Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Spotted near Chicago: Chevy Lumina SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 07:35 PM

Spotted near Chicago: Chevy Lumina SS

Hey guys. Very sorry I didn't have access to my friend's digital camera to snap some pictures. We took a trip to Chicago this weekend and on Friday, I noticed a very Holden-esque vehicle ahead in the stopped traffic near the Chicago Skyway. As we got closer in the lane next to it, I saw Michigan manufacturer's plates, and "Lumina" with the new "SS" logo. This car had a black bumper piece in the back and single exhaust on the driver side. The badge on the side was silver with "5.7 High Output" on it. I can't find exact pictures of it on the net so I'm not sure if it is brand new or the older model. Pretty cool.

So why are these things running around? It was an older gentleman with his wife, looked like they drove it on vacation for the weekend or something. Is Chevy still studying the possibility of offering these here too?
Old 05-25-2003, 09:42 PM

That car was imported, they sell them in the middle east. There is a Holden version sold in Austrailia. Its basically a Catera with a LS1 dropped in it.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...h/index2.phtml

I did a quick search and found that article which has little information on the car.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:04 PM

They won't sell them in the U.S because they don't want it to beat their precious Corvette.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:54 PM

That car was imported, they sell them in the middle east. There is a Holden version sold in Austrailia. Its basically a Catera with a LS1 dropped in it.

Not quite, different size to Catera, different drive train... Also the cars are imported from Aus to the Middle East..
Old 05-25-2003, 10:58 PM

from popular mechanics
We want these cars to be sold in America. We hope you do, too, which is why we're starting a petition campaign to make it happen. If you want versions of the Caprice, the Lumina and the Ute to be sold in the United States, e-mail us at popularmechanics@hearst.com and write "Chevy overseas" on the Subject line. All e-mail received will be forwarded to the powers that be at Chevrolet. We promise.
Woohoo, a car mag on our side
Old 05-26-2003, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by Schismblade
They won't sell them in the U.S because they don't want it to beat their precious Corvette.
Not sure you understand that with a Corvette weighing in at 3200 pounds, you can pretty much put the engine in anything bigher than a Cavalier without worrying too much (Cadillac's CTSv has a LS6 for chrissake).
Old 05-26-2003, 01:25 AM

Without jumping the gun on anything, there is a very very good reason why there is a Holden Lumina running around (in this instance), and it doesn't have to do with the middle east.

You'll probally see at least a couple other Holden based vehicles rolling around in the not too distant future.

Last edited by guionM; 05-26-2003 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:32 AM

UTE UTE UTE UTE UTE
Old 05-26-2003, 04:32 AM

The Lumina SS is an Holden Monaro that is rebadged as a Chev as sold in the Middle East, the same as the Holden Commodore is rebadged as the Chevrolet Lumina.

The Pontiac GTO is based on the Monaro, therefore they are importing the to the US.

As AnthonyHSV said, it has nothing to do with the Catera.

As for other Holden imports to the US, the Ute is probably the next chance, rebadged as Chev El Camino.

You can find a mock-up of a EL Camino here:
http://hrt433.tripod.com/other/elcamino.htm
Old 05-26-2003, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by hrt433
The Lumina SS is an Holden Monaro that is rebadged as a Chev as sold in the Middle East, the same as the Holden Commodore is rebadged as the Chevrolet Lumina.

The Pontiac GTO is based on the Monaro, therefore they are importing the to the US.

As AnthonyHSV said, it has nothing to do with the Catera.

As for other Holden imports to the US, the Ute is probably the next chance, rebadged as Chev El Camino.

You can find a mock-up of a EL Camino here:
http://hrt433.tripod.com/other/elcamino.htm
Is there solid news on this or is it just hear-say?
Old 05-26-2003, 08:53 AM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by danno02SS
UTE UTE UTE UTE UTE
UTE UTE UTE UTE UTE!!
Old 06-01-2003, 10:27 