Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What would happen if(bailout and union content)....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:21 PM

What would happen if(bailout and union content)....

...the gov said, "sure, we'll give you a bailout(Car manufacturers) if you dissolve all unions". The union workers can say no but they won't have a job. Discuss.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:26 PM

Wow, I don't know. Do you have your flamesuit on?
Old 12-13-2008, 03:31 PM

Well, they are not going to be able to re-man their entire production personel in any reasonable amount of time. They have already tried to get the union to make concessions to relieve the wage/benifit burden, however the UAW wouldn't budge. Don't know what the specifics of the plane were.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:31 PM

It's not up to the car company to dissolve the unions.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:19 AM

Really? No thoughts?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:21 AM

they would become profitable..
Old 12-15-2008, 09:30 AM

Does the UAW have a presence in the foreign car manufacturers in the south?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 AM

Can GM legally dissolve the union and hire non-union labor? I mean traditionally isn't the union's only recourse the threat of striking? So couldn't GM just say see-ya, have the government foot the 'interim' bill until they can get restaffed with normal workers working at wages more similar to non-union plants?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 AM

I don't know what kind of contracts they signed but to think GM would sign something with no outs is bad business. Of course, they are good at bad business so maybe they did.

I'm sure there are a LOT of people that would like to have a job. Kick out the leeches and Cheeches, and get some people who are grateful.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 AM

Unions are stand alone so no one can dissolve them per se, but I get your point. If the bailout was contengent on non-union labor then I think that 2 things could happen. Either the workers would say screw the union I need work and they would leave the union and work as a regular Joe, or the union would stand strong and it would take GM years to find qualified workers to get their plants up and running again. Human nature says that people would leave the union to put food on the table and if they don't where else would they be able to work with their particular skill set.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by lamb110
Does the UAW have a presence in the foreign car manufacturers in the south?
No.

That's part of the reason the "big 3" are having problems. but other companies aren't.

In case anyones curios, here's a photo of the UAW contract with Ford...all 22 pounds of it!!!

Last edited by BigRob; 12-15-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by BigRob
No.

That's part of the reason the "big 3" are having problems. but other companies aren't.
Damn. I wonder how much the people in the southern states are making compared to the people up north.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Then those elected officials in "government" would be unemployed along with those union workers.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by lamb110
Damn. I wonder how much the people in the southern states are making compared to the people up north.
Once you include the difference in benefits, retirement, health care, and the fact that they actually get paid when they're not even working (they have some sort of holding tank where they play cards and watch TV at partial wage) I think I remember the cost per applied hour of labor is something like 24 dollars per non-union hour vs 76 dollars per union hour.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Once you include the difference in benefits, retirement, health care, and the fact that they actually get paid when they're not even working (they have some sort of holding tank where they play cards and watch TV at partial wage) I think I remember the cost per applied hour of labor is something like 24 dollars per non-union hour vs 76 dollars per union hour.
Are you f'ing serious? If thats true, there is no reason that some yahoo putting together a car should make a combined $76 an hour.

Quick Reply: What would happen if(bailout and union content)....