Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What if...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 12:40 PM

What if...

...there had never been an F-body, and we all saw it for the first time at this upcoming NAIAS along w/ the GTO. How do you think the demand for each would compare? Personally I think the F-body would blow the GTO out of the water and would sell like crazy at a 30K tag...It would be just like '67 all over again. I was thinking about that last night in my sociology class and it kind of bugged me. Just something to think about...
Old 11-21-2002, 01:42 PM

I doubt it. People are way more practical now (just look at SUV sales ). Also, you don't have alot of young baby boomers from returning WWII veterans, so I don't believe it's physically possible to sell as many "young" cars as it was during that time the population bulge hit their 20 & 30s.

I think an f-body brought out today would probally get slammed for having less than Cavalier space in a body bigger than a Grand Am, and would be viewed as not much more than a styling exercise.

It would get attention, but it's the GTO that would see bigger production.

Last edited by guionM; 11-21-2002 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by guionM
I doubt it. People are way more practical now (just look at SUV sales ). Also, you don't have alot of young baby boomers from returning WWII veterans, so I don't believe it's physically possible to sell as many "young" cars as it was during that time the population bulge hit their 20 & 30s.

I think an f-body brought out today would probally get slammed for having less than Cavalier space in a body bigger than a Grand Am, and would be viewed as not much more than a styling exercise.

It would get attention, but it's the GTO that would see bigger production.
Bastage, how do you do that
Old 11-21-2002, 02:51 PM

Meccadeth, do you really have an Insight??? or is that a joke, I hope it is for business or something
Old 11-21-2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Z28x
Meccadeth, do you really have an Insight??? or is that a joke, I hope it is for business or something
Nah its true
Its my winter car...
If things go as planned, I'm going to trade it in for a GTO when they come out.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Meccadeth
Nah its true
Its my winter car...
You had me worried for a while there.
That sounds like a good plan, depending on HP and Price I think I'm going to get a GTO too. if not I will probably go with a 2001+ Z28, SS, or WS6
Old 11-21-2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Z28x
You had me worried for a while there.
That sounds like a good plan, depending on HP and Price I think I'm going to get a GTO too. if not I will probably go with a 2001+ Z28, SS, or WS6
Wow...thats the same plan I have. I want to see the GTO at Detroit first before I put anything in stone.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:16 PM

Nah its true
Its my winter car...
Hmm, let's see.. $35,000 GTO.. 2002 Insight Hybrid trade-in.. cool, so now you only have $34750 to finance

GT
Old 11-21-2002, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by kizz
Hmm, let's see.. $35,000 GTO.. 2002 Insight Hybrid trade-in.. cool, so now you only have $34750 to finance

GT
A little closer to $13,000...
Old 11-21-2002, 04:21 PM

Re: What if...

Personally I think the F-body would blow the GTO out of the water and would sell like crazy at a 30K tag...It would be just like '67 all over again.
They certainly wouldn't be big movers at $30k. That's hardly the big price point if you're trying to reach the youth, where the cars really took off originally.

If I were spending $30k and this "new" F-body would be of the same quality and design as the '02, I'd just as soon have the GTO for the same price or a bit more.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:30 PM

Re: Re: What if...

Originally posted by jrp4uc
They certainly wouldn't be big movers at $30k. That's hardly the big price point if you're trying to reach the youth, where the cars really took off originally.

If I were spending $30k and this "new" F-body would be of the same quality and design as the '02, I'd just as soon have the GTO for the same price or a bit more.
$30K isnt THAT far out of reach of youth today. I have a $5.50/hour job and can afford to finance that w/ the insurance, while paying for college part-time. And I come from a working class family, so theres a majority of people my age in better situations financially. It comes down to whether they feel like spending all that money on a car...
As for if the F-bod and GTO were the same price and both brand new and in the same showroom floor, I would probably choose the Camaro or Firebird, depending on the quality of the GTO's interior in comparison.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: What if...

$30K isnt THAT far out of reach of youth today. I have a $5.50/hour job and can afford to finance that w/ the insurance, while paying for college part-time. And I come from a working class family, so theres a majority of people my age in better situations financially. It comes down to whether they feel like spending all that money on a car...
You've got to be kidding me if you think you can buy a $30,000 while making $5.50 an hour. That is $11,440 a year! Do the math: that comes out to $953.33 a month income, and car payments (60 months, 0% interest) of $500 a month. You show me someone who can afford to live on $400 and some change while paying for food, gas, insurance, rent, all the other associated bills, whatever day-to-day expenses, AND college tuition/books and I'll show you a dreamer living at home and not thinking rationally.

No offense intended. A good rule of thumb is to have your car payments equal to about a quarter of your monthly income, or what you'd make in a week.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:36 PM

you'd have to work 40 hour weeks for 2 years and 7 months at $5.50/hr to accumulate $30,000, and that's not even counting interest or other living expenses.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:37 PM

When you hit 7 bucks an hour.......go for the Z06!
Old 11-21-2002, 11:22 PM

$30K isnt THAT far out of reach of youth today. I have a $5.50/hour job and can afford to finance that w/ the insurance, while paying for college part-time.
hahahah I'm hoping you aren't majoring in math or we're all in trouble. Please 30 grand is way too expensive. I'm 21 and about to move out of my parent's place, I will be making a lot more than 5.50 an hour out of school, probably around 12 an hour to start, and I will barely be able to afford a $500 a month apartment, insurance payments on my car, food and such let alone a 30 grand car. To really get to the youth price range you need to look at cars like the neon SRT10.

Quick Reply: What if...