Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What would make the SS line more competative?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 06:41 PM

What would make the SS line more competative?

Any ideas comments? Other than Camaro please. You have three vehicles to critique. Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS, and Silverado SS. What can be done to these vehicles to improve them?

Last edited by steves; 09-11-2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:46 PM

[tim allen voice]Mooorrrrre POWER, arr arrr arrrrrr[/tim allen voice]

....a V8 in each would be nice,aside the Silverado-rwd too.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:51 PM

A blower on the Silverado would be nice.

How about a blown rear drive short bed Silverado SS?
Old 09-11-2003, 06:53 PM

More Performance content or a lower price...

VALUE.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:07 PM

More HP for the same or less money

400HP Silverado SS

280HP and optional Manual trans in the Impala SS and MCSS
(more HP once/if they switch to RWD)

Colorado SS, same as the ZQ8 but with 18" rims and a 300-330HP 5.3L V8 for only $3,000 more.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Z28x
More HP for the same or less money

400HP Silverado SS

280HP and optional Manual trans in the Impala SS and MCSS
(more HP once/if they switch to RWD)

Colorado SS, same as the ZQ8 but with 18" rims and a 300-330HP 5.3L V8 for only $3,000 more.
I think a Colorado SS is a great idea. Isn't the SSR built on the same chassis.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:49 PM

Ideally?

1. Sell SSs through only the Chevrolet dealers with the best customer ratings in sales and service.

2. Create a prefered customer service program specifically for SS owners.

3. Create a specific engine for SS models. The supercharged Impala, Monte Carlo, and Colbalt SS is a good step in that direction. The Silverado SS isn't.

4. As Werm said: VALUE!! You can't justify a Impala SS with the old engine running $28K+ when you can go to Pontiac and get a new GTP with the newer SC engine for a grand or so less. The S/C Impy & Monte SSs at $25-26K would be a good value. The $40,000 Silverado SS most certainly isn't.

Last edited by guionM; 09-11-2003 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by guionM
Ideally?

1. Sell SSs through only the Chevrolet dealers with the best customer ratings in sales and service.

2. Create a prefered customer service program specifically for SS owners.

3. Create a specific engine for SS models. The supercharged Impala, Monte Carlo, and Colbalt SS is a good step in that direction. The Silverado SS isn't.

4. As Werm said: VALUE!! You can't justify a Impala SS with the old engine running $28K+ when you can go to Pontiac and get a new GTP with the newer SC engine for a grand or so less. The S/C Impy & Monte SSs at $25-26K would be a good value. The $40,000 Silverado SS most certainly isn't.
Those are great ideas, but not the most profitable. It seems to me that Chevrolet puts minimum content in their packages and charges maximum dollars. I don't mind paying extra for something just as long as I am getting the best. If the Impala/MCSS had the same equipment as the compG I would pay the extra money they are asking. I'd probably even consider getting one, but then I look at other cars like the GTO and I ask myself why would I buy the MCSS when the GTO is a $1000 more. You would think they are not direct competitors, but that is how I think of them, and so do alot of other people.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:02 AM

Best-in-class levels of attitude. Anyone ever look at a '94-'96 Impala SS and get an impression that it's anything but evil? In comparision, the Silverado SS looks like an oversized Hot Wheels toy.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:35 AM

Make them something really special, instead of just a loaded up Monte Carlo, Impala, Cobalt, or Silverado. They can still be loaded up, but give them something that tells the customer that some thought was put into the SS model. Right now SS gives the impression that they just raided the parts shelf and used what they had lying around to make a slightly sportier version of a loaded up model. Look at the CTSv. It gets Brembo brakes, a very exclusive engine thats shared with only one other legendary car, and a reworked race tuned suspension. I guess what I mean is that maybe GM should try to make it look like they put a little more effort into the SS's.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:37 AM

Success of the line should be a simple formula.

Lower the price and raise the horsepower.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:29 AM

Re: What would make the SS line more competative?

Originally posted by steves
Any ideas comments? Other than Camaro please. You have three vehicles to critique. Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS, and Silverado SS. What can be done to these vehicles to improve them?
Malibu Maxx SS around the corner too.

I doubt you see any changes to the Impala/MC SS until they are replaced. The biggest drawback on Silverado has been price and I don't seem the slashing that unless it is marginally for a 2WD configuration (imagine still ext. cab).

Hypothetically speaking: More unique visuals, more power if possible, more "sportiness"...all at a fair and competitive price.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:16 PM

Seperate the SS's from everything else within GM. Make the whole SS brand that distinct. The SS silverado shouldn't be some Sierra c3 clone, nor the monte a weaker GTP clone. Niether SS is really any more appealing than the other.

More power is good, but bigger brakes and a much sportier suspension is equally as important. Styling: Not just paint and larger wheels, give us a different or reworked front front/rear fascia. The car has to really look different than the regular non-SS version. The Imp and Monte SS's really haven't done that.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:49 PM

Well, I know I'm probably only speaking for me, but they need a manual transmission. The paddle shifters are "OK", but a true manual tranny is what I want. If a manual isn't offered, you're not getting me in the showroom, regardless of horsepower. Yes, I know the manual has basically gone the way of the dinosaur at Chevy, but that's why I'll be holding on to 1994 Z for a while to come and not buying new. The only thing I'll even remotely consider is the GTO, but I still find the projected $33K price to be somewhat of a pipe-dream.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:32 AM

Produce the Tahoe and Trailblazer SS as soon as friggen possible!

Quick Reply: What would make the SS line more competative?