Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What do I buy now?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 11:34 AM

What do I buy now?!?!

I have always been a huge fan of GM, more specifically Pontiac. I'm on my third F-Body and have loved each one more and more.

I buy cars and keep them for a year or so and get rid of them, moving onto someone newer (or something much older)... I love my 25th, but the LT1 is getting boring and I'm ready to get a new T/A... but wait... there is no new T/A... so I started to weigh my other options...

Mustang? No. I don't care if GM quit making the F-Body, no stangs, I'm not that desperate for a RWD v8.

Import? Sorry, I'm not part of the group that thinks weed whackers sound meaner than Mack trucks... though I've given some thought to a BMW 3-series... I just can't see myself driving one.

Maybe an '04 Grand Prix GTP? They're up to 260HP, not too bad... and the 3800 is such a reliable engine. New bodystyle, faster, and I love the interior... but there is something huge lacking, the rumble of the exhaust, the roar of the engine, and of course the intimidating look (amoung other things)... the GTP is very nice... but maybe I'm not ready to go that route yet...

Hmm, maybe I could go cheaper and do some mods? How about a Grand Am GT with the SC/T hood and wing? Okay, no rumbling out of the exhaust... but that SC/T hood makes it look pretty mean... maybe throw some high-performance parts on and make the best of things? I definately like the idea... but still... it's not the same.

Vette? Forget it... first of all although I can afford one I just don't want to shell out that kind of money... second I never really liked the design anyways, design is just as important as power to me. If I knew nothing about the cars and saw a WS6 sitting next to a Vette I'd think the WS6 would eat it alive... it just looks so brutal.

What does that leave me with? Monte SS? Though the design has finally grown on me it's just not the same, GTO? Not willing to spend the mark-up it's sure to have.

Man, why can't we have the Ute SS over here? That'd be high on my list if it was available...

Maybe I should just give up and keep the 25th... finish paying it off and hope that one day GM comes to it's senses.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:37 AM

you might want to give Monte Carlo SS another look for 04...

It's getting a sheet metal freshening, and the same supercharged 260 hp V6 that the 04 GP is getting...
Old 01-17-2003, 11:45 AM

Question

Have you owned a LS1 F-Body?

There's quite a bit more power than the LT1.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by cobraeater
Have you owned a LS1 F-Body?

There's quite a bit more power than the LT1.
True... plus, he still may be able to find an LS1 on a dealers lot somewhere... there are still some out there.

Try www.gmbuypower.com
Old 01-17-2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
you might want to give Monte Carlo SS another look for 04...

It's getting a sheet metal freshening, and the same supercharged 260 hp V6 that the 04 GP is getting...

I'm actually looking forward to the '04 Monte Carlo SS. With a new nose, new motor and rumored 17" wheels, it may have the potential to spark up Chevy's mundane car line.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
I'm actually looking forward to the '04 Monte Carlo SS. With a new nose, new motor and rumored 17" wheels, it may have the potential to spark up Chevy's mundane car line.
I agree.

I like my Monte SS very much, and it would be great to have 17" wheels, and 60 more ponies... makes a nice car even better.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:56 AM

Haven't owned an LS1, sold them for awhile... have given it very serious thought and I may end up going that route...

I'd just like to be driving around in a new bodystyle T/A...

If I go LS1 (which I probably will) it'll almost have to be a WS6...

My plan is to buy something after the summer is over, so I was hoping to get an '04 something or other and not going used. I'll probably end up giving in and buying an LS1 though.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:33 PM

revisting some options you didn't want.

A used mid 90's M3, before they changed over to that new body style. They are getting cheaper.. dunno how much maintence would cost.. I'd definantly get that over a Pontiac.

early year C5 vettes, 97 98 are getting cheaper too... nearing the price of a 2002 f-bod.. WS6 might be meaner, but they'll both run neck to neck in the straights, with the vette edging it out everywhere else...

How about modding your LT1, and refreshing everything up? new shocks, springs, and swaybar.. T2R diff and 3.73's in the back... A healthy, but not over the top 383 LT1... new clutch and slightly lightened flywheel.. 17x11 rims with 315's all around, porsche front brakes (or for a cheaper route, LS1 brakes), accusump, power steering cooler, good seats.. and you'll be more than ready to go to open track events..
Old 01-17-2003, 12:33 PM

Thumbs down

Oh yeah, about that 2004 Monte Carlo restyle.....

At the LA show, they had a NASCAR version of the 2004 M/C. I was way less than impressed.

It seems that it has an extended shovel-like nose, the grille area brought forward, while the lights are angled back shark-like. The headlights are the same shape (including the circle in a wedge look), but seem like they're going to be a bit bigger. The side rear windows seem like they are going to be bigger as well.

Out back, the changes are more subtle. The circle lights behind the bubble seem to be the same (but a little bigger), the Lincoln Mark trunk curve seems to be gone, while the bumper seems to be more sculptured (or melted) than the current Monte Carlo.

I know it's hard to tell from the NASCAR body, but I don't think it's going to exactly be a great looking car.

I forgot completely about that car. Not a good sign.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by guionM
Oh yeah, about that 2004 Monte Carlo restyle.....

At the LA show, they had a NASCAR version of the 2004 M/C. I was way less than impressed.

It seems that it has an extended shovel-like nose, the grille area brought forward, while the lights are angled back shark-like. The headlights are the same shape (including the circle in a wedge look), but seem like they're going to be a bit bigger. The side rear windows seem like they are going to be bigger as well.

Out back, the changes are more subtle. The circle lights behind the bubble seem to be the same (but a little bigger), the Lincoln Mark trunk curve seems to be gone, while the bumper seems to be more sculptured (or melted) than the current Monte Carlo.

I know it's hard to tell from the NASCAR body, but I don't think it's going to exactly be a great looking car.

I forgot completely about that car. Not a good sign.
Well, I'm at least glad the are ditching the trunk hump thing... Even *I* think the Monte's look wierd fro mthe back without a wing...

Funny thing is a guy at the local mall has a Navt Monte SS, and actually took the option for Spoiler delete and took the $100 credit!

Looks really odd.

I saw the spoiler delete option and was floored!
Old 01-17-2003, 01:31 PM

Mike, if you miss the rumble, I would think a moderate replacement would be the Olds Aurora. They have a nice subtle rumble. As for other alternatives maybe the Cadillac CTS or STS?

Jeff
Old 01-17-2003, 02:44 PM

I have looked at the CTS/STS's and though I love the cars I just don't get much of a thrill driving them.

As for the mid-90s M3, nice cars, but not interested. I'd want the newer body style... ESPECIALLY considering they're redesigning it yet again for 2004...

I completely understand what you're saying about the earlier C5s, but I'd rather save a few thousand and buy a WS6.

I've considered doing some more things to my LT1, and I may end up just going that way as well... it'd be fun driving an 11-12 second 25th T/A around...

I just wish there was one car that really stood out and grabbed my attention... nothing seems to be able to do that anymore.

Maybe I'll just sell my 25th and go find a 20th T/A, I've always loved those...
Old 01-17-2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Mikes25thAnnTA
I have looked at the CTS/STS's and though I love the cars I just don't get much of a thrill driving them.

As for the mid-90s M3, nice cars, but not interested. I'd want the newer body style... ESPECIALLY considering they're redesigning it yet again for 2004...

I completely understand what you're saying about the earlier C5s, but I'd rather save a few thousand and buy a WS6.

I've considered doing some more things to my LT1, and I may end up just going that way as well... it'd be fun driving an 11-12 second 25th T/A around...

I just wish there was one car that really stood out and grabbed my attention... nothing seems to be able to do that anymore.

Maybe I'll just sell my 25th and go find a 20th T/A, I've always loved those...
The CTS-V should be out in your time frame... THAT would be an awesome car, if it is in your budget range!
Old 01-17-2003, 08:51 PM

I would not blame you if you got a LS1 WS6, thats what im planning to get for my next car. My bro has a 2000 SS, and just to tell you incase u havent driven one, its a beast. I love driving that car around, especially with the M6 Too bad it is with him at college in Texas right now O well. If you ask me, i would go for around a used LS1 WS6 if you cant decide.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:12 PM

wait for the GTO--- then take a test drive,maybe you can get one without geting screwed

Quick Reply: What do I buy now?!?!