Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Time for a reality check on the 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 03:49 PM

Re: Time for a reality check on the 5th gen

Originally Posted by Z284ever
RP has told us that the second choice for many buyers on the previous V6 Mustang wasn't a V6 Camaro but a Grand Am coupe.
Because Chevy made a Camaro that was not much more than an engine in a very big box with a very small place to sit. Not a winning combo.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:52 PM

Sadly, I lost track of the news on the 5th gen, and I don't care. If it comes out, it comes out. If it doesn't, I don't care anymore. I'll buy an older gen, or get a used C5, or even consider a Ford. They axed one of my favorite cars, and I just won't buy anything new from them again, especially if they butcher something or screw it up. If they want to sit on their ***, fine, I'll go buy something else. I'm not waiting up for anything anymore.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
This was the first all-new Mustang in TWENTY SIX YEARS, people. It SHOULD sell an extra 60k units! Did it ever occur to some of you that it sells sometimes solely because its a Mustang? News flash...it could have also been a sportier, evolutionary design, and it would have sold well too...
Jason, you made my point better than I did.

The Mustang was going to sell....regardless.

It would have sold even if it were not retro. It would have sold even had it not grown in mass. Hell, the old one sold as many in it's final year...when it was old, tired and people knew a new car was coming, as the 4th gen Camaro/Firebird (combined) did in it's best year. No one was saying that Camaro should become a carbon copy of Mustang then.

But I guess some here and some at GM are saying it now. Deviate slightly and you are a heretic. Go one inch smaller than Mustang....and you're told people don't want it smaller and it won't sell, (for some mysterious and unspecified reason). Want it abit more sophisticated than Mustang and you're told people don't want it more sophisticated and it won't sell, (for some mysterious and unspecified reason), question Mustang's retro design...and you'll get something else. Don't drink the Kool Aide - and you're a trouble maker and will ruin this site. Please.....
And to make matters worse, if you do in fact have a dissenting view on any of this, you supposedly don't have Camaro's best interests at heart.

Someone want to explain to me what's going on at this internet discussion forum?

Last edited by Z284ever; 08-29-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:19 PM

One thing Chevy should do is find out what Mustang buyer don't like about their car; what Camaro owners don't like about their car; and what the general buying public believes is wrong with the Mustang and ponycars in general, and fix those issues. Notice I didn't say they should focus on what the enthusiast crowd wants...
i dont agree with that. if the do that what will get is a 4 door fwd semi sporty but very econimical sedan or possibly crossover stationwagon looking thing with a base 130hp four and optional 230hp v6. the things the genral public dosnt like about pony cars are, 2 doors, rwd, little room inside, small trunk. take a look around while out driving, the general public wants 4 doors, economy and room. oh and suvs, in any shape and size. i personally dont want a z28 with a v6 and fwd with 4 doors do you?

also the whole irs thing, i personally dont want irs, too expensive, do you really want to pay high 20s and 35+ for base and top end camaros respectivly? i dont. the 03 cobral had irs and coincedentially the 07 cobra does not. why because the performance gain is not worth the extra cost. if you want irs get a gto or a vette. dont say the gtos too expensive because if the new camaro has irs it will cost just as much.

also i dont think the new mustang would be selling as well if it was not retro. it took the styling cues of the best looking mustangs ever and modernized them which along with the lack of any real competition in its class is making people who would have not otherwise taken a second look at the mustang, think about buying one, all without loosing the other poeple who love mustangs. i for one, being a hardcore dodge and chevy guy have toyed with the idea from time to time and if dodge or chevy dosnt at least show me some to look foward to ill probally be in the market for a 07 cobra, as long as my finantial situation allows for it that is.

Last edited by loki993; 08-29-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:48 PM

Jason, you made my point better than I did.

The Mustang was going to sell....regardless.

It would have sold even if it were not retro. It would have sold even had it not grown in mass. Hell, the old one sold as many in it's final year...when it was old, tired and people knew a new car was coming, as the 4th gen Camaro/Firebird (combined) did in it's best year. No one was saying that Camaro should become a carbon copy of Mustang then.

