Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

toyotas new fuel cell hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:27 AM

toyotas new fuel cell hybrid

TOKYO (AP) - Toyota has developed a new fuel cell hybrid, a green car powered by hydrogen and electricity, that can travel more than twice the distance of its predecessor model without filling up.

The improved model's maximum cruising range is 516 miles compared with 205 miles for Toyota's previous fuel cell model.

The FCHV-adv model received Japanese government approval earlier this week. It will be available for leasing in Japan later this year. Pricing and other details weren't available, and overseas plans were still undecided.

Fuel cell vehicles produce no pollution by running on the power of the chemical reaction when hydrogen stored in a tank combines with oxygen in the air to produce water.

The FCHV-adv from the world's second biggest automaker also comes with an electric motor and works as a hybrid by switching between that motor and the hydrogen-powered fuel cell.

Toyota's Prius hybrid switches between an electric motor and a standard gasoline engine.
http://www.fox23news.com/business/st...9-88dac6098042

i hate toyota but im big advocate of fuel cell technology. if they start getting fueling stations and stuff going and gm doesn't get in gear i would jump ship and buy a toyota.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Koz

It says they're leasing in Japan this year. Do they have hydrogen stations in Japan? I'm all for it, but I wonder how long it would take for us to get hydrogen stations up instead of gas stations (and who would produce it?)
Old 06-06-2008, 10:41 AM
slt

How much does a tank of hydrogen cost?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by slt
How much does a tank of hydrogen cost?
you know that a really good question. but if i had to pay a little more for hydrogen to achieve a stable price then i would gladly do that.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 AM

Could hydrogen be put in a tank/pump like we have now?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Fox23News
The FCHV-adv from the world's second biggest automaker also comes with an electric motor and works as a hybrid by switching between that motor and the hydrogen-powered fuel cell.
Two motors?

Oh wait. It only has one. Its fox 23 news. That station is a joke and they as usual dont know what they're talking about.

However, 516 miles is *NOT* a joke. I wonder what the lease rates will be for this thing?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM

Isn't it costing Honda some $100,000 per vehicle for the fuel cell with the car they're leasing in California? I wonder how much cheaper fuel cells could be made with a higher volume (millions per year)?

The good thing about hydrogen is it can be made using electricity from a variety of sources. It's not as efficient as storing electricity in batteries, but if you can drive 500 miles per fill up it sounds like a good deal.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by indieaz
It's not as efficient as storing electricity in batteries, but if you can drive 500 miles per fill up it sounds like a good deal.
Well, pulling hydrogen out of water with electricity is terribly inefficient - we'd need huge numbers of nuclear plants to do it.

But to put things in perspective - if you used gasoline, cracked it to get all the usable hydrogen out of it - and then used that to power the car via an electric fuel cell - you'd get more usable energy out of the gasoline than the modern internal combustion engine does.

And while getting hydrogen compressed or liquified is obnoxious - by mass its energy density is incredible - and beyond batteries. By volume, thats another story
Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
Well, pulling hydrogen out of water with electricity is terribly inefficient - we'd need huge numbers of nuclear plants to do it.

But to put things in perspective - if you used gasoline, cracked it to get all the usable hydrogen out of it - and then used that to power the car via an electric fuel cell - you'd get more usable energy out of the gasoline than the modern internal combustion engine does.

And while getting hydrogen compressed or liquified is obnoxious - by mass its energy density is incredible - and beyond batteries. By volume, thats another story
Exactly. I really think we are going to see proliferation of electric vehicles decades before we see anything that is powered by fuel cells or hydrogen.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:39 PM

At current electricity prices, hydrogen is $2-5 per kilogram. The Honda Clarity claims a fuel economy of 68 miles per kg of H2. That's rather attractive.

Unfortunately, fuel cells are not yet ready for mass-market consumption, and there's really not a clear path to bringing down the cost at this point.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
At current electricity prices, hydrogen is $2-5 per kilogram. The Honda Clarity claims a fuel economy of 68 miles per kg of H2. That's rather attractive.

Unfortunately, fuel cells are not yet ready for mass-market consumption, and there's really not a clear path to bringing down the cost at this point.
im not to familiar with the fuel cells but after car has lived its life could the fuel cells be taken out and put into another car? i mean how long could a fuel cell last i would think they would have a extremely long life span.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 PM

Too bad we don't have the setup to provide hydrogen even if these cars become viable.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
Too bad we don't have the setup to provide hydrogen even if these cars become viable.
we didnt for e85 either but thats poping up like crazy.

not every one had digital antenas and goverment mandated it and sent out coupons and now in feb in 2009 every one will have .

so if it became viable im sure the government would push gas stations to put pumps in. right now most gas stations you go to rent/rent to own there pumps any way.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by GRNcamaro
we didnt for e85 either but thats poping up like crazy.

not every one had digital antenas and goverment mandated it and sent out coupons and now in feb in 2009 every one will have .

so if it became viable im sure the government would push gas stations to put pumps in. right now most gas stations you go to rent/rent to own there pumps any way.
E85 is like another choice in gasoline. Hydrogen requires a bit different handling...
Old 06-06-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by GRNcamaro
im not to familiar with the fuel cells but after car has lived its life could the fuel cells be taken out and put into another car? i mean how long could a fuel cell last i would think they would have a extremely long life span.
Sure, you could recycle the materials, but who's going to pay the $100K up-front costs for the platinum catalyst?

The fuel cell theoretically has a long life, if it's not "poisoned" by contamination (they're supposedly damn sensitive to anything that's not pure air and hydrogen). There is also some pretty wild supporting equipment required to supply pressurized fresh air to the cell, and to circulate the coolant.

Quick Reply: toyotas new fuel cell hybrid