Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Toyota must be stopped...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 02:40 PM

WOW Robert just sat back and read that.I gotta agree with you..

..SIDE NOTE..about China you are 100 % right!Damn see I dont take opposite sides to everything.. Now take Japan they will do it economically. China with its shear size will do it by force. Now tell me who is going to make the first move..economically or military? Japans got the headstart but Chinas got the size to stop this all in one world war..But lets not get of the topic at hand shall we..still looking for the other questions pertaining to auto industries.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suaveat69 I would like to know how much these "so-called multi national companies" donated to Katrina and the New Orleans debacle? I would wager that GM donated more money thatn all other rice car companies combined!Happy John Bradford Day!!!

If you really want to know why don't you just look it up? Oh...wait...that might let some of fact in...nevermind.
Caps94ZODG
Suaveat69 I hope you didn't bet to much, they did thier fair share but not that much more though still at the top though all things tallied. The fact is sometimes the facts are overlooked for smaller more irrelivent fact to make points about.
You are challenging my statement? I knew approx. what Gm donated compared to the rest. I wanted to see if you could throw in some facts but...you didn't.

Caps, to bad I did not bet with you 'cause you would have lost. I don't present facts that are fabricated or plain wrong to make a point. You don't need to do that when you have facts.

Sources: GM, ARC,Money, Philap. Org.

GM-Money-3.5 Million plus $100,000 a year for the next 6
Vehicles donated-250 @ apprx. value $6,000,000
Plus-Free On Star, Clothing, food and finacial assitance-Mortgages, auto oans. = Over $10 Million

Ford-$1 Million in money + $2 Million in vehicles = 3 Million
DCX-Total of $1,050,000
Honda-$5 Million
Nissan-$500,000 + 50 Trucks
Toyota-$5 Million

Rice Total= about 11 Million
GM Total-$10 Million
Domestic Total-Over $14 Million.

I don't know why you sontiune to argue with robert. THis is the same guy who thinks that a Nisan assembled in the USA with 46% domestic content is better than a Chevy assembled in Mexico with 74-82% domestic content. He still thinks that the majority of profits from Nissan stay here.

i covered this before but why is it that we build items in Mexico, the main reason and it is not becasue of cost?
Old 12-03-2006, 04:20 PM

more than likely I'll be out driving my "evil" Nissan 350Z
Finally something I agreee with.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:26 PM

I buy Dexter dress shoes.
I have been buying them for ove 10 yeras now. They on;ly place I shop for shoes is DSW. The only place that I know of that carries shoe made in the USA and other friendly place besides China.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Suaveat69
I have been buying them for ove 10 yeras now. They on;ly place I shop for shoes is DSW. The only place that I know of that carries shoe made in the USA and other friendly place besides China.
DAYUM!!!

I typically buy mine at an actual Dexter outlet in Buffalo, NY when I am in Tonawanda on business (you GM gearheads should know what Tonawanda has there...). I have a pair (with me here in Europe in fact) that are 6 years old, look great, feel awesome, and rival Rockports or Sevanes in looks.
What GREAT American quality and value. That's why I keep buying them.

I'll go 1-up on you though... my Hanes underwear and T-shirts are actually die-cut in Statesville, NC and sewn in Winston-Salem, NC. It's got to be one of the last hold-outs for Sara-Lee not to ship the sewing of underwear to Central America or Asia. (Wife worked for Sara-Lee for 13 years before they off-shored her job 3 years ago to Costa-Rica, and as a product scheduler, we got the inside scoop on what was made where.)
So for those of you with a conscience... Hanes-branded apparel gets a good mark from me.
Beware that their Playtex, Bali, and other house-brands are die-cut in the Carolinas, but sewn in Central American countries, then shipped back to Gastonia NC for packaging and distribution to various retailers.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:39 AM

Slightly off-topic, but related in a sense of "manufacturing ethics" which we have discussed in this thread...

Do we REALLY want to hand all manufacturing power over to people of a culture that fertilizes this kind of irresponsible behavior?

"Sewage in lard" prompts new China health scare

"China has arrested the manager of a factory which used grease from swill, sewage and recycled industrial oil to make edible lard, a Chinese newspaper said on Monday in the latest health scare to hit the country."

"Billions of dollars worth of counterfeit and substandard goods, from fake liquor to luxury handbags, are produced every year in China."

"In 2004, a major health scandal erupted when China revealed that at least 13 babies had died from malnutrition in the country's impoverished eastern province of Anhui after being fed fake baby milk powder."

"Last week, several fish farms in eastern Shandong province breeding turbot, a popular type of flatfish, were fined and ordered to suspend sales after traces of cancer-causing chemicals including malachite green were detected in samples."

"Authorities in several cities last month found Sudan IV, a cancer-causing industrial dye, in "red-yolk" duck eggs sold to poultry farmers who had mixed it with feed."

I mean - c'mon guys. Just how DUH-STUPID do we have to be to see what goes on overseas - especially in Asian countries?

It's only a matter of time before we start seeing Chery's and Geely's on our streets with sub-par welding, crash-safe chassis and passenger compartments, flammable materials, etc. Hell, who knows, we might see a hepa-filter A/C system that simply emits carcenogenic particles straight into your face because "they" found a cheaper supplier of filter material over there in the rice paddys.

Likewise, even if they ASSEMBLE the cars here, they can import the parts from over there and pretty-much get whatever they spec. The US has already busted them for dumping sub-standard windshields here in the USA...
Chinese Company Appeals to WTO Over Alleged Windshield Dumping in US

Yes, I'm always looking at the negative aspects, but dammit, SOMEBODY needs to.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Suaveat69;
You are challenging my statement? I knew approx. what Gm donated compared to the rest. I wanted to see if you could throw in some facts but...you didn't.

Caps, to bad I did not bet with you 'cause you would have lost. I don't present facts that are fabricated or plain wrong to make a point. You don't need to do that when you have facts.

I don't know why you sontiune to argue with robert. THis is the same guy who thinks that a Nisan assembled in the USA with 46% domestic content is better than a Chevy assembled in Mexico with 74-82% domestic content. He still thinks that the majority of profits from Nissan stay here.

i covered this before but why is it that we build items in Mexico, the main reason and it is not becasue of cost?

I apologize Suaveat69, actually it wasnt directed at you at all. sorry for making it so blanket in terms of sounding like I was responding to your comment. I had the facts in front of me and like stated it was on the top but what I foud was not 4times. I left it at that and did not post my finding cus I thought you might chime in with more.

and your right why continue to argue. well I said I agree to disagree and he wouldnt let ig go so hell I will keep my end of what I think is right even if he thinks were all wrong. Funny thing is people like you myself and others all have the same facts presented and were somehow wrong? Maybee I am to blame for making side notes but he goes off on tangents about stuff and not answering other questions presented to him concerning the matter.
again I apologize to you not him. I am willing to share my views with him even if he thinks I am wrong, why?? I know he is wrong and for some reason like you said he thinks it does not make a diffrence. But ohh were all on a GM board and back GM no matter what is his defence..whatever..
Old 12-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
WOW Robert just sat back and read that.I gotta agree with you..

..SIDE NOTE..about China you are 100 % right!Damn see I dont take opposite sides to everything.. Now take Japan they will do it economically. China with its shear size will do it by force.
Comparing what China wants to do to Western capitalism and democracy (which is destroy it) and what Asian or European automakers want to do (sell cars) is simply out of line - if you really think the two are the same; that there is no difference between them then I would invite you to re-think your position a bit.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Banned

Now that you’ve supplied your figures, let’s look at your original statement which was…
I would like to know how much these "so-called multi national companies" donated to Katrina and the New Orleans debacle? I would wager that GM donated more money thatn all other rice car companies combined!
I’m curious as to why you include only Honda, Nissan and Toyota and ignor all others…if you want to compare the "domestics" to the Asian nameplates then why not include all of them?

At any rate, by your own figures, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota alone donated $10,500,000 in cash and approximately $1,000,000 in vehicles (50 Titans @ $23,000 = $1,150,000) for a total of $11,050,000.

GM’s gave a total of approximately $10,000,000 and the big 2.5 gave a total of approximately $14,000,000 in cash/vehicles (although why you continue to include DCX as one of the domestics when it’s wholly owned by a German company is interesting).

At any rate the asian nameplates, by your own figures, gave more than GM despite your initial asertion and, overall, acquitted themselves quite well.

Moreover, if you looked at the relative value/capital investment (what some have referred to as the “footprint”) of each company in the US compared to what they gave, I would submit that the “ricer” companies as you delicately put it were more than generous.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 12-07-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 PM

All companies, foreign or domestic, contribute to the country's economy one way or another. They all hire American workers. So whether you like it or not, they're good for the economy. Besides, w/o them, Domestics would not be forced to improve and you'd have less choices.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:49 PM

Just curious. Do you guys hate asian manufacturers in the US or asians in general? Are Nissan, Toyota and Mitsu really that bad or are you guys just angry because they're whipping the domestics' ***** in when it comes to profits?

No matter how patricotic you are, its simply not possible to buy 100% american. Its useless waving the US flag while wearing your Nike's that are made somewhere else. Hell, the fabric of the flag is probably imported. Besides, alot of US companies like GM are also trying to enter the asian market and are doing fairly ok. How much $ does that bring in to economy? The asian market is much bigger than the american market and domestics are beginning to realize this. Even if they dont do well locally, so long as they are doing fairly well abroad, they're ok.... Its called globalization.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by arjainz
Just curious. Do you guys hate asian manufacturers in the US or asians in general? Are Nissan, Toyota and Mitsu really that bad or are you guys just angry because they're whipping the domestics' ***** in when it comes to profits?

No matter how patricotic you are, its simply not possible to buy 100% american. Its useless waving the US flag while wearing your Nike's that are made somewhere else. Hell, the fabric of the flag is probably imported. Besides, alot of US companies like GM are also trying to enter the asian market and are doing fairly ok. How much $ does that bring in to economy? The asian market is much bigger than the american market and domestics are beginning to realize this. Even if they dont do well locally, so long as they are doing fairly well abroad, they're ok.... Its called globalization.
Who in the hell said anything about hating Asians??? Just becaseu you want to support your own country that means that you hate Asians?? Take your Liberal inuendo and stick it!

I don't wear nikes. as a matter of fact you will find not one foreign made product in my shoe or tool collection.

The asian market is not bigger thatn our market unless you include China, you know the ENEMY of the USA who would like to kill us.

Nothing wrong with trying to sell to ohter markets but at least in Japan they try not to buy our goods unlike we Americans.

Mitsu whippping our asses, now that is a good one.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
Now that you’ve supplier your figures, let’s look at your original statement which was…

I’m curious as to why you include only Honda, Nissan and Toyota and ignor all others…if you want to compare the "domestics" to the Asian nameplates then why not include all of them?

At any rate, by your own figures, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota alone donated $10,500,000 in cash and approximately $1,000,000 in vehicles (50 Titans @ $23,000 = $1,150,000) for a total of $11,050,000.

GM’s gave a total of approximately $10,000,000 and the big 2.5 gave a total of approximately $14,000,000 in cash/vehicles (although why you continue to include DCX as one of the domestics when it’s wholly owned by a German company is interesting).

At any rate the asian nameplates, by your own figures, gave more than GM despite your initial asertion and, overall, acquitted themselves quite well.

Moreover, if you looked at the relative value/capital investment (what some have referred to as the “footprint”) of each company in the US compared to what they gave, I would submit that the “ricer” companies as you delicately put it were more than generous.

I did not include the other becasue they were not listed in the top 50. But I was suprised to see how much they gave to the relief, very suprised. I will give them a thumbs up for that.

DCX-I just don't know why.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:50 PM

The asian market is not bigger thatn our market unless you include China, you know the ENEMY of the USA who would like to kill us.
You guys really cant live peacefully can you? You always have to find an enemy. Where did you get the info that China would like to kill us all? Wikipedia? No wonder the rest of the world hates the US.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:03 PM

Mitsu whippping our asses, now that is a good one.
2 out of 3 aint bad

Quick Reply: Toyota must be stopped...