Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The winner of the Crown Vic replacement is...

Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM

The winner of the Crown Vic replacement is...

Crown Vic is dead and Chevy, Dodge, and Ford all have new police car offerings. It has been about 1 year and the next cop car king looks like it is the Ford Taurus.

So far out of all the municipalities around me it looks like most have decided to go with Ford. Not only do all their current electronics work in the new cars (no need to buy new spare parts) but I feel the real reason for their popularity is AWD. I'm in the north east so this makes a lot of sense. 2nd choice seems to be the Charger. The new Ford Explorer is even stealing some sales away from the Tahoe.

NY State Police are testing all 3 cars. They bought 10 of each and the test cars are black instead of navy blue. Well today I just saw a navy blue Taurus, I think that means they picked winner.

Name:  aHtFWpuh.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  189.5 KB
Name:  lkW2N8Bh.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  200.9 KB
Name:  92NPOaHh.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  176.3 KB
Name:  n8z4Alsh.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  177.7 KB
Name:  fki5yF1h.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  231.2 KB
Old 06-14-2013, 03:42 PM

Re: The winner of the Crown Vic replacement is...

I see Caprices, lots of Chargers, Tahoes, Explorers, and have seen only a few Tauri (my Latin is rusty). Could very well be regional.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:03 PM
West South Central Moderator

I have yet to see a Taurus cop car. Lots of Chargers in my area & a few Caprices. Apparently the Caprice will blow away a Charger & get better fuel economy.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 PM

Chargers seem to dominate around here, though I do see the occasional Taurus and less-occasional (so far) Caprice.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:59 AM

Our Twp buys whatever is cheapest.

We currently have 2 impalas (2009), 1 4wd tahoe, and get this...a 2002 mercury gran marquis as an unmarked (not police edition), and a Jeep gran cherokee laredo unmarkes (not police package).....

Blahhhhh. I want caprices.... But the floor shifter makes em hard to outfit we hear.... Left over impalas will prob be next....again.

Co-Owner/Admin @ LTXtech.com
Old 06-15-2013, 09:16 PM

They went with the Taurus in the Bahamas.

Originally Posted by popo8
Our Twp buys whatever is cheapest.

We currently have 2 impalas (2009), 1 4wd tahoe, and get this...a 2002 mercury gran marquis as an unmarked (not police edition), and a Jeep gran cherokee laredo unmarkes (not police package).....

Blahhhhh. I want caprices.... But the floor shifter makes em hard to outfit we hear.... Left over impalas will prob be next....again.

The VF Caprice will have a column shifter.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:38 PM

"The VF Caprice will have a column shifter."

Isthat an option? Column or floor shifter?

Thats my assigned vehicle... Id love to see more tahoes...
Old 06-15-2013, 09:47 PM

I think it will be standard.

Chevrolet Caprice PPV - Holden’s Caprice PPV to cop column shifter | GoAuto

Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 PM

Thats odd because the last one i saw was on the floor...

Old 06-16-2013, 01:20 AM

The shifter is currently on the floor. The 2014 Caprice will be updated with the console shifter and new interior.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
The shifter is currently on the floor. The 2014 Caprice will be updated with the console shifter and new interior.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
ahhhh... understood. thanku.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:46 PM

Chargers with Taurui become more common as far as new cars go with the local guys. State police still seem to be using CVs for marked cars and Impalas for unmarked duty along with a few Tahoes
Old 06-17-2013, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Crown Vic is dead and Chevy, Dodge, and Ford all have new police car offerings. It has been about 1 year and the next cop car king looks like it is the Ford Taurus.

So far out of all the municipalities around me it looks like most have decided to go with Ford. Not only do all their current electronics work in the new cars (no need to buy new spare parts) but I feel the real reason for their popularity is AWD. I'm in the north east so this makes a lot of sense. 2nd choice seems to be the Charger. The new Ford Explorer is even stealing some sales away from the Tahoe.

NY State Police are testing all 3 cars. They bought 10 of each and the test cars are black instead of navy blue. Well today I just saw a navy blue Taurus, I think that means they picked winner.

Gotta disagree with you. Charger is cleaning up in the law enforcement business right now. Taurus seems to be making inroads into agencies that might have picked up Impalas. Taurus' Interceptor has AWD, which I'm sure plays a big role in decisions made in snowy local areas.

Caprice still has a lot of potential for growth. There is already a pretty sizable "aftermarket" of Caprice police gear.

Crown Vic became popular with police because it was around so long there was a heap of "plug and play" items available for police departments where they didn't even have to do much if any rewiring. The Charger has been around long enough that it also has quite a lot of those systems (the restyled Charger is still the same under the skin).
Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 PM

I agree with guioM, the Charger has taken the police market. However there is a lot of the market up for grabs in the coming months and into next year.

Currently the W-body Impala 9C1 is the second best selling police car. The Impala 9C1 will be ending production later this summer, and as far as I know there are no plans to make the new Epsilon Impala with a 9C1 package. A lot of city, university police depts. and security agencies have been using the Impala. So it will be interesting to see what these depts. gravitate to.

Locally everyone used Crown Vics for years now our state police went with Caprices, city police went exclusively to Explorers, and the Sheriff's Office got Chargers.

In my opinion the Caprice PPV is the best well rounded police car offering performance and a lot of room for officers. The Charger and Taurus offer great performance too, but are very cramped with all police equipment installed. Caprice PPV sales have been dismal selling between 150 - 400 units per month for the past year. But I wonder how many Carpices a month can GM physically sell in a month since only one boat a month is bringing Caprice to the US.

EDIT: I just read that GM has decided to keep the W-Body Impala in production until June 2014, it will be sold to fleets only and be called "Impala Limited"

Last edited by 30thZ286speed; 06-17-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:35 PM

If Caprice volumes increase they've handled shipping before when the GTO and G8 were in production. The SS will also help to add some volume.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The winner of the Crown Vic replacement is...