Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Volkswagen Presents "Temporary Auto Pilot"

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:17 PM

Exclamation Volkswagen Presents "Temporary Auto Pilot"

It is just a start, I know. I personally don't like the idea of relinquishing control to a computer. On a side note, I am digging the new beetle.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21996

Temporary Auto Pilot (TAP) allows the vehicle to drive semi-automatically up to 130 kilometers per hour while being monitored by the driver

Cars are coming closer and closer to becoming fully automated, and while we're not quite there yet, an important contribution to the technology has been made by Volkswagen.

Dr. Jürgen Leohold, Executive Director Volkswagen Group Research, introduced the "Temporary Auto Pilot" (TAP) by Volkswagen at the EU research project HAVEit (Highly Automated Vehicles for Intelligent Transport).

TAP allows the vehicle to drive semi-automatically up to 130 kilometers per hour while being monitored by the driver. It is based on a production-like sensor platform, and features a production-level radar, camera and ultrasonic-based sensors that utilize a laser scanner and an electronic horizon. It combines semi-automatic functions like ACC adaptive cruise control and a Lane Assist lane-keeping system. The purpose of the system is to prevent auto accidents that are caused by distracted, fatigued or inattentive drivers.

TAP works by driving at a speed selected by the driver, then remains at a safe distance behind other vehicles and even reduces speed before a sharp bend or turn. TAP also keeps the vehicle between lane markers and recognizes changing speed limits as well as start/stop maneuvers in traffic jams.

"Above all, what we have achieved today is an important milestone on the path towards accident-free car driving," said Leohold. "Nonetheless, the driver always retains driving responsibility and is always in control. The driver can override or deactivate the system at any time and must continually monitor it.

"One conceivable scenario for its initial use might be in monotonous driving situations, e.g. in traffic jams or over sections of a driving route that are exceedingly speed-limited."

[imghttp://images.dailytech.com/nimage/20616_large_new-vw-beetle-K22VAON-x-large.jpg[/img]
Old 06-24-2011, 03:58 PM

Re: Volkswagen Presents "Temporary Auto Pilot"

Oh Wow! I seriously can't wait for this technology to take off!

As a salesman that puts on over 1,000 miles a week on my car, a fully automated driver would be awesome! The day I can get out on the hi-way, select where I want to go and just ride will be the day I increase my productivity by 100%! so long, 3 hours of driving, hello computer work!

Granted, this option the article is talking about isn't going to do this for me but it's a step... a HUGE step in getting there!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:11 PM

From an little piece on Autoblog in 2005...

Welcome to the future! Well, it's almost here…in a couple of years, GM will be launching a self-driving system on the 2008 Opel Vectra. Known as the Traffic Assist, the system is said to be able to drive the car on its own in heavy traffic at up to 60 mph. Using lasers, video camera and controlled by an advanced computer, the system can recognize signs and detect obstacles, controls the car via a complete drive-by-wire set up that covers throttle, steering and braking. While we've seen various manufacturers putting bits and pieces of these technologies on their cars, this would be the first example that combines them all and enabling your car to truly "think" for itself. A bit scary, if you think about it…I sure hope the computer doesn't run on Windows OS and requiring frequent reboots, especially at 60 mph. I think I'd prefer to do what Will Smith did in iRobot – deactivate the computer and take the wheel. But that's just me.
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/08/26/g...riving-system/

Unfortunately it never happened.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 PM

The driver can override or deactivate the system at any time and must continually monitor it.

so, allows you to be helped when distracted but must be monitored at all times, adding yet another thing to be distracted by.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:23 PM

This really isn't a huge leap. There are already tons of cars that use laser-assisted automatic cruise control, can warn you if you are drifting out of your lane, tell you exactly where you are and give you directions to where you're going, parallel park themselves, etc. This is just the culmination of quite a few existing technologies into one single 'auto' button.

All I can say is I hope it's VERY reliable because we all know people are going to set this thing and kick back... maybe even fall asleep in some cases.

In other related news, Nevada's DOT has approved Google's self-driving car as a viable legal means of transportation.
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ster-rides.htm

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
The driver can override or deactivate the system at any time and must continually monitor it.

so, allows you to be helped when distracted but must be monitored at all times, adding yet another thing to be distracted by.
It's a legal disclaimer. They know full well that drivers are going to set this system to auto and then start texting their friend while putting on their makeup or whatever.

