CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   What if I told you, that in 4 years Pontiac would be back... (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/what-if-i-told-you-4-years-pontiac-would-back-837676/)

5thgen69camaro 11-14-2011 02:28 PM

Re: What if I told you, that in 4 years Pontiac would be back...

Originally Posted by Shockwave (Post 6822718)
A counterpoint, and this is just my personal opinion, is that in many markets you have to take some lumps during the earlier stages of R&D in order to position yourself for future success.

The writing is on the wall with conventional petroleum. It's a finite resource controlled by a largely unstable region of the world that suffers from dramatic price increases to the consumer. This is not a winning formula, so auto manufacturers are getting their ducks in a row to succeed as oil recedes in the energy race.

You might remember that the Prius started off as a platform that lost money, too. Look at it now.

I'm not sure how a "tax credit" works on these green vehicles, but I'd always assumed that you just got to deduct that 7500 from your reported income at tax-time. If so, taxpayers aren't shouldering an additional expense for each vehicle. Buyers are just being rewarded by paying less taxes from their personal income when they buy such a vehicle.

If the tax credit literally puts a 7500 check in the pipeline to any Volt buyer come April 15th, then my only response is that it is an incentive for something our government has deemed a healthy measure for the country -- reducing dependence on foreign oil and cleaning up the environment. I support both of those goals, especially the first one. I'd love for oil to become absolutely worthless just so extremist whack-jobs have absolutely no means to carry out violent attacks on our populace.

Definitely a well thought out response. Some things I do not agree with. I dont have a problem with oil as much as I used to but Id probably use whatever works best for me Oil. If its running out so quick as supply runs out gas sky rockets and alternatives will probably become more competitive on their own. I could probably go into more of my personal opinion on what I agree and disagree but its probably not fair to other people. I get your point and you get mine. I think anyway.

5thgen69camaro 11-14-2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1965GP (Post 6821671)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2448827/1979-pontiac-trans-am

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/244882...ntiac-trans-am

Pics of the Oakland and a few others

Dude that is one crazy collection of cars.

Id like to see this car with the LS

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...045_medium.jpg

My step mother had a black trans like this Hers was a 88 and I loved that car. Not sure what year yours is but I believe this style was 88 - 89

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...019_medium.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...039_medium.jpg

jg95z28 11-14-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi (Post 6823031)
GM should just kill GMC, and swap it out with Pontiac. At least Pontiac had unique product. All GMC stuff is rebadged Chevys.

Aren't you forgetting that at its end most of Pontiac's "unique product" was rebadged Holdens and Opels? :p

GMC has a purpose in that it provides large trucks and SUVs for combined Buick/GMC dealerships.

Chevrolet and Cadillac stand alone at opposite ends of the market.

There really is no business case for Pontiac to exist outside of North America, and thus is why GM killed Pontiac. There's even less of a case for GM to bring Pontiac back, and I for one don't see GM being desperate enough to sell-off the Pontiac brand and trademark to a third party who intends to bring Pontiac back as a niche performance brand.

I just don't see it happening in this market.

5thgen69camaro 11-14-2011 04:18 PM

I definitely think it would be possible relatively cheap with re badges and reskins. If they really wanted to that is. I do not think it would be worth it but thats me.

Just for the sake of throwing it out there.

Comodore / G8
Camaro / Firebird

The ONE good think I thought would have happened if GM made a deal with Nissan would be a Pontiac version of the Z350.

1965GP 11-14-2011 08:05 PM

Thanks for the comments on the cars. We have added a few since then and I haven't had time to add pics. The 67 Camaro is a prime LS candidate- real red and white RS, power windows and no rust.

The white trans am is an 89 pace car. Fun car with the grand national set up.

Fwiw- I think there is a case for Pontiac- just look at dodge. I am okay with rebadged Holdens because they don't sell Holdens here.

I think:
small rear wheel coupe /sedan
Full size coupe / sedan
2 seat roadster

Tokuzumi 11-14-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28 (Post 6823175)
Aren't you forgetting that at its end most of Pontiac's "unique product" was rebadged Holdens and Opels? :p

I know you were being sarcastic, but I do mean the US market.

5thgen69camaro 11-15-2011 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by 1965GP (Post 6823358)
Thanks for the comments on the cars. We have added a few since then and I haven't had time to add pics. The 67 Camaro is a prime LS candidate- real red and white RS, power windows and no rust.

The white trans am is an 89 pace car. Fun car with the grand national set up.

Fwiw- I think there is a case for Pontiac- just look at dodge. I am okay with rebadged Holdens because they don't sell Holdens here.

I think:
small rear wheel coupe /sedan
Full size coupe / sedan
2 seat roadster

No problem. I've never seen a collection that big in good order. Do you like that 89 TA more than the Saleen? I like them both.

When I think Dodge I think Chevy or Ford more than Pontiac personally.

1965GP 11-15-2011 06:10 AM

The 89 trans an is more fun- since it is a turbo car it drives different than anything else I have. The Saleen drives good but isn't near as fast considering they are both pretty much stock.

My analogy to Dodge is that you can walk in and drive out in a wild looking attention getting car that will get noticed wherever you go. That's what GM forgot- Pontiac in the 60's and 70's worked because it was over the top. Sure- everyone loves the carousel red 69 Judge- but they sold a hell of a lot of white, silver and green GTO's and LeMans'. Not everyone is willing to drive a bright orange car every day- yet it was that image that moved a lot of cars.

jg95z28 11-15-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi (Post 6823366)
I know you were being sarcastic, but I do mean the US market.

Sarcastic yes, but planting a huge hole in your argument that recent Pontiacs were "unique".

Besides, it would be far cheaper for GM to import the LHD versions of the Holdens they already sell as Chevrolets in the mid-east, than to change fascia and rebadge them as Pontiacs. Then there's the whole thing about recreating the Pontiac dealer network and then the potential lawsuits that they would have to deal with from former Pontiac dealers that were forced to close when Pontiac was killed off the first time.

There's still the option of GM selling the "brand" Pontiac to a third party; however I don't see them making enough money off of the sale to make it worthwhile. It sounds to me more like a pipe-dream by Pontiac enthusiasts.

At some point in time, when the economy is better, one might be able to make an argument to bring back performance "Pontiacs" like the Firebird and GTO; however they would most likely be sold as "Buicks" or "Cadillacs". :p