Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why I like the new Mustang....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by SNEAKY NEIL
Plus, why try to duplicate Ford when they should be going in thier own direction.
they did that,now the car is gone.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:25 PM
cmc

The third generation Camaro embodied the hard-core and rugged fender-flares and sharp angles and ground effects style that '80s performance cars were all about. Vector cars of the time (the M12, especially) are the extreme version of this. I think that the winning formula for the Camaro was to follow the times. The long bubble-wedge design was over by around '95, and it was back to crisper lines and slightly more uprightness.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:06 PM

I'm going to quote what i posted in the other topic.

"Just look at these 2 pictures. I found the closest mustang to the current concept and that is the late 60's Shelby's. Can you honestly tell me that it is an exact copy? Yes, there's obvious cues but there are certain things that set the new mustang apart from the old.

Late 60's Shelby (side shot)
http://www.thecarsource.com/shelby/...d/Full%20Vw.jpg

2005 Concept (side shot)
http://www.stangnet.com/mustanggtco...upConcept01.jpg

Late 60's Shelby (Left side front profile)
http://popularmechanics.com/automot...s/tb_9806AUCCAA

2005 Concept (same side fron profile)
http://www.stangnet.com/mustanggtco...upConcept06.jpg

Exact copy huh? I can post more pictures from various angles if you guys would like. The most basic shapes are there, but the 2005 is distinctly modern in every other way."
Old 02-08-2003, 03:12 PM

2005 (Back shot)

http://www.stangnet.com/mustanggtcon...pConcept02.jpg

67 Shelby (back shot)
http://popularmechanics.com/automoti.../tb_9806AUCCAD

2005 (front shot)
http://www.stangnet.com/mustanggtcon...pConcept15.jpg

67 Shelby (front shot)
http://www.thecarsource.com/shelby/1...t/Gt500_7b.jpg

Carbon copy? The most basic similarties doesn't make one a carbon copy. The similarties are obvious but so are the differences. One is obviously old, the other new.

Last edited by RiceEating5.0; 02-08-2003 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:30 PM

Same car.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:00 PM

Wink

Try it again with your glasses on.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by cobraeater
The 05 Mustang looks a whole lot newer and modern than the 3rd gen F-Bodies.

The 60's Mustang cues are what makes it good.
No it doesn't. Third Gens still have a modern look and were ahead of their time. The new M*****g looks EXACTLY like the 60's cars with no chrome bumpers and slightly rounded. I don't know how Third Gens got into the discussion.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by cmc
The third generation Camaro embodied the hard-core and rugged fender-flares and sharp angles and ground effects style that '80s performance cars were all about. Vector cars of the time (the M12, especially) are the extreme version of this. I think that the winning formula for the Camaro was to follow the times. The long bubble-wedge design was over by around '95, and it was back to crisper lines and slightly more uprightness.
I agree. The went overboard with the 4th Gen's making it look like something from space. Cars then and today don't even have that look and they never will because a completly round look (and body integration) is just weird. I don't know, doesn't look like a car. Gotta have lines and some sharp creases.

Last edited by IZ28; 02-08-2003 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:21 PM

Ok, I tried it with my glasses on. That was a bad suggestion because they are older and less powerful than my contacts, so now I cant see any of the differences between them.

Same car.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:37 PM

No it doesn't. Third Gens still have a modern look and were ahead of their time. The new M*****g looks EXACTLY like the 60's cars with no chrome bumpers and slightly rounded. I don't know how Third Gens got into the discussion.
I agree with the second sentence above but not the third. The new Mustang CONCEPT is a lot different from the production cars of the late sixties. I believe one reason the 3gen's have come up is they were another example of sharp angular styling being a success on a muscle car.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:31 PM

If the 2005 Mustang Concept is not retro... then neither is the Thunderbird, the PT Cruiser or anything else...

People... even the DESIGNER HIMSELF says it's a retro version of the 67... how can you argue with the designer of the car?!?
Old 02-09-2003, 01:24 AM

In my post, I don't even argue that it isn't retro. Regardless, I like the 05 concept. Just because it's retro doesn't mean I automatically have to dislike it. My point is that the car looks good.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed

People... even the DESIGNER HIMSELF says it's a retro version of the 67... how can you argue with the designer of the car?!?
Retro....Shmetro.

People from GM and those who like it, are always tripping over themselves, trying to tell everyone they see ,that the 4th gen Camaro is so modern. Maybe too modern. In fact so modern that it probably left alot of people behind.

Well, the 4th gen has no cues which can really be considered "retro"...yet, when I saw my first one in Dec. 1992, I thought it looked old....really old.

The Mustang concept has many retro, or as some call them, heritage cues....yet to me....it looks new and fresh. And in the end, that's what really matters, the overall impression that the finished product elicits.

And the Mustang concept has it in spades.....
Old 02-09-2003, 01:11 PM

Thats because the 4th gen was old. Honestly, its not that much different than the 3rd gen. Smooth out the fender flares and the front/rear on a 3rd gen and you basically have a 4th gen. The nose is nearly identical, the side view, aside from the flares, is identical, and the rear is rounded off. Thats it. That is the one thing that I think Ford did right, not just edit the SN95 for the new body style. Of course we know my opinion of the redesign.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Pentatonic
In my post, I don't even argue that it isn't retro. Regardless, I like the 05 concept. Just because it's retro doesn't mean I automatically have to dislike it. My point is that the car looks good.
I will never say anyone is wrong for likeing or disliking the style of any car... that is totally subjective...

But there is no denying that this Mustang is heavily flavored with Retro... it really has nothing to do with liking it or not...

Quick Reply: Why I like the new Mustang....