Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

They wanna kill the Taurus because it's a fleet car yet....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 11:30 AM

They wanna kill the Taurus because it's a fleet car yet....

http://www.fleet.ford.com/

What's New........

Ford Futura
Old 05-09-2003, 12:16 PM

What's your point????
The Taurus is old it is time for change (way past time)
Old 05-09-2003, 02:17 PM

Taurus is old, and overdue for a restyling, yet it's still a huge seller (fleet or not).

The Futura seems like it will be something to look at. Not from a high performance standpoint, but from a well designed, family car standpoint.

Did that article say Ford's expanded their interior design budget 3 fold?!
Old 05-09-2003, 02:33 PM

Re: They wanna kill the Taurus because it's a fleet car yet....

Originally posted by formula79
http://www.fleet.ford.com/

What's New........

Ford Futura
There's a website that doesn't like Mozilla

I think Ford's point is that over half (IIRC) of Taurus's sales are from fleet and they'd like to get that ratio down a bit. They don't want to totally stop selling to fleets because there's very good business reasons to sell this way: it evens out production and inventory, gives many people a chance to test the car out, etc. Even Honda and Toyota still sell to fleets, they're just not as dependent on them as the big three.

Last edited by R377; 05-09-2003 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by guess who
What's your point????
The Taurus is old it is time for change (way past time)
The current Taurus platform only dates back to 1996, and was updated in 2000. While that's ancient by Toyota/Honda standards, it isn't that much behind the GM competition. The new 2004 Grand Prix is based on a 1997-vintage W-body platform. So what?

In anycase, Ford has finally decided on a reasonable course of platform sharing and established model segment competion. The Taurus was Ford's sole competitor in the V6-sedan market. Considering that this one car had to go up against everything from the Malibu to the LeSabre, it was time for some more variation in the Ford line-up.

At this stage, the Futura looks like a decent product concept, and I hope Ford does well with it. Realistically, no current Ford car is viable without fleet sales, not even the current Mustang. However, there's no reason why the Futura won't be decently represented in the retail market.

I'd say that William Clay Ford might just be turning around his "family company." I hope so, because I think he is HOT!!
Old 05-09-2003, 05:50 PM

I like how people on this board speak as if Ford is the only company that has fleet sales.GM has a freighter full of companies that buy from them for their fleet purposes.Which consists of Grand Prix's Grand AM's Cavalier/sunfire's not to mention trucks so plz,End that hogwash soon.It is getting old.Fast.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:21 PM

define *killed off*

GM killed off the camaro becuase there is no more chevy pony car... ford simply decided not to call the next generation taurus a a "taurus"
Old 05-10-2003, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by l_bilyk
define *killed off*

GM killed off the camaro becuase there is no more chevy pony car... ford simply decided not to call the next generation taurus a a "taurus"
It isnt getting "killed off" Its just getting a name change
Old 05-10-2003, 01:06 AM

Re: Re: They wanna kill the Taurus because it's a fleet car yet....

Originally posted by R377
There's a website that doesn't like Mozilla

I think Ford's point is that over half (IIRC) of Taurus's sales are from fleet and they'd like to get that ratio down a bit. They don't want to totally stop selling to fleets because there's very good business reasons to sell this way: it evens out production and inventory, gives many people a chance to test the car out, etc. Even Honda and Toyota still sell to fleets, they're just not as dependent on them as the big three.
Crapus Maximus, I wish companies would hire more proficient developers than grade 11 high school students. Will they learn to develop not just for IE, but also for Netscape 7.x + (which is Mozilla)?

Completely OFF-TOPIC , but what the heck. This still counts as a post, and that's why I'm here.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:01 PM

Looks like the Five Hundred will be the next Taurus and the Futura will be the next Contour.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: They wanna kill the Taurus because it's a fleet car yet....

Originally posted by muckz
Crapus Maximus, I wish companies would hire more proficient developers than grade 11 high school students. Will they learn to develop not just for IE, but also for Netscape 7.x + (which is Mozilla)?

Completely OFF-TOPIC , but what the heck. This still counts as a post, and that's why I'm here.
95% of people out there use IE, the other 5% are just being difficult. Netscape is a pain to code for and not woth it IMO.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
Looks like the Five Hundred will be the next Taurus and the Futura will be the next Contour.
I was told it would be more like

Futura=Camry

Five-Hundred = Avalon
Old 05-12-2003, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
With all of the input I have,I had never thought of that yet,But the 500 is supposed to be Ford's "flagship" vehicle.So with what you said makes good sense.
The Taurus could be called Fords flagship....It is a pretty nice car even though it is out dated.