Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Well, now that Pontiacman has become DCXMan...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:44 PM

Well, now that Pontiacman has become DCXMan...

Well, the title says it all...I accepted the Sales Manager spot at a local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep store, so I'll be giving my 2 week notice at the bank and the Pontiac dealer ASAP. It will be sad to no longer sell cars for the company I love, but it isn't like I'm selling Hondas I told the owner today if this was a Honda/Toyota/insert foreign car here store, I wouldn't have even wasted my time interviewing

Anyway, I have to say it'll be interesting scrutinizing the crap out of a new company for a change. I figured this was the most appropriate place to ask, what do we know about the LX replacements at this point? What do we know about the Sebring and Stratus replacements? They looked downright dull in the spy photos, considering how awesome the LX cars are. Just kind of curious what I'll have to look forward to, coming down the pike. It should be of concern to everyone here, because DCX is the most profitable US make right now, but it also has the most to lose!

BTW, the Caliber is a great little car. I drove one down the street and back...it makes a Vibe look like the complete POS I always knew it was...

BTW, flame away if you will and call me a trader, but we all know what sits in my garage right now, and what will join it in 2 years...NO not a Charger!!! I will miss my GP a lot...I'll be selling it once I get settled in, as I'll be taking something like an '04-'05 Stratus RT or Sebring LXi coupe for a demo...maybe an SRT-4 if I can find one
Old 03-16-2006, 12:03 AM

Re: Well, now that Pontiacman has become DCXMan...

You have to do what you have to do to pay the bills and feed your family, so I won't bash ya, too bad.

Loyalists are loyalists, though. I'll never push anything other than GM, being on the sales side for the countries most recognized Pontiac dealership (Jim Causley) and growing up in a second generation UAW family has helped plant that seed deep within that nothing except GM will do.

It's not being blind, because believe me. My '99 Grand Am has many a short falls and my Solstice has a few. Doesnt mean I plan to push anything other than what I truly support.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:10 AM

That's pretty exciting. So now you're the guy who sits at the desk behind the showroom and pretends not to notice the customer . There's no doubt that it's an exciting time to be a Dodge salesman, so good luck.

Do you really need to get rid of the GP though? If I can afford it, I think I'll hold on to my GTP until the wheels fall off - too much seat time and scraped knuckles at this point to let someone else drive it.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:12 AM

The biggest thing for me Josh is that there aren't any other dealerships I can think of that would give me this opportunity. I'm only 25. I have NO management experience at all. I have gone to auctions, appraised trade ins, ordered new units, sold plenty of cars, but I've never had that experience of managing for my resume. I had an in with the owner of this dealership, and she knew that between having an MBA, a fetish for cars, and being able to complete a sentence, I'd make a great manager. It pays somewhat more than my 2 jobs combined, gives me a free car, and its still domestic. I'd prefer it to be a GM store, but I can admit freely that I can proudly stand behind what I sell with Chrysler, and that's very important to me. The product they currently have is pretty good, and only getting better.

My driveway will remain GM, though
Old 03-16-2006, 12:15 AM

Sweet! I hope I can look forward to some SRT-8 drag tests.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by dav305z
That's pretty exciting. So now you're the guy who sits at the desk behind the showroom and pretends not to notice the customer . There's no doubt that it's an exciting time to be a Dodge salesman, so good luck.

Do you really need to get rid of the GP though? If I can afford it, I think I'll hold on to my GTP until the wheels fall off - too much seat time and scraped knuckles at this point to let someone else drive it.
No, I'll be the guy beating the crap out of the salesperson if he pulls something sleazy or doesn't have proper product knowledge. Indeed, it is a good time to go Dodge...thanks.

The GP, between insurance and car payment, runs me almost $6,000 a year. For a car I won't even use? It seems awful steep. If it was paid for, I'd keep it...but I still owe 2 full years on it Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep it...I bought gorgeous 17" chrome American Racing wheels for it that were only used 1 year. I spent forever last fall installing a remote start and alarm system from hell in it after it was broken into. The car is completely perfect, and I love it to death and hate to part with it...but I can't see spending the $$ to keep it when that could go towards a bigger house, or an IROC You can see where this is going, can't ya??? By the time I sell it later this Spring, I'll have about $3,500 in equity in it. That and an $8,000, 3 year home equity loan buys me one sweet 350 IROC

Last edited by Jason E; 03-16-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:24 AM

Hey Jason, I must have missed it, are you still going to be in MA? You might be getting a call from me if I have a hard time finding a Challenger in '09.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:30 AM

Sounds like an exciting move, Jason. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2006, 01:58 AM

Good luck Jason
Old 03-16-2006, 06:07 AM

mastrdriver,

Yes, I'll be in MA still. Come see me...I'll take you for a ride in my demo...the more I think about it, I'm just going to have to get an SRT-4 as a demo. Awesome gas mileage, you know???

Charlie,
Do you have any info on the LY's or the upcoming Stratus/Sebring? I've been told they're keeping the Sebring name, but probably not the Stratus. Any info is appreciated...or, if you can give me any hints as to the best places on the net to find that stuff...DCX lurking is something I've never done

Last edited by Jason E; 03-16-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:23 AM

Congratulations, Jason.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Disciple

Congrats Jason.

... "and a free car" is more I could have resisted too.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E
BTW, the Caliber is a great little car. I drove one down the street and back...it makes a Vibe look like the complete POS I always knew it was...
Maybe you'd care to fill in the blanks on how the Vibe is "a complete POS." Something more substantial than, "I used to sell those, but now I sell these, so those are POS." And surely it's more than its association with Toyota.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:24 AM

Best of luck, Jason.

A good site for Mopar info would be AllPar.com.

Just don't become a GM basher now that you're selling DCX's, we have more than enough ammo to come back....
Old 03-16-2006, 08:47 AM

Congrats on the new job, Jason.

Gotta disagree about the Vibe being a POS, though. In any case, I'd hope the Caliber is better, considering that the Vibe will be 6 years old when the '07s come out in full.

Quick Reply: Well, now that Pontiacman has become DCXMan...