Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Yet another.....but really nice, 5th gen concept......

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 08:03 AM

Oh, to allude to anothe thread that lost its focus...

We know how much it matters to the car's success and business case, so what's the base/V6 version look like?
Old 02-28-2003, 08:59 PM

Thumbs up

Very cool Nice work , and exactly what needs to be done IMO , which is to recall all gens and still maintain a modern look. I only hope Chevrolet is watching
Old 03-01-2003, 05:15 AM

Unhappy

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but has anyone noticed that the front and rear is directly off of the Dodge Charger concept?!

The artist replaced the gunsight grill with a Chevrolet bar, added clear taillight lenses out back, replacing the Charger's red ones, and finished it off with a GM 1st gen-f/Mopar f-body (yes, both companies had the same body designation!) roofline and wheel creases from the heavily slammed Camaro computer rendering from Road & Track magazine of about a year ago.

The artwork is top rate, but you are cheering a car that is very likely to bear far and away more than a passing resemblence to the next Dodge Charger rather than to a Camaro!

Camaro's essence indeed!

Last edited by guionM; 03-01-2003 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:34 PM

That rear end rendering is new. I've just seen it for the first time.
Frankly, I liked the car more when I could only imagine the rear.

The front 3/4 shot got me excited. The rear shot leaves me cold.

Try again.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:06 PM

Aight, just saw the back for the 1st time. After looking at it all, I am left with the view that the body and sides of this car are really good, but the front and the back, no way. The front bumper is just ridiculous. The back I actually like better. Don't like the tailpipes, (bring back 3" round, angle cut, normal looking tips already, on both sides of the bumper) and needs a spoiler. I like the shape of the taillights, but I don't like that they are clear and ricer-like, and I like the fact that the license plate would be put back in the middle and not in the bumper. It is a good start but needs work.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:17 PM

I could DEFINATELY live with this car!!!
Old 03-03-2003, 07:42 AM

Yeah, the more I see of it now the more it looks like the '99 Charger concept. If you just glance at it, it almost looks like it even says "Charger" acroos the back. And you can put taillights like that on a Camaro.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:32 PM

Man, this is the one really cool...
Old 03-03-2003, 07:00 PM

guionM, nice call I see the resemblance now. I still think its pretty nice, but I agree not a Camaro. I did like the Charger concept it was very cool. I hate cars with 2 xtra doors, but they did make those doors damn near invisible, Chevy did the same on the SS concept. I hope it makes it to production.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:36 AM

....from the designer

Hey Guys, thanks for the constructive criticism.
I had done many different versions and sketches as far as front end treatments go. As far as it being a rip off of the dodge charger concept it is not. I do not "photochop" as you guys say it, I hand draw all my own designs as original designs and render them using medias from pencil sketches, renderings using marker pencil and photoshop. I use photoshop as a rendering tool, not a tool to manipulate existing photos. I think that some guys that can photoshop existing photos to make them look like something else can do some pretty cool realistic looking pics. But that is not what I do. Due to time constraints in my own schedule, I didn't do a lot of varitions to flush out the rear like I would've liked to have. I had a lot of people asking me how the rear would look so I did something quick. In the rear view, it's hard to see it at that angle but there is a blended in half blister or "kick-up" to represent a spoiler treatment. So the rear decklid doesn't just shoot straight off the back.
I always love to hear good solid constructive criticism on my designs. I think it's very easy to look at ANY vehicle whether production or concept that it rips this off or that off or it's a copy of this and that. I could sit back and say that about a lot of stuff too. Look at the C5....remember back when this car came out and every magazine under the sun said it was an Acura NSX combined with an RX7? Just trying to make a point.
There may be some slight similarities between my Camaro 5th gen design to the Charger if you squint hard enough.
I'm just glad that GMI put together the contest and I had a lot of fun coming up with some concepts for a possible 5th gen Camaro and to show GM my support towards bringing back and American icon, the Camaro.

John

If anybody is interested, check out the rest of my webpage.
RODDER'S EDGE

Last edited by JohnnyGMachine; 03-05-2003 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:46 AM

John, you are one talented designer my friend. I'll be honest, I'm not too thrilled with the rear of your Camaro concept. But there are certain elements of your front 3/4 view that I find BREATHETAKING!

I'm sure that you are pressed for time, but I'd like to see how you could develop the Camaro concept further.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:04 AM

pressed for time LOL

Well I won't make excuses but I also won't say that my design is perfect or 100% the way I want it either. There are some tweaks and minor changes that I will be making to my design. In my spare time between my full-time job, spending time with my family and working on my Mustang I try to put some time aside for working on my designs from concepts to working on my hot rod business on the side. I sneak in sleeping and eating in there somewhere LOL!
Anyways, thanks! I made a few comments on the GMI site under the post showing my concept discussing what changes I will be making to my concept to further refine it. One of the things I thought a lot of people might like that I saw a lot of Pro-Touring guys doing was putting a slightly larger diameter wheel and tire combo in the back similar to the way the vette is now.

Again thanks. I'm always open tolisten to other peoples views on what they think - we're all enthusiasts who want to see the Camaro come back badder than ever - and that coming from a Mustang guy! Hey - before you guys yell at me I am looking to add an 89 RS Camaro with a 350 to my garage this weekend that I will be doing some sweet custom work to - possibly designing my own ground effects kit and having it produced by C-tek in California....you know the guys that build all the muscle cars for the Big 3 car companies. See what happens.

-John