More specifically it means if your car runs a little old lady over, it's not going to be the little old lady suing VW... she's going to be suing you.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:58 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Threxx

More specifically it means if your car runs a little old lady over, it's not going to be the little old lady suing VW... she's going to be suing you.
This is America. She's suing everyone.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Was talking with a co-worker about this sort of thing last week. I told him all we had to do was tie the various technologies together (epas, gps, lane departure, laser/radar cruise, optical recognition, et al) and auto manufcaturers could produce a car that drives itself.

The conversation started though on how to eleminate speeding and erratic driving and what effect it would have on taxes once you deprive a government of a big cash cow, but I digress.

It will be neat to see how this technology goes forward and how it might be used as a safety system in much the same way traction control and stability systems kick in. On the other hand as others have mentioned technology such as this only allows the exageration of bad habits.

Originally Posted by Koz
Correction; She is suing you, the laywer looking for that big payday has convinced her to sue everybody else. The driver for not paying attention, the vehicle manufacturer for not designing a full proof system, the tire manufacturer for not designing all season tires that never wear out with R - compound dry traction even in snow. The driving surface constructor for not providing an optimal driving surface, ad infinitum.

John Milton had it right in Devil's Advocate

Last edited by bossco; 06-27-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM

I'm a salesman as well and this would be VERY cool. I don't know if I see it being fully capable in my lifetime though.

I would imagine to have 100% control the road itself would have to have some sort of electronic communication with your car.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM

If there's technology now available that lets the car park itself (Ford's had it for a couple of years), there is also the tecfhnology that lets the car drive itself, being that parking is far more complicated.

The idea of the driver having to monitoring the system is likely to avoid any potential litigation issues. A glitch or driver error in using parking assist isn't likely to be the issue a glitch or driver error traveling at 70mph might be.

Keeps the driver responsible in case something goes wrong.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Koz
the sad true.... her lawyers will find a way to sue the tire company that came standard with the car because someway, somehow that tire company could have done something to avoid the accident...
Old 06-27-2011, 01:11 PM

I sort of agree with the above. It isn't a leap to get the car to stay in a lane with painted lane stripes and have it not run into anything. What is more difficult might be driving on dirt roads in the country. Potentially they could write the software so the vehicle stays near the right edge, but who knows what strategy they are using.

The "Holy Grail" so to speak, which is much more difficult and is still a ways off, is setting a destination on the Nav and having the vehicle pilot itself autonomously all the way to the destination, navigating various road hazards and turns and negotiating traffic efficiently.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
What is more difficult might be driving on dirt roads in the country.
Didn't the DARPA Grand Challenge prove this is possible.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Didn't the DARPA Grand Challenge prove this is possible.
No, I mean for a temporary system that uses the lane markings to stay on the right course. As in a potential problem with the VW system... but I admit in the post above that without knowing their true lane maintenance strategy it is hard to say for certain.

And I agree it shouldn't be too hard to stay within the width of the road, the problems will come when you have to go past opposing traffic on narrow unimproved roads.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
...being that parking is far more complicated.
No it's not. It's a controlled situation, driving on the road has outside dynamics that play into the situation.

1) Vehicle failure (flat tire)
2) Poor road markings (hence the need for sensors on the road)
3) Weather conditions
4) Idiot drivers
5) Wildlife

There are so many outside variables that it isn't even funny. I'm happy to see a start towards what we would all like, but this is still a long way off (I'd say 30-50 years) to ever being able to enter in a destination and take a nap.

Would some of the technology used in the parking systems be used, sure. Is it more complicated then driving, not a chance.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
No it's not. It's a controlled situation, driving on the road has outside dynamics that play into the situation.

1) Vehicle failure (flat tire)
2) Poor road markings (hence the need for sensors on the road)
3) Weather conditions
4) Idiot drivers
5) Wildlife

There are so many outside variables that it isn't even funny. I'm happy to see a start towards what we would all like, but this is still a long way off (I'd say 30-50 years) to ever being able to enter in a destination and take a nap.

Would some of the technology used in the parking systems be used, sure. Is it more complicated then driving, not a chance.
Actually you could easily engineer in a fail-safe with sensors that would set off an alarm and disable the TAP in each of those perspective scenarios and slow the vehicle to a stop.

There has been talk in the industry for years of developing special lanes with sensors for specialized vehicles that could run at high speeds close together on auto pilot to pre-programmed destinations. The problem has always been that the technology wasn't there yet. Recent advances in technology is bringing this closer to reality.

Perhaps we'll all be commuting in Johnny-cabs in the not so distant future.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Presents "Temporary Auto Pilot"