Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Union sets strike deadline at GM

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Josh452
What I don't understand is that people buy that the Union must let their jobs simply get up and walk away to go to foreign countries, while we "give give give" for the past several years.

Should the UAW just sit back, take it in the *** and say "yea, take this, take that, but don't give us job protection down the line, because our jobs don't mean squat."
Josh,

I think that the bigger question is this; Why should GM offer job guarantees to UAW workers? Most other jobs simply do not have this kind of protection. They are performance based. A skilled worker will offer value to their employer. Skill and work ethic are the attributes that keep most workers relevant to the workplace. The UAW does not want to operate in this environment like most of the country does. They want 'job protection' at the expense of the individuals responsibility to ensure their worth. IMO, this approach is selfish and removes GM's authority to manage quality control. Everyone wants GM to produce good cars but they are at a disadvantage when the UAW is pulling the strings. Just my 2 cents...

Brian
Old 09-25-2007, 08:20 AM

How can you make the argument that "Everyone wants GM to produce good cars but they are at a disadvantage when the UAW is pulling the strings" when the top performing plant in the last Harbour Reports are those that employ UAW workers? I don't call that a disadvantage.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by georgejetson
Josh, with all due respect, your whole line of argument misses the point: the landscape has shifted. There isn't some fixed set of resources that is being "given" and "taken" between the company and the union; the pile of resources has shrunk significantly because the world has changed.

If the union fails to accept significant reductions in total compensation, including changes to benefits and the elimination of the ridiculous "jobs bank", and fails to accept that the company needs flexibility in scheduling products and programs among its plants, and further fails to "let their jobs simply get up and walk away to go to foreign countries", the company will cease to exist. Then there will be no GM jobs for anyone. How will you feel then?

Your team has its head stuck in the sand. Ron G et al seem to think that if they just have a big enough tantrum, somehow it will magically be 1978 again. It isn't going to work.
Well said. I agree 100%.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I don't think having a headquarters in any particular place is going to make it easier to deal with the UAW.

I know there won't be any new factories going up in Michigan ever again though, that much is for sure.
My bad, I didn't mean headquarters, no need to move that. I was just bein' a smart ***. GM should just pull all of it's plants from Union areas and move to non union areas... Kinda like Toyota did

Might actually save money in the long run...
Old 09-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
You're assuming that the UAW acted without provocation from GM - we don't know what ultimately caused the union to pull the trigger. Something is fishy; both sides were talking as if everything was sunshine and roses up until this morning.

An interesting point is that GM's stock price barely dropped today, so Wall Street ain't too worried about the situation. That's going to give GM some incentive to stick to its guns.
It's true that we don't know exactly why the UAW decided to strike but I wasn't assuming it was without provocation; I am saying that, provoked or not, I think it's a really stupid (and potentially very destructive) move.

As far as GM's stock prices; word on the street is not that investors "aren't worried" but that they see GM standing up to the UAW as a good sign that the contract they finally wind up with will be a measurable benefit to GM and help them bring their labor costs in line (and therefore make it a better investment).

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 09-25-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:49 AM

Since there's an abundance of information / opinions against the UAW, I wanted to let some see the other side...

UAW shocked by GM’s failure to recognize worker contributions; sets strike deadline for 11 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 24
The UAW announced today that due to the failure of General Motors to address job security and other mandatory issues of bargaining, the union has set a firm strike deadline for 11 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 24.

“We’re shocked and disappointed that General Motors has failed to recognize and appreciate what our membership has contributed during the past four years,” said UAW President Ron Gettelfinger. “Since 2003 our members have made extraordinary efforts every time the company came to us with a problem: the corporate restructuring, the attrition plan, the Delphi bankruptcy, the 2005 health care agreement. In every case, our members went the extra mile to find reasonable solutions.

“Throughout this time period," said Gettelfinger, "it has been the dedication of UAW members that has helped GM set new standards for safety, quality and productivity in their manufacturing facilities. And in this current round of bargaining, we did everything possible to negotiate a new contract, including an unprecedented agreement to stay at the bargaining table nine days past the expiration of the previous agreement.”
“This is our reward: a complete failure by GM to address the reasonable needs and concerns of our members,” said UAW Vice President Cal Rapson, director of the union's GM Department. “Instead, in 2007 company executives continued to award themselves bonuses while demanding that our members accept a reduced standard of living.

“The company’s disregard for our members has forced our bargaining committee to take this course of action,” said Rapson. “Unless UAW members hear otherwise between now and the deadline, we will be on a national strike against GM at 11 a.m. EDT on Monday, Sept. 24th.”

The UAW negotiating team will remain at the bargaining table, Rapson said, throughout the night and up until the 11 a.m. deadline.

Last edited by 90rocz; 09-25-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
Since there's an abundance of information / opinions against the UAW, I wanted to let some see the other side...
C'mon 90Rocz...you know that's just more UAW spin.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:56 AM

The UAW announced today that due to the failure of General Motors to address job security
Now there's a statement loaded with irony. GM hasn't made a profit in this country for years. Even though there are overall world profits, GM is still bleeding money in the US. Can't imagine why? Why is GM making money elsewhere and not here.... hmmmm... tough one to figure out.

While it is wrong for the executives to get big bonuses, that's the way the world works. Deal with it.

I'm a civil engineer and UAW GM factory workers make more than I do
Old 09-25-2007, 10:07 AM

Thanks Josh for adding some detail to to this story. Not a lot being reported in the mainstream news.

Seems to be basic negotiation that GM has to give the UAW something if they want this settled. If they aren't willing to budge, its probably a good sign that production is being moved off shore in a similar manner to Delphi.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 AM

I have probably made it clear over the years through my posts that I am anti-union. I want people to have good jobs but I think it is not in GM best interest to guarantee jobs to the union like they do. GM needs to be more flexible now than ever. If a worker is not performing well they need to be able to let him go and find a replacement. If a vehicle line is not doing well they need to be able to reduce production and make necessary cuts to the workforce or move people where they are needed. It sucks. Ask people who work in aerospace. It's just a fact of life these days.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 AM

What advantage does GM gain if they stay with the UAW? Personally I think if GM opened a plant down the road from here and offered jobs around $15-$30 with a 401k and outsourced healthcare this area would start booming.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Josh452
C'mon 90Rocz...you know that's just more UAW spin.
Dude, that text is from a UAW press release. If that's not "UAW spin", then what exactly is it?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:47 AM

Regardless as to which side of the fence you're on.....

Has there been any further negotiations or movement on this? All we've heard for weeks now is how close they were to a deal. Now it doesn't seem like it.

Is it fair to say they'll either strike a deal very soon (within days), or it will be a long, painful process?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Regardless as to which side of the fence you're on.....

Has there been any further negotiations or movement on this? All we've heard for weeks now is how close they were to a deal. Now it doesn't seem like it.

Is it fair to say they'll either strike a deal very soon (within days), or it will be a long, painful process?
They went back to talks at about 10:00am I want to say. The issue is not VEBA as people have thought, it's more job security.

So, it really depends on if GM is willing to commit X amount of jobs to UAW plants. We shall see.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Evilfrog
What advantage does GM gain if they stay with the UAW? Personally I think if GM opened a plant down the road from here and offered jobs around $15-$30 with a 401k and outsourced healthcare this area would start booming.
Same here. Out best employer is John Deere in Waterloo......I think they pay around $15/hr starting. People get let go there all the time. GM could open a plant here and it would be heaven sent. People here would work their asses off to keep that job, not expect some ******* in his office to get a contract to do it for them.

Quick Reply: Union sets strike deadline at GM