Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

UAW threatens Ford, wants concessions back

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 PM

Re: UAW threatens Ford, wants concessions back

Threxx, you should know that you can't reason with a union hack. They actually believe they're on a mission from God or something.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:16 PM

Alan Mulally is worth every penny that Ford pays him.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 PM

I have some sort of grasp on inflation ,but if you think paying people 14-15 an hour to start will add more than a dollar to you local McDonalds value menu then you're wrong.
Inflation has a compounding cyclical effect. Nearly everything you spend money on is at some point processed by people making significantly lower wages than they would if they were part of a labor union.

I'm over simplifying things here, but let's say the entire US becomes unionized. Everyone's wages go up significantly. So now everything costs more to make and process. So now everyone's wages that went up end up being a wash because everything they buy costs more. We're right back where we left off except the US dollar is now worth less than it was. But that's not where it stops. Now that everything costs more, company profits are right back where they left off, so now the unions demand more money, which means things cost more, which means the companies bring in more money, which means the unions demand more.

Artificially inflated wages cause inflation.

When we had alot of Manufacturing jobs and alot of union jobs in this country how well was our country doing compared to today?
You're comparing our country's current economic state to its previous economic state and acting like that's all that has changed. That's far from the case.

But regardless, one of the main reasons we don't have many manufacturing jobs here anymore is because unions drove those jobs out to foreign countries. Granted, some of those jobs would have left regardless of unions, but many more could have been saved if people were willing to compete fairly.

One of the only reasons we still have union manufacturing jobs here at all is that our government has compensated for the over-demanding and under-performing union labor workers by making it more expensive for manufacturers to use foreign labor and import their products via various taxes.

Yes, and thats our governments fault, just like if the ATT/TMO deal goes through.
So you're acknowledging that your self-described 'ideal scenario' where your employer's competitors would be unionized as well, is anti-competitive and as a result would be naturally harmful to our domestic economy, but you're shifting blame to the government for theoretically allowing you to achieve your ideal scenario?

Just because there's a governing body that should stop you from engaging in anti-competitive practices (that often will not, because they're essentially being bribed by unions), that does not make your ideal scenario any better for the economy. That's like me admitting that admitting that stabbing you isn't good for you, but then acting like if I DO stab you, then it's the fault of the nearest police officer and not any fault of my own.

Most of my workers earn every cent they make, I've done their job and I know the demands we put on them, thank you. Could we pay them less like the competition/ sure but all the profits from that would go to making the wealthy stockholders and upper management even weathier.
And who is to say how much work it takes to earn a given amount of money?

Again, I will go back to my anti-competitive example from a corporate level. Let's say all of the gasoline companies in the US agree to double the price of gasoline because they feel they've earned every cent the increased price would be charging. Or if the same thing happened with your cell phone provider or all the grocery stores? Somehow I don't think you'd appreciate that as much as you appreciate telling a company how much they're going to pay you if they don't want to suffer the consequences of a strike.

No, when companies do that they end up cutting jobs to reduce redundancy for more profit. If companies were union and they wanted to stay competitive then they would have to start cutting wages of the highest paid people. I've seen it at my own company, they can't cut the union contract.
You missed the point of that paragraph entirely. Forget I said merge, just pretend we're talking about an oligopoly of companies being anti-competitive.

But regardless it's interesting to know that you think if two companies merge that it's wrong for them to eliminate redundancies. Again, let's flip this around on you and think about corporate anti-competitive practices. Let's say you have AT&T cell service and your fiance has Verizon. Let's say you two end up getting married, move in together, and realize that getting on a family plan with one company or the other would save you money. What if AT&T and Verizon formed a 'union' and told you that you both had to stay with your current respective companies or else they'd raise rates on you or deny service entirely to your family.

So lets say that everyone has a X degree, tell me Mr. Economist what will that do to wages for X degree holders? First it will rise the cost of obtaining that degree, second more people will have to get graduate degrees once the undergrad they have is essentially worthless, burdening the middle class with even more school loans of upwards of 80k just for a state school Bachelors/Masters. Then why would companies pay all these degree holders any decent salary when India can do their Engineering/ Software/ accounting? Or China can do the manufacturing?
You cannot be sitting there with a straight face telling me that it's better that we have a nation comprised primarily of uneducated people than to have a nation of educated people.

The answer to staying relevant and competitive on a global basis is to strengthen our workforce by making it better educated, more skilled and more competitive than ever. Not to give people a greater incentive to be lazy by promising everyone a minimum of middle class wages while reducing the incentive for people to succeed beyond the middle class because they'll see hardly anything for it.

I mean seriously... how do you see us competing against the very up and coming nations you just mentioned when we would have so much incentive to be lazy and uneducated?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
But regardless, one of the main reasons we don't have many manufacturing jobs here anymore
To be fair, even though we've very recently been passed by China we're still in the top 2 or 3 in the world both in manufacturing and exporting. It's another myth to say we don't make "anything" here anymore.

You cannot be sitting there with a straight face telling me that it's better that we have a nation comprised primarily of uneducated people than to have a nation of educated people.

The answer to staying relevant and competitive on a global basis is to strengthen our workforce by making it better educated, more skilled and more competitive than ever. Not to give people a greater incentive to be lazy by promising everyone a minimum of middle class wages while reducing the incentive for people to succeed beyond the middle class because they'll see hardly anything for it.

I mean seriously... how do you see us competing against the very up and coming nations you just mentioned when we would have so much incentive to be lazy and uneducated?
Bingo.

