Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

would anyone be upset if they totally replaced the Z28 with the SS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 12:43 PM

The big block is dead!?! Are you guys serious!?!

Then please explain the popularity of the 502 GM crate motor, the limited edition $20K ZL1 454, the new GM 8.1L.... are you really going to sit there and say all these BB's are going into trucks!?!

I guess then the GM V-12 is only going into trucks as well!?!

lol

Let's face the facts here. The 5th gen Camaro performance model is going to run you $40K+ when its finally released. Who do you think is going to buy? Old farts like me that want some nostalgia that's who!

Base V6, Z28 sbc, Limited SS BBC.... that's a winning formula in my book.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:49 PM

I would never miss the $$ model. The Z/28 on the other hand
Old 12-27-2002, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by jg95z28
The big block is dead!?! Are you guys serious!?!

Then please explain the popularity of the 502 GM crate motor, the limited edition $20K ZL1 454, the new GM 8.1L.... are you really going to sit there and say all these BB's are going into trucks!?!

I guess then the GM V-12 is only going into trucks as well!?!

lol

Let's face the facts here. The 5th gen Camaro performance model is going to run you $40K+ when its finally released. Who do you think is going to buy? Old farts like me that want some nostalgia that's who!

Base V6, Z28 sbc, Limited SS BBC.... that's a winning formula in my book.
Let me ammend my statement... I meant that I think the Big Block is dead in passenger car applications from the factory... can't argue it... when was the last time a Big Block was offered ina passenger car? Crate motors and trucks are a different story.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by transam8
I like that idea. Why not have both? SS and Z/28 both have storied pasts with Camaro and Chevrolet. Bring the SS back as the ground pounding stop light racer with some heritage styling touches. The Z/28 could be the all around autoX car. Give the consumers more choices. Let them decide which car fits them the best. It would be like Ford with Mach 1 (SS) and Cobra (Z/28). Two different cars for two different buyers. It's all about choices...

-Mike
How would Chevy make them different enough to justify both of them?
Old 12-27-2002, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever
How would Chevy make them different enough to justify both of them?
The same way Ford does it now. The Z/28 would be the Cobra(ZO6 ) type car, while the SS would have more of a nostalgic feel a la Mach 1. The SS could have more options and gingerbread, along with some classic styling touches. The Z/28 could be the raw all out weekend racer just like it was in the beginning. Not everyone wants the gingerbread options that a top model entails. On the other hand, not everyone wants a no compromise all out performance car. Both consumers could be pleased. It's kind of like you base Corvette: great all-around performance, many options, and a set-up that would be liveable for most on a daily basis. This is how I envision SS. The ZO6 (Z/28) on the other hand: even better performance, less options/gingerbread, weight reduction, in other words an all out performance car.

-Mike
Old 12-27-2002, 06:34 PM

Hmmmm, that sounds pretty good.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:51 PM

The same way Ford does it now. The Z/28 would be the Cobra(ZO6 ) type car, while the SS would have more of a nostalgic feel a la Mach 1. The SS could have more options and gingerbread, along with some classic styling touches. The Z/28 could be the raw all out weekend racer just like it was in the beginning. Not everyone wants the gingerbread options that a top model entails. On the other hand, not everyone wants a no compromise all out performance car. Both consumers could be pleased. It's kind of like you base Corvette: great all-around performance, many options, and a set-up that would be liveable for most on a daily basis. This is how I envision SS. The ZO6 (Z/28) on the other hand: even better performance, less options/gingerbread, weight reduction, in other words an all out performance car.

-Mike
Ok...I think I like that. But do you really think Chevy would go to all that trouble to differentiate two top end Camaro models?

Let's look at the Mach 1 and Cobra comparison again. Two different engines, different manual trans's, one with a live rear axle and one with IRS, different interiors, different wheels, shaker hood scoop for Mach 1.....etc.........

This would take an incredible level of commitment from GM for the Camaro to replicate.

I like your description.....I just don't know how willing GM is.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever
Ok...I think I like that. But do you really think Chevy would go to all that trouble to differentiate two top end Camaro models?

This would take an incredible level of commitment from GM for the Camaro to replicate.
That is what's truly sad. It's what they should do, but I very much doubt they will. Camaro has been a legend not only to Chevrolet, but to the automotive community for 35 years and we have to ask this question. How can Ford do it with the financial situation that they are in? GM is making money, yet is unwilling to spend it on one of their most storied, respected, and recognized names. Something is very wrong with that....

-Mike
Old 12-27-2002, 11:12 PM

EXACTLY. I've been thinking that for a long time. I don't see why alot more effort or at least the same amount of effort put in previous Gens can't happen. If a 5th Gen is treated the same way the 4th was, it will not succeed.

Last edited by IZ28; 12-28-2002 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:03 AM

-Mike
What about those people that want the top end performance model but dont want to sacrifice any of the "gingerbread" options? Whats up with that? You cant have your cake and eat it to? That would suck, I think
Old 12-28-2002, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by ReznorZ28
What about those people that want the top end performance model but dont want to sacrifice any of the "gingerbread" options? Whats up with that? You cant have your cake and eat it to? That would suck, I think
Well, that's the problem that you run into when trying to make the models "different" enough to be considered. I'm not saying that the Z/28 should have plastic seats or rubber flooring or anything to that extent. If it were a similar setup to the ZO6 (which is pretty nicely equiped) option wise, would it appeal to you? I just don't think that we can have cars that look exactly the same with the same options available to each model. Each model needs to be different with a little personality of its own imo.

-Mike
Old 12-28-2002, 10:14 AM

Scott has said this before, and it is obviously true....

Hardly anyone buys stripper cars... not many people want to go buy a new car and get little equipment/options.

It'd probably end up costing GM more to offer a stripper version.

As far as I'm conserned, power windows, locks, mirrors, etc should all be standard ! By only having to develop one mechanism and assemble only one mechanism, time and money would probably be saved.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:53 AM

...But they do not have any trouble selling a bare bones (compared to other corvettes) Z06.

I think power windows/locks, A/C and power mirrors are a given in today's market place. However, I don't think that I should be forced to take and pay extra for stuff I don't want or need, like leather seats, power seats, dual zone climate controls, internet access, HUD, heated seats, etc. or a $3500 hoodscoop/Z28 devaluation package.

Sure its neat stuff, but adding all that junk takes a sports car and turns it into a luxury cruiser.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:02 PM

I think PW, PDL, AC are a standard given now-a-days. And just to clear the record...I don't think a future Z/28 necessarilly needs to be an absolute stripper.

Look to the Z06 for your Z/28 paradigms. Nicely appointed ...BUT, without unecessary frills.

Personally, I don't need convertible or T-Tops, auto or things like power seats. I would like the seating surfaces to look and feel high quality however.

The manually adjusted, Recaro seats that were in my Corrado...were the best seats I've ever had.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:39 PM

Implying that Z06 is a stripper is a real reach.... sure, it has less frills than you can get on an LS1 Corvette.... but not nearly enough to say it's a stripper, IMO...

Leather seats. (Z06 specific even)
Available heads-up display.
Dual Zone climate.
Memory Package.
Remote Keyless Entry.
Dual electric, heated mirrors.

Maybe not exotic stuff, but not things I'd say would be standard/available on a stripper car....

Quick Reply: would anyone be upset if they totally replaced the Z28 with the SS?