Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why bring back the Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 04:24 PM

Why bring back the Camaro?

I was thinking today, Why WOULD GM bring back the Camaro? It was probably a nightmare near the end for them because it wouldn't sell. I just don't see them bring back a nameplate just to make some car people happy. Does the heritage of a nameplate really mean that much to them? Especially when the economy is so poor and when selling is the most important thing.

What I can see is a couple new RWD V8 cars, hopefully one more 2 door besides the vette that has the everything to sell as a v6 model and v8.

I know they are in it to sell sell sell(just like all the other car companies), so that is what made me really start to think about this.

IF the Camaro comes back and is disappointing I will be more pissed then if it never does.

Does this make sense?

tom
Old 01-21-2003, 05:03 PM

image, plus the camaro sold what, 40K units a year? at the typical Z28 level, probably 1/2 to 3/4 of that, the price was around 24-28K which is a good amount for that kind of car. I'd say they'll bring it back whenever they find the cheapest chassis to build it off of. stockpile some extra parts and throw it together, make it nice enough for everyone to like it and the car will sell enough to make the work worthwhile.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:14 PM

Lightbulb

2K1SunsetSS, I think you made some interesting points.

I have come in contact with several people (editutside the 'carguy' community) who wanted to know about my car, only to be surprised to find out it's a Trans Am, most of them thought GM stopped making them YEARS ago...

There was a post recently that stated our cars had lost identity over the years, maybe that's one of the key problems. Even with the 'limited' commercial campaign back in '98 touting "The Musclecar Lives" didn't seem to grab many NEW buyers. I loved it, but GM's preaching to the choir with me...
Old 01-21-2003, 05:15 PM

Most other manufacturers would kill for a nameplate with as many fans and as much heritage as Camaro.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Prominent Member

Exclamation First things first....

...the F-body did NOT die because it wouldn't sell...it died on purpose.......and because of a lack of commitment from the old GM managment.....

The Camaro nameplate is very dear to GM and 95% of the buying public knows what it is......oh, it'll be back alright.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:30 PM

Re: First things first....

Originally posted by Doug Harden
...the F-body did NOT die because it wouldn't sell...it died on purpose.......and because of a lack of commitment from the old GM managment.....

The Camaro nameplate is very dear to GM and 95% of the buying public knows what it is......oh, it'll be back alright.
If it means so much why did they let it drift away and die in the first place?
Old 01-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Prominent Member

Lightbulb Re-read the 1st paragraph......

.......Ron Zarella's group tried to kill the car division at Chevy...trucks are where the $$ is, they thought.......they succeeded in killing just the f-body.

Things are 180 deg different today at GM.....
Old 01-21-2003, 05:51 PM
slt

Originally posted by Jason96T/A
There was a post recently that stated our cars had lost identity over the years, maybe that's one of the key problems. Even with the 'limited' commercial campaign back in '98 touting "The Musclecar Lives" didn't seem to grab many NEW buyers. I loved it, but GM's preaching to the choir with me...
I think thats exactly the problem. It became all sports car and lost its practicality. From what I've seen, the GTO fixes everything that was wrong with the Camaro (except exterior styling)
Old 01-21-2003, 06:26 PM

Re: Re: First things first....

Originally posted by 2K1SunsetSS
If it means so much why did they let it drift away and die in the first place?
As Doug said, Zarella & company tried to do away with Camaro, and cut off development money back in 1998 to achieve that goal. Initially, Camaro was to be killed back in '97, then had it's discontinue date moved at least twice.

Camaro did not die from poor sales per say, but it's demise was long comming.

Almost sounds like you prefer GM to make SUVs.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: First things first....

Originally posted by guionM
As Doug said, Zarella & company tried to do away with Camaro, and cut off development money back in 1998 to achieve that goal. Initially, Camaro was to be killed back in '97, then had it's discontinue date moved at least twice.

Camaro did not die from poor sales per say, but it's demise was long comming.

Almost sounds like you prefer GM to make SUVs.
No actually I hate to see more SUVs but I have come to realize that is what makes them money. I did say I would like to see a few more RWD v8 cars. In all honest I would like to see rwd v8 cars replace 99% of the SUVs they make but realistically I don't think that is going to happen.

I know Zarella is gone but what about the and company. It seems GM's yes or no something gets built team doesn't care for "cool" cars at this point.

Just something I thought about today so I figure I would get some opinions.

I appreciate it and I appreciate it more for not flaming the hell out of me.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:36 PM

Tom old buddy, how can you speak such blasphemy here? This doesn't even deserve a response!!!!
Old 01-21-2003, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
Tom old buddy, how can you speak such blasphemy here? This doesn't even deserve a response!!!!
Sorry buddy,

I think of some crazy stuff at work. .

I still think if the Camaro name meant so much why would they just let it go, it could have been saved, an annoucement after the last 4th gen saying it will be back in x years would at least hold us over. Then there is that contract speculation and this and that.

There is only one of us that knows the real reasons and what is REALLY going on at GM and maybe someday that person can share this info so we can see who's guesses were right and wrong.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by WERM
Most other manufacturers would kill for a nameplate with as many fans and as much heritage as Camaro.
100% true!
if Gm wasn't happy with 50k Fbody's sold anually
Why they bring back th GTO
the production # of the GTO are lower than the # of the Fbodys sold anually
how many they plan to make( GTO) ???
Old 01-21-2003, 10:49 PM

I really don't think the Camaro/Firebird names meant anything to GM--if it did they would have kept it around.

Heritage and GM don't go well together. They abuse
"SS" designations like they are going out of style. And other famous names, Impala, Monte Carlo--are a shadow of there former selves.

Platform sharing is the key to Camaro revival--
lots can be spent on a whole new platform---and one version could be 2 door RWD, Camaro and other
could be 4 door RWD Impala.

Like Nisan does--their FM chasis is shared with G35 coupe and 4 door and 350ZX.

Then they can keep their costs down and ours
Old 01-21-2003, 11:15 PM

The F-Body couldn't be saved because of the people that were in there while they were bring produced. Now B.L. is running things and not even he could do it in time. Things don't happen that fast. He is trying to get things going good again in GM but it will take a while. The Camaro means alot to many in GM and it'll be back when its "allowed" to be. Do you think we'd even see a GTO, S/Ced Impala SS, S/Ced MC SS, and the want to return V8 and RWD to most cars again if the previous people were running the company?? In a few years there won't be a need to take cars from other countries that are V8/RWD because they'll be made here again, including the GTO. What we have now is all he has to work with and is trying to make improvements on what he can, then in a few years the good stuff should start happening when things are made "right." Do I agree with everything he does and says, no, but he wants to do good for the people, unlike the others.

I'm sure GuionM will be glad to hear me say all this. I've been paying attention.

Quick Reply: Why bring back the Camaro?