In closing I'll say this, one of the biggest problems we have as a nation is that there are some people who confuse equality of wealth with equality of opportunity. It's been on display here anyway....
Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
In closing I'll say this, one of the biggest problems we have as a nation is that there are some people who confuse equality of wealth with equality of opportunity. It's been on display here anyway....
That's interesting. I was in college and I went to school with this guy from Central Africa. He said, "this (usa) is my favorite country. I love this country." I asked why and said, "you have the oppernunity to do suceed. If you work hard enough, you can be quite comfotable. If you invent something, you can reap the reward."

Just thought I'd share some different perspective.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 PM

Now take the dream of this man from Africa, and tell him "yes, and when you reap the rewards of your hard work, we will tax you at a 90% rate, to punish you, and give that money to people who wish to do little to nothing."

What do you think that would do to his view of America??

I cannot believe that anyone would advocate a "wealth tax."
Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 PM

So much ignorance in this thread. The reason why the middle class was strong in the 50's had nothing to do with taxing the rich at an insane level of 91%. Its because we were the only country left with a manufactuing base. Remember that big event called WWII which destroyed thecrest of the world. They also had 90% tax rates in the 20's and 30's and we all know what happened then. Outsourcing is what is hurting the middle class not tax rates.
I think these union guys should push for better profit sharing and take some risk with the company they work for.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:11 PM

One more thing I want to add, back in the day with 90% tax rates, nobody paid those rates. They had so many loop holes, tax shelters, credits, and deductions nobody paid those rates. Where do you think the old saying "the rich dont pay taxes" came from, when in fact the rich pay most of the taxes in todays world.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 PM

But regardless, one of the main reasons we don't have many manufacturing jobs here anymore is because unions drove those jobs out to foreign countries. Granted, some of those jobs would have left regardless of unions, but many more could have been saved if people were willing to compete fairly.
I'm not going to respond to the rest because obviously I am not going to change your mind. The average chinese worker at foxxconn makes something like 292 dollars a month, works 18 hour days, seven days a week.

I sincerely hope your job gets outsourced so you can compete with those "fair wages".
Afterall who is to say what is fair? Why even have minimum wage when an illegal will do it for half, while they pop out 10 kids that taxpayers pay for.

Last edited by TrackMagicWS6; 03-24-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
So much ignorance in this thread. The reason why the middle class was strong in the 50's had nothing to do with taxing the rich at an insane level of 91%. Its because we were the only country left with a manufactuing base. Remember that big event called WWII which destroyed thecrest of the world. They also had 90% tax rates in the 20's and 30's and we all know what happened then. Outsourcing is what is hurting the middle class not tax rates.
I think these union guys should push for better profit sharing and take some risk with the company they work for.
I was unaware that the rest of the world was just composed of nations impacted in ww2. What about Sweden, Switzerland, Argentina, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Turkey, Spain.

Their tax rates had nothing to do with WW2, Paying reparations for WW1 did.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by TrackMagicWS6
I was unaware that the rest of the world was just composed of nations impacted in ww2. What about Sweden, Switzerland, Argentina, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Turkey, Spain.

Those countries dont even come close to the manufacturung base this country had after WWII or even before it.
My mistake on the tax thing, i meant America had tax rates as high as 90% in the 20's and 30's then the depression hit.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 PM

Even combined could not even come close to the manufacturing ability of the US post WW2.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:46 AM

That's where pro-union people can't seem to see reason.

They'll take offense to that statement and ask you why just because somebody has a degree they 'deserve' to make more money.

To that I try to reason with them that having a degree doesn't assure you anything, but being able to do a job that most people are incapable of doing without going through that same educational process means that the laws of supply and demand dictate a higher wage for that person, than a person doing a job that basically any high school dropout could do with a month or less of hands on training.

The only reason the union guy will make as much or more money as the person with a more unique and demanded skill set is that the union, by nature, upsets the balance of supply and demand determining wages by holding the company hostage with the threat of shutting their labor down entirely if they don't pay up.

I seriously don't understand how this doesn't make sense to union people. They are getting paid far more than they are worth.
EXACTLY!!! Unions are like parasites. The best they can offer is to ease up a bit so as not to kill the host.

What Mulally makes is between him and Ford. I am not a Ford guy, but God bless him! If Ford feels he is worth tons of money and are freely willing to give it to him great! If Ford wants to replace him, then that is fine by me too.

Now the unions and union workers like you said hold the business hostage when they strike. If you could, and should be able to replace a union worker, like any worker, for refusing to work then the salary agreed on between the business and the worker would be no ones business. Its not though, because the whole point of a Union is to be able to bargain with the threat of shutting down production.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 03-25-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:59 AM

Tax rates aside, the US did not get itself out of the great depression. We were on the path to the country collapsing. WWII pulled us out when our main global competitors Japan, Germany, Italy, Great Britain, most of Europe were bombing each others manufacturing plants to ruble. A large portion of their work force were either in those plants which were producing war material and therefore no longer profitable, or in the field fighting each other, also (while bravely defending their countries) not doing anything to turn a profit....

Of the Major economy countries before WWII, the US was one of the few and definitely the biggest relatively untouched. As tragic as Pearl Harbor was, it was not a manufacturing plant or corporation. No other country in the world had as much of a benefit on that size as the US did...

I find it hard to believe Unions were ever good for business or our economy, and at best did relatively less financial damage.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 03-25-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson

In your opinion. The only opinion that matters is the company's board of directors/large investors. Since you and I are neither (at Ford, or anywhere else) our opinions are meaningless.

This is a very big issue, it's been covered by The Economist and others that CEO's, especially in America are paid too much money (far more than European CEO's) and not at all related to their actual performance. It's more a good 'ol boys circle jerk.

Quick Reply: UAW threatens Ford, wants concessions back