Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Went to the Syracuse car show. My impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Went to the Syracuse car show. My impressions.

First off, I'm really impressed with some of Ford's stuff. Of all the new cars at the show, I think I liked the Lincoln MKT and MKS, and the Ford Taurus the most. Really slick. Can't wait to see the 2011 MKX.
While I really like the 2010 exterior upgrade to the Mustang, I don't like the interior. This was my first chance to sit in one. The seat didn't go back far enough for me, the cabin felt a little tight, and I wasn't feeling the design. Felt too uninspired. It lacked reach. I still like the exterior of it and the 5-spd shifter felt nice with the car parked (don't know what it would feel like dynamically).

And while I like the direction GM is going these days, I think they could step up the level of materials in all their cars. Most are of great design and look great. But the materials feel a little lacking. Especially the seat fabrics. Those were just awful. I swear they put in crappy fabric to "entice" people to step up to the optional leather.The materials on the dash parts and door panels just seemed like they could be slightly better. Or just maybe more padding under the skin.

The Corvette needs a dash upgrade. It feels a little long in the tooth.

I would never buy a Camaro with the black interior. With the high belt line and all black interior, it just felt like a cave inside. I've sat in a gray interior-ed Camaro and found that much more pleasing.

The LaCrosse is really cool. Just wish the dash & door panel materials were a little softer. Same for the Equinox and Terrain (which looks better in person).

I'm also tired of the silver painted plastic that is supposed to resemble brushed stainless steel. Newsflash: it doesn't!! Either use the real stuff (like BMW Z4) or ditch it all together. It looks cheap. And that goes for all carmakers. I noticed this on every car and at every price point.

I feel bad for Chrysler. Their interiors are just.....not good. Even the updated ones. I hope they can pull their act together soon.

I really only looked at the foreign cars in passing. Mainly cuz I don't give a rat's *** about them. Just wanted to see if they're cheapening up on materials as well. Guess what? They are.
They're interiors are NO better than the Big 3's. In some cases, they are worse.