Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

toyota to run in nascar.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 10:47 AM

toyota to run in nascar.

according to autoweek,toyota will run in winston cup by '05 or '06,they are currently working on a V-8 to place in "whatever the camry looks like" by '06.personally i don't care,the cars aren't stock anymore,so what can a V-6 FWD-based camry with RWD and a big V-8 matter next to the other phony "stock cars".i figure the diehard nascar fans will have a fit,which that alone would be worth it.any opinions?
Old 02-02-2003, 10:57 AM

dis one's got Lo-Tek, yo!

Are they going to make a PUSHROD Toyota engine?

Man, that'd almost be worth it to hear the ricers response...
Old 02-02-2003, 11:27 AM

I wonder what the ricers will say when you tell them that the nascar doesn't need a turbo just like our domestics. Then they might learn there is no replacement for displacement.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:35 AM

I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but this might be pretty controversial considering it's an import... I thought they had a long standing 'domestic only' rule...
Old 02-02-2003, 11:43 AM

I don't even like Nascar, but welcome the idea. Nascar could use a little more diversity.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:48 AM

Re: dis one's got Lo-Tek, yo!

Originally posted by WERM
Are they going to make a PUSHROD Toyota engine?

Man, that'd almost be worth it to hear the ricers response...
I remember reading something about a Toyota built "Nascar" once. I have the magazine at home somwhere. This car, I'm not sure what series it was built for used a Carb'd OHC motor. I wouldnt be suprised though if thats not legal in NASCAR.

Whatll be intresting to hear though is if this car actually starts to dominate the circuit. Then youd hear some trash talkin from the ricers. "We can build your cars better yadda yadda yadda.."

Whatever it is, I'm intrested to see it.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:34 PM

they already race a Celica stock car with moddd 4 banger engines in the I think Tropicana series or something...I saw one of Toyotas ads saying there in NASCAR..though it be something other than winston cup..I think they might go with Bush series to see how people feel..
Old 02-02-2003, 12:42 PM

Re: toyota to run in nascar.

Originally posted by Derek Smalls
".i figure the diehard nascar fans will have a fit,which that alone would be worth it.any opinions?
Oh yeah...this is going to be fun. I can just hear them saying a Camry is not a "real" stock car.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but this might be pretty controversial considering it's an import... I thought they had a long standing 'domestic only' rule...
But that gets kinda screwy when the Monte is made in Canada, and the Camry is made in the US.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:10 PM

What are the engine rules? Im not a NASCAR fan either, but I would also find it hillarious to see a V8 pushrod Camry running around after getting DOHC **** shoved down our throats for the past 5 years.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:31 PM

LOL>...at last its not Honda..with V-Tech plastered on the hood ...with a V-8 instead..lol
Think NASCAR would sanction those wings???
Old 02-02-2003, 04:54 PM

Thumbs down

I think this shows how dumb NASCAR has become.

A car's drivetrain, configuration, and it's availability as a coupe or sedan is no longer relavent to participate in NASCAR, but yet it's still called Stock Car Racing!

I'd say import Australia's V8 series, or even rallye racing. NASCAR's "stock car" racing is a joke.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:24 PM

I don't know the rules or anything, but I thought the cars were required to use pushrods. (??) I may be wrong, of course. I seriously think NASCAR ought to return to the way it started. Sure it would be slow, but I think it would be kind of interesting to see a bunch of "real" Monte Carlos and Tauruses going at it. Of course, the GTO could really pour on the hurtin'!
Old 02-02-2003, 08:36 PM

Toyota runs in the Goody's Dash Series now with a Celica I think. It is an OHC engine, but they aren't allowed as much displacement as the pushrod cars.

Toyota is going to first start competing in the Craftman Truck Series with the Tundra. Yes, they are going to make a pushrod engine for this series. NASCAR wouldn't let them get away with a OHC in the trucks. Basically, Toyota is using this as a proving grounds to get into Winston Cup, much like Dodge did.

After running in CTS for a couple years, Toyota is going to move into Winston Cup. It will be the first foriegn nameplate in NASCAR in years. Many people don't know this, but foriegn cars were allowed to race in NASCAR in it's early days. If I'm not mistaken, a Jaguar won a race years ago.

Obviously, NASCAR is trying to expand it's fan base by allowing foriegn cars in it's top series. They are trying to get away from their red-necked roots and become more upscale. I'm a big NASCAR fan and I hate for them to get away from their roots. Short track racing is the most exciting racing in NASCAR yet all these new tracks are 1.5 miles or bigger and NASCAR is ready to get rid of the small tracks. I think it's a big mistake. I'm actually all for bringing Toyota into Winston Cup. I can't wait to see Harvick slam a ricer in the wall!
Old 02-02-2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by DaxsZ28
They are trying to get away from their red-necked roots and become more upscale. I'm a big NASCAR fan and I hate for them to get away from their roots.
I wouldn't call Toyota more upscale, just a differnet type of red-neck. Now if they start racing a Caddy CTS that would be upscale (and make the CTS drivers dress like snobs too)

Quick Reply: toyota to run in nascar.