Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Test Drove an Equinox...some very interesting thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 12:18 PM

Test Drove an Equinox...some very interesting thoughts

After peering through the windows at the interiors of several Equinoxs for the last few months, I finally decided to take a drive in one. My personal plan is to run the Grand Prix in the ground (as evidenced by my signiature ) as an eventual winter car when the 5th gen debuts, and of course never part with the Z. But the girlfriend needs a new car, so the quest has begun...

I drove a base FWD LS model with no options. Despite the $21,560 MSRP, it was very well equipped...PW, PL and P-mirr, CD etc. All that I would really care for otherwise would be ABS (something I never thought was worth a damn until a horrific snowstorm 2 years ago where it saved me big time), a moonroof (which stupidly means stepping up to an AWD LS or a base LT!!) and a 6 disc. And for $300, body color bumpers would be worth it to I guess...

Anyway, I have to say...what a vehicle. Tight, solid, smooth, quiet...amazing. And the interior is everything C&D said about it. There are only 2 faults I can find with the entire car. First, I had a feeling the 3400 was a little inadequate and in my opinion, it is. The 1-2 shift commonly took place around 3,500...a little high for me. Typically every FWD V6 car I have owned shifts by 3k and supplies more than enough oomph. Second, I think the steering is great for the target market but far from satisfying for an "enthusiast," of which comprise maybe 1.5% of Equinox sales anyways. Its light and responsive, but gives the steering feel of my buddy's '82 Impala...minus the slop from 187k miles of use. But for the target market? More than adequate.

Positives include a gorgeous interior, incredibly quiet 3400 (which sounded like a buzzsaw in my '02 Grand Am GT...how'd they do that??? ), smooth 5 speed auto (Chevy needs Aisin to make a good 5 speed?? Grrrr...), perfect seating position and ride quality. Give it a 3500 I'd say, and call it a day. Give it a 3900 in the proposed SS package, and keep the price right, and even the enthusiasts will

But for $21,560, aka approximately $10,000 behind the average car transaction these days (I think...), this thing is a steal. With $1,200 in GM Card points, $1,000 for financing through GMAC and with the dealer going $199 under invoice, I can drive it home for $17,595

A solid, solid deal on a great little car. Its the first car-type SUV I have driven that I can actually picture myself in...and I have driven everything from Rav4s to VUEs to Vibes to Highlanders. Anyone looking for this type of vehicle has to test drive one...they're fantastic.

But its an absolute slap in the face this new Chevy has 55% domestic content due primarily to a Japanese tranny and a CHINESE engine Great car, just wish it was more American than barely 50/50...
Old 08-26-2004, 12:22 PM

Re: Test Drove an Equinox...some very interesting thoughts

The 3400 is a Chinese engine?!

My g/f and I test drove one about a month ago, and I agree, its an absolute steal at that price when you compare it to a lot of other SUVs. We also test drove a Murano and a Suzuki SUV (forget the name) and while we were most impressed with the Muranos content, quality of materials, and the overall cabin, we were even more impressed with the Equinox's price per content factor. We didn't get to drive the AWD like I wanted, but even the FWD is pretty amazing for what it is.

Last edited by Meccadeth; 08-26-2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:32 PM

I'm still biased on the looks, the headlights look to big for the car.

But glad to hear you really like it .

BTW...shouldn't this be in the lounge insted og the 5th gen forum since the car is already out?
Old 08-26-2004, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Meccadeth
The 3400 is a Chinese engine?
Yup the 3400 is imported from China. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive the reason is because US 3400 production is winding down, 2005 Impala and 2005 Grand Am are the last two cars to use the engine. '06 Impala gets new engines. 2005 is also the last year for the Aztec and the current line-up of vans is being replaced this year too.

Also is there a GM trade deal with china?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:13 PM

The 3400 isn't, in general, a "Chinese engine". But the one in the equinox is, in fact, manufactured there.

The reasons for this are unknown to me; the reasons above sound perfectly, um, *typing slowly* reasonable to me.

Allow myself to introduce...*pause*...myself.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:52 PM

I did look at the Nox before I got the Maxx, but wanted something with a lot of space, but in a much smaller package(aka a car). Also, the 3.5 offers a bit more punch then the 3.4 in the Nox. So if you are looking for the space and flexablity of an SUV, but something more car-sized, then ride in the Maxx.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
The 3400 isn't, in general, a "Chinese engine". But the one in the equinox is, in fact, manufactured there.

The reasons for this are unknown to me; the reasons above sound perfectly, um, *typing slowly* reasonable to me.

Allow myself to introduce...*pause*...myself.

I believe the main reason is that they tooled up for the 3400 in China for the Chinese Buicks, so it's in full production there while being phased out here - so they import it from China.