Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Toyota Tundra "See Saw" Commercial - Myths and Facts

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Admin Emeritus

Toyota Tundra "See Saw" Commercial - Myths and Facts

This was sent to me by my uncle, a retired Ford engineer. I know there have been "deceptive" practices in advertisements ever since the advertisement was invented on cave walls. However, I found this interesting since I am familiar with the commercial. This was said to have come from a GMC dealer, take that for what it is worth and you can take all of this with a grain of salt for all I care, I found it interesting.

There has been a lot of talk about Toyota Tundra's new ads and how impressive they are. Here are some myths about their spots that I have found and that should be refuted. Also, they are offering a "IVC" type program on Tundra to help with sales. I would guess all of you have seen the ad where the Tundra pulls a trailer up a steep grade (a 'see-saw'), and then barrels down hill and locks the brakes up just before the end of the ramp. Many of you have commented on how well done the spot is visually. However, here are the actual facts to share with people:
  1. The voice over at the beginning of the spot says...."It's tough pushing 10,000 lbs up a steep grade".
    Myth: Toyota would like the audience to believe the trailer is 10,000 lbs.
    Fact: It's a 5,000 lb truck pulling a 5,000 lb trailer. A little slight of hand? You bet.

2. Then, on the way down the grade, the camera zooms in on the brakes as the vehicles comes to a screeching halt just prior to the end of ramp. Next time you see the ad....look for the 'mice type'. It indicates the trailer is equipped with electric brakes.
    Fact: The electric brakes stop the trailer -- not the truck. A little slight of hand? You bet.

3. And why does Toyota have bigger brake pads? They need them....their truck is heavier. Stopping distance between our truck and theirs is virtually identical. And why does Toyota have a 6 speed transmission? To improve their fuel economy....which is still 2 mpg less than ours.

4. And don't forget....their big V8 has one axle ratio -- a 4.3. Suck fuel much? Our trucks offer several axle options to optimize towing and fuel economy. Bottom line: OUR TRUCK IS BETTER! Spread the word.......we can all make a difference.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:14 PM

I personally like the big GMC Dually pulling the freight-train, in the "Professional Grade" commercial.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Banned

Funny thing is anyone that would tow a trailer knows that toyota will strugle like crap pulling 5000lbs.

I would never buy anything other than a ford or GM....Unless it was a big truck or dump truck....sure as hell would never depend on a toyota
Old 03-20-2007, 06:42 PM

This sounds like one for the brains at Top Gear to debunk, considering they've mastered the dyno. That is, assuming anyone actually took the Toyota commercial seriously.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:16 PM

The Toyota is still the best for drag racing though
Old 03-20-2007, 08:40 PM

Good info. I know most car companies fudge a bit on their advertising. Usually is obvious like the GM truck pulling the train. We know the truck couldn't but we get the message that it could tow quite a bit. But with Toyota they really acted like the Tundra could do that stuff and backed it up with quotes on weights or stopping distance. To me thats worse.
In defense of the people whom wrote that article I agree the GM truck is better!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:28 PM

Got the same info Jason. From what I got in the email it was a GMC dealer who stacked GMC to tundra and the advertising.

Something GMC should go after in thier marketing.
Toyota is making a big deal about bigger this or stronger that.
Shoot back with a really? Why now does our truck still stop with smaller brakes. Get better MPG and have more towing. All in all its not Prof. Grade

GM should fire back like Ford is with the dirtyjobs guy doing the comparisons on TV. If GM chimes in with the same. You will see it is just an oversized Tacoma.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 PM

If it hasnt been mentioned...

On their site there was/is a Making Of... clip for the commercial. On that you can see no less than 3 Ford work trucks and the Toyota "actor"
Old 03-21-2007, 06:20 AM

So using electric brakes on a 5,000 trailer is "deceptive"? Er, no - that's simply common sense. And the crap about the 4.30 rear gears was already beat to death in another thread.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike the Tundra without picking apart its advertising. I seriously doubt that the Detroit 3 want anyone doing the same to their own ads.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
So using electric brakes on a 5,000 trailer is "deceptive"? Er, no - that's simply common sense. And the crap about the 4.30 rear gears was already beat to death in another thread.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike the Tundra without picking apart its advertising. I seriously doubt that the Detroit 3 want anyone doing the same to their own ads.
It's deceptive because the commercial would have you believe that the Tundra is capable of towing a 10,000 pound trailer up a steep incline, then stop all of that weight with only it's own brakes coming down the opposite side. To the average viewer, who doesn't tow anything (or is thinking about towing something - a boat, trailer, etc.), this looks quite impressive. Anyone who knows better calls B.S. instantly when seeing the commercial, like I did when it aired during the Super Bowl.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mdacton
Funny thing is anyone that would tow a trailer knows that toyota will strugle like crap pulling 5000lbs.
Not this toyota. It's more powerful than GM/Ford, so tell me, how will it "struggle like crap"?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
To the average viewer...
To the average viewer none of this really matters. Average viewer does not understand towing numbers, average viewer also understands it's a set where the commercial is filmed. It may have the "neat" factor, but it won't make much more.

(Almost) all truck commercials are advertised as the most powerful in their class. At the end, the average viewer will gather than any truck is more powerful than the rest.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 AM

There is, unfortunately, even more misinformation and half-truths in that 'email' than there are in that commercial.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Anyone that tows 5000+ pounds on a trailer without its own brakes is crazy. Why would anyone expect that the trailer didn't have brakes?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:32 AM

The fact remains that they say "stopping 10000 lbs," which is definitely meant to imply that the brakes are doing that work themselves. Simple as that.

If it is in fact a 5000 lb trailer, then they deliberately misled on that count too, if I recall the wording of the ad correctly.

Again, there is no question that powertrain is one impressive combo, and the truck is undoubtedly capable for a "half ton". But that is irrelevant to the fact that they were intentionally misleading people. Not even close to everyone who buys pickups uses them to tow (especially half tons).

That's what it seems to me.

Of course, Chevy did at one point imply that the Corvette could fly, but thankfully that ad got pulled before it fooled too many people.

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra "See Saw" Commercial - Myths and Facts