But I guess some here and some at GM are saying it now. Deviate slightly and you are a heretic. Go one inch smaller than Mustang....and you're told people don't want it smaller and it won't sell, (for some mysterious and unspecified reason). Want it abit more sophisticated than Mustang and you're told people don't want it more sophisticated and it won't sell, (for some mysterious and unspecified reason), question Mustang's retro design...and you'll get something else. Don't drink the Kool Aide - and you're a trouble maker and will ruin this site. Please.....
And to make matters worse, if you do in fact have a dissenting view on any of this, you supposedly don't have Camaro's best interests at heart.

Someone want to explain to me what's going on at this internet discussion forum?

I agree on all points.

Your first paragraph refers to the "Mustang Factor". It doesn't matter what Ford puts up, if it is called Mustang, it will sell and sell well. So the new Mustang is selling and suddenly we have to have a Mustang clone in order to be viable in the marketplace. That's BS.

"And to make matters worse, if you do in fact have a dissenting view on any of this, you supposedly don't have Camaro's best interests at heart."

Yes, and I don't agree with this mentality either.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:18 PM

If they come out with a Camaro, cool. If one comes out and its not to your likings, BUY SOMETHING ELSE. People on this site may say otherwise but truthfully the Camaro is just a name, you guys need to stop complaining about the details. If the 5th gen does happen I hope it wont be anything like the previous generations unless its the 1st gen. In my opinion the 2nd gens were ugly, 3rd gens looked good but has performance problems and the interiors were junk, the 4th gens look a little bland and had quality problems also. Im just saying its not going to be able to satisfy everyone and it will probably be too expensive for half of us to afford.

Last edited by Yossarian14; 08-29-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:29 PM

I agree. Pretty pathetic of someone to questions someone else enthusism for the Camaro just because they differ in opinion.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by loki993
i dont agree with that. if the do that what will get is a 4 door fwd semi sporty but very econimical sedan or possibly crossover stationwagon looking thing with a base 130hp four and optional 230hp v6. the things the genral public dosnt like about pony cars are, 2 doors, rwd, little room inside, small trunk. take a look around while out driving, the general public wants 4 doors, economy and room. oh and suvs, in any shape and size. i personally dont want a z28 with a v6 and fwd with 4 doors do you?
Ok. Since when would Mustang owners want their Mustangs to be a 4 door, fwd sedan or wagon? I don't know...er...wait, yes I do...there are many things that the 3rd and 4th gen owners didn't like about their cars. Chevy must take those items from both cars into consideration. Now, about the general public. Those are the people who would consider a ponycar type car but for some reason they would either buy a Mustang or some other sporty car. Take those suggestions and consider them. If you can impliment some of the suggestions and keep it the Camaro within it segment (pony car) and not turnoff more customers in the process, it will only help the car.

also the whole irs thing, i personally dont want irs, too expensive, do you really want to pay high 20s and 35+ for base and top end camaros respectivly? i dont. the 03 cobral had irs and coincedentially the 07 cobra does not. why because the performance gain is not worth the extra cost. if you want irs get a gto or a vette. dont say the gtos too expensive because if the new camaro has irs it will cost just as much.
Two reasons I believe IRS is a good choice for the next Camaro.

First. It can give the Camaro a marketing edge over the Mustang. Most enthusiasts can tell the difference between IRS and a SLA. The average consumer has no clue but, their perception is that it is a far superior and Chevy needs to use this perception. Have you seen the Honda Ridgeline commercials? Yep, it talks a lot about its' 4 wheel IRS.

Second. What other RWD car does Chevy or GM for that matter that uses a SLA? None I could think of. Sigma, Kappa, Y-car, VZ and VE are all IRS. Camaro is going to be a parts bin car so, unless they are going to use a trunk axle, it will be a IRS and it shows consistancy with-in the corp. Both will help.

also i dont think the new mustang would be selling as well if it was not retro. it took the styling cues of the best looking mustangs ever and modernized them which along with the lack of any real competition in its class is making people who would have not otherwise taken a second look at the mustang, think about buying one, all without loosing the other poeple who love mustangs. i for one, being a hardcore dodge and chevy guy have toyed with the idea from time to time and if dodge or chevy dosnt at least show me some to look foward to ill probally be in the market for a 07 cobra, as long as my finantial situation allows for it that is.
Ford will probably get an extra 40 to 50 thousand units from that. I guess it paid off.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:08 PM

Ok. Since when would Mustang owners want their Mustangs to be a 4 door, fwd sedan or wagon? I don't know...er...wait, yes I do...there are many things that the 3rd and 4th gen owners didn't like about their cars. Chevy must take those items from both cars into consideration. Now, about the general public. Those are the people who would consider a ponycar type car but for some reason they would either buy a Mustang or some other sporty car. Take those suggestions and consider them. If you can impliment some of the suggestions and keep it the Camaro within it segment (pony car) and not turnoff more customers in the process, it will only help the car.
i agree with this, but at first you said, at least its what thought you said maybe i misunderstood, take what the gereral public dosnt like about pony cars and do that. the things i mentioned were things they dont like anout pony cars.

First. It can give the Camaro a marketing edge over the Mustang. Most enthusiasts can tell the difference between IRS and a SLA. The average consumer has no clue but, their perception is that it is a far superior and Chevy needs to use this perception. Have you seen the Honda Ridgeline commercials? Yep, it talks a lot about its' 4 wheel IRS.
i still dont agree with the irs, yes youre right it could give the camaro a marketing edge, but it would also give it about a $5000 higher price tag making a car thats competing with a 26K mustang gt around 31K, thats a big number to swallow for a lot of people. i like the sla because i like to drag race, its better for that purpose, but thats not the issue at hand. if they can do it and keep it cheap fine but i dont think its possible.

Second. What other RWD car does Chevy or GM for that matter that uses a SLA? None I could think of. Sigma, Kappa, Y-car, VZ and VE are all IRS. Camaro is going to be a parts bin car so, unless they are going to use a trunk axle, it will be a IRS and it shows consistancy with-in the corp. Both will help
this on the other hand is a point i didnt think about, and truly it would be better to deal with trying to keep cost down with an existing platform, but sucking up the extra cost of the irs with multiple cars an the same platform than making a whole new one just so it can have a sla. but honestly its not that difficult to go back and forth or throw an sla of a platform the dosnt have one, they did it with the mustangs in 03, base gt, mach 1 had sla and the cobra had irs. still that said i dont want a truck axel under there. i still think theyll pass the extra cost on to us and end up pricing it our of reach for a lot of people. i remember this with a certain other vehicle, that has sold disturbingly well anyway. the ram srt-10, when shown as concept it was supposed to be priced "competivily with the lighting" which would have sugessted arould 35K or a bit more. that day at the autoshow was that last time it was ever uttered and what we got was a very fast v-10 truck that was around 45-50k, when they could have dont the exact thing, by putting a supercharged v-8 in the thing and it could have hit the 35K price point. it happens all to much in this day and age that things get over complicated and pricy and we are the ones who suffer for it. pretty soon there wont be any affordable muscle type cars from anyone.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:17 PM

personally i like the retro looks. if they made a camaro the looked damn near like the 69 id be first in line, that might not be the most popular opinion here but thats how i feel, plus im afraid of what they might do it if they took an all new approach, because i feel like most of the designers out there now are on crack with things like the element, scions, ridgelines and dakotas and durangos running around out there. i know there not pony cars but this ugly phase cars are going through is beginning to effect different classes of cars also.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:22 PM

For the love of God.

No one is saying they want a Mustang clone, or that GM is building one.

The Mustang formula works.

The Camaro has always been a Mustang competitor.

Put two and two together.

You guys that want a smaller, sportier, IRS, AWD coupe should be getting an AWD version of the Cobalt SS. For the rest of us, give us the Camaro we want.

Sometimes I think there are some of you that just throw crap against the wall to see what sticks and gets folks' panties in a bunch.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
For the love of God.

No one is saying they want a Mustang clone, or that GM is building one.

The Mustang formula works.

The Camaro has always been a Mustang competitor.

Put two and two together.

You guys that want a smaller, sportier, IRS, AWD coupe should be getting an AWD version of the Cobalt SS. For the rest of us, give us the Camaro we want.

Sometimes I think there are some of you that just throw crap against the wall to see what sticks and gets folks' panties in a bunch.
I'd like to add, you are spot on with your last point!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:27 PM

For the rest of us, give us the Camaro we want.
Which is what?

Actually that thing you posted from Zazarine's book acouple of weeks ago hit the nail on the head, I think.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:29 PM

Which is what?
A pony car.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:30 PM

A pony car.
Yeah, post that thing if you get a chance, jg.

Quick Reply: Time for a reality check on the 5th gen