Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Weight - This time it's Honda

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 AM

Weight - This time it's Honda

Info is starting to leak out about the new Accord.

Guess what?

The new one's larger and more powerful. Also heavier. Honda fans are complaining!

http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?m...page_number=4&

The EX-L V6 apparently comes in near 3600 pounds on the specsheet.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:41 AM

It's all very amusing reading fans complaining about hp or lack thereof... they just need to turn their attention to GM V8s... then they won't be complaining.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:17 AM

Still lighter than, say, an Aura DOHC, which is a smaller car than the Accord.

And I doubt the new Malibu with a 4 cyl will get under the Accord 4 cylinder's 3200-3300 weight.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by R377
Still lighter than, say, an Aura DOHC, which is a smaller car than the Accord.

And I doubt the new Malibu with a 4 cyl will get under the Accord 4 cylinder's 3200-3300 weight.
How do you know? The Accord is not out yet. Besides the Aura weighs in at approximately 3600lbs. I will grant you the Accord may be bigger but, the Aura has a 4 inch wheel base advantage as the outgoing Accord. So, how much bigger will the new Accord be is all speculation.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by soul strife
How do you know? The Accord is not out yet. Besides the Aura weighs in at approximately 3600lbs. I will grant you the Accord may be bigger but, the Aura has a 4 inch wheel base advantage as the outgoing Accord. So, how much bigger will the new Accord be is all speculation.
Right now the Aura and Accord are within millimetres of each other in everything but wheelbase (which has nothing to do with the size of the car, just how it's laid out). Given that very few mainstream cars get smaller with each new generation, and that it's unlikely all of the Accord's weight gain is due to safety/content, I'd say it's a safe bet to say the new Accord is going to grow.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by R377
Right now the Aura and Accord are within millimetres of each other in everything but wheelbase (which has nothing to do with the size of the car, just how it's laid out). Given that very few mainstream cars get smaller with each new generation, and that it's unlikely all of the Accord's weight gain is due to safety/content, I'd say it's a safe bet to say the new Accord is going to grow.
Agreed. I do not believe that growth will be huge though. 4 inches...maybe.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 AM

FWIW the new WRX is a bit bigger, uses higher quality interior materials and has a stronger structure.

It is 50 lbs lighter than the last model.

The new Mini Cooper S is larger, more powerful (now turbo), uses higher quality interior materials and has a stronger structure.

It is 20 lbs heavier than the last model.

I just wanted to throw that out there before the "You see! You see! Nobody can keep a lid on weight at a reasonable price!" crowd shows up.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:43 AM

Wow, the 4-cylinder Accord approaches the weight of our Fbody. How long before they realize that those wimpy 4-bangers are not enough to haul around a car of those dimensions? In the 90's, those 4-cylinder Accords were quick cars and were popular for street racing. Now? Unless you strap a turbo or nitrous, the grocery getter will not outrun your schoolbus, vtec or not.

Last edited by muckz; 08-17-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:13 AM

the traditional lack of torque in Asian engines is really going to haunt them now....
Old 08-17-2007, 01:09 PM

We had a 96 4 Cyl Accord. There was nothing related to "quick" about that car. It was a complete and utter dog. The only people that thought they were 'fast' or 'quick' were those that just graduated from their Huffy bike.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:20 PM

I'll join the complaining. We have all these "midsized" cars now that are basically the size of a "large" 1990s Buick.

I used to be kinda an Accord nutswinger, but if I were in the market now, I'd be looking at the Civic instead.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
the traditional lack of torque in Asian engines is really going to haunt them now....
I'm not sure that, aside from assumptions, there is a "traditional lack of torque in Asian engines but even if the assertion is true, doesn't your statement imply that Asian manufacturers won't change anything about their engines to be competitive?

Just out of curiosity, I did a quick look at Honda's website and then Chevrolet's...the current Accord V6 is listed as 244HP/211TQ and the current Malibu V6 is 217HP/217TQ (I believe both engines are 3.5L).

I don't see a huge difference there.

I don't see any reason to believe that "Asian" engines can't be made to produce as much HP/TQ as is needed for the application...in fact I would say most foreign manufactures have a slight advantage when it comes to working with V6 engines and wringing the most from them.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
I'm not sure that, aside from assumptions, there is a "traditional lack of torque in Asian engines but even if the assertion is true, doesn't your statement imply that Asian manufacturers won't change anything about their engines to be competitive?

Just out of curiosity, I did a quick look at Honda's website and then Chevrolet's...the current Accord V6 is listed as 244HP/211TQ and the current Malibu V6 is 217HP/217TQ (I believe both engines are 3.5L).

I don't see a huge difference there.

I don't see any reason to believe that "Asian" engines can't be made to produce as much HP/TQ as is needed for the application...in fact I would say most foreign manufactures have a slight advantage when it comes to working with V6 engines and wringing the most from them.
These are peak numbers. Might want to take a look at the area under the curve. It really doesn't matter how much HP/TQ you produce at peak, unless you have a transmission with so many gears that will let you constantly run at that RPM.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
The Honda v6 is actually a 24v Sohc 3.0L...not a 3.5.

I'd like to see the 300hp/275lb-ft 3.7L v6 from the MDX in the accord.

Last edited by Gold_Rush; 08-17-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:18 PM

3600 lbs isn't crazy heavy to me, but not light either. 3900+ is getting too heavy.

Dan

Quick Reply: Weight - This time it's Honda