from BMW (like Cadillac has!)

Who would have ever believed this just 24 months ago!

[B]BMW chief gives kudos to Cadillac, praises brand building effort[B]

By BOB ENGLISH
Automotive News

CAGLIARI, Sardinia - At the launch here of the redesigned 5 series, BMW's top executive took time out to praise Cadillac.

Helmut Panke, chairman of BMW AG, says Cadillac is leading other North American brands in trying to establish a brand identity and common design theme throughout its lineup, from cars to SUVs.

"It has made a strong effort to reposition itself and do it consistently, not a model here and then something completely strange and inconsistent on another side of the market," he says.

Brand building takes several years and several model generations, he says. Cadillac has to move step by step to build on its strengths, something BMW has been doing for the past 30 years or more.

"Everybody (now) knows what BMW stands for, and maybe at the end everybody will know what Cadillac stands for," he says. "Maybe this is one of the secret successes of (Vice Chairman) Bob Lutz, giving the brand enough freedom within the GM organization that they can follow this direction and bring those products to market.

"Let's see if all those products will be accepted or not, but at least it's a clear-cut effort to make the brand discernible and recognizable in the marketplace."

Cadillac will start this summer selling two new vehicles with the angular CTS design theme: the XLR roadster and the SRX sport wagon.

Also moving to re-establish their North American image, Panke says, are Chrysler, with cars such as the 300C, and Ford, with its Mustang concept.

With the 300C, a full-sized sedan with rear-wheel drive, Chrysler is going back to what is authentically American, not following either a European or Japanese lead, he says.

"What you see is a revisiting of where the strength of the North American industry lay in the past, not just copying what others are doing." The production car off the 300C concept is due in the first quarter of 2004.

The Dodge Magnum, a wagon, also is an attempt to revive an American classic. "We all wonder whether station wagons are really coming back. But going back to some of the elements of what a station wagon used to be, making it modern, making it clearly a Dodge, is saying we don't want to copy," Panke says. The Magnum is due in spring 2004.

Says Panke, "We should all look to a coming back and strengthening of position among the North American makes."
Old 05-19-2003, 06:47 PM

It's good to hear praise for a GM product - especially from overseas. Kudos to Cadillac! Hope it doesn't go to their head and they keep the momentum going.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:30 PM

Rather amazing that your presumed #1 competitor is giving you praise!
Old 05-20-2003, 12:28 AM

The phrase -
Keep your friends close - and your enemies closer.

comes to mind........

How nice of them to say all those things........
Old 05-20-2003, 12:58 AM

What a great way to say that brand identity is not bad after all.

Perhaps GTO looking similarly to GP is not so bad after all.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:53 AM

Sorry I dont see Caddy being "that" close to the car a BMW is.

IMHO Caddy is still competing with Lincoln.Even though Lincoln doesnt have a boat load of SUV's in its line up...Sure the XLR will be here soon,But it is a niche vehicle,It will sell because it is new,Then it will taper off like the Avalanche.

Kudos to Caddy though,They have come along way,Aside from their styling which I dont care for these days,They are well built vehicles....
Old 05-21-2003, 08:10 AM

I predict that the XLR will do very well and not just at the initial introduction. I think Cadillac has definatly moved beyond Lincoln as far as competition goes and on to bigger things(not that they still don't compete with them).

I too am a bit skeptical as to why BMW would offer such praise for a competitor........................
Old 05-21-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by SNEAKY NEIL
I think Cadillac has definatly moved beyond Lincoln as far as competition goes and on to bigger things(not that they still don't compete with them).
I agree. Cadillac is blowing Lincoln out of the water right now and that trend doesn't look like it will end soon. While Ford still fumbles around trying to find a direction for Lincoln, GM has made Cadillac priority #1.

Honestly, besides Navigator which may be a better all-around product than Escalade, what does Lincoln build that gets your attention? Even the LS is becoming old-hat.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:28 PM

Believe me, the Navigator is not a better product than the Escalade. I've driven them both, and the Escalade is far nicer. Not that the Navigator is bad because it is very nice, but the Escalade is one awesome machine.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
Believe me, the Navigator is not a better product than the Escalade. I've driven them both, and the Escalade is far nicer. Not that the Navigator is bad because it is very nice, but the Escalade is one awesome machine.
I'm just going by what I have heard, that the Navigator has a far superior interior and some more innovative features (electric foldup running boards?)
Old 05-21-2003, 01:31 PM

3 points I would like to make.

1-If Ford were dumping money into Lincoln it would be out there just as Caddy is right now.

2-LS becoming like an old hat?C'mon that is redickulous.

3-Saying a Escalade is nicer then a Navigator is a joke.Sorry you get more for your dollar in the Navi.Ride,Fit and finish,Interior materials .Heck you have to compare the Escalade to an Expedition.And even that is giving it a run for its money.......

When (And if!)the Escalade gets more to distinguish its self from your run of the mill Tahoe other then a front end then please feel free to post your comment then.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:54 PM

Hey, guess who, guess what? Have you ever actually seen or driven an Escalade? Judging but your post, I would assume not. The Caddy differs from the Tahoe in more than just a grill. Not only does it have a completely different grill, it has different bumpers, side panels, hood, running boards, taillights, CHMSL, wheels, luggage rack, and door handles. That's just the exterior. Inside, there is a different gauge cluster, NAV, seats, steering wheel, sound system, center stack, wood, door panels, and other small goodies. Powertrain comes in a specialy tuned 6.0 with 345hp and full time AWD, and with that comes a truely unique ride and handling. This machine very much feels like a quality piece, and it is. So before you spout off what you obviously know nothing about, study up.

Last edited by 1990 Turbo Grand Prix; 05-21-2003 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by guess who
2-LS becoming like an old hat?C'mon that is redickulous.
I dunno, why is it rediculous? The LS has been basically the same car since it debuted, and only recently got a power upgrade in the V8....the $45,000 V8. Apparently it is becoming a stale product to its market because sales have been steadily declining. I've been critical of CTS-V's rumored price but if, for only a couple grand more, you can get a 400 HP CTS with a stick and track-tuned suspension--why buy the mushy Lincoln?

Is anyone still buying Town Cars or Continentals these days???
Old 05-21-2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
Hey, guess who, guess what? Have you ever actually seen or driven an Escalade? Judging but your post, I would assume not. The Caddy differs from the Tahoe in more than just a grill. Not only does it have a completely different grill, it has different bumpers, side panels, hood, running boards, taillights, CHMSL, wheels, luggage rack, and door handles. That's just the exterior. Inside, there is a different gauge cluster, NAV, seats, steering wheel, sound system, center stack, wood, door panels, and other small goodies. Powertrain comes in a specialy tuned 6.0 with 345hp and full time AWD, and with that comes a truely unique ride and handling. This machine very much feels like a quality piece, and it is. So before you spout off what you obviously know nothing about, study up.
Yes,Sorry there isnt enough to make me think that this isnt just some other GM suv. Besides having 345hp what else can you say to make someone want to buy one?What does it have that makes it so "special"?What could you say to make me buy that instead of a Navigator.Full loaded vs fully loaded.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:07 AM

Well, how about you tell us what you think the Navigator has over the Escalade and I hope you don't say anything mechanical. You say that you can't distiguish the Caddy from a Tahoe but the visual differences between the two are the same as the visual differences in the Lincoln and the expedition. Don't forget that Cadillac actually restyled the Escalade unlike the Navigator which is virtualy identical to the previous generation. I guess I could say that it's just another Ford SUV.............................

Quick Reply: You know you're good when you get praise from BMW (like Cadillac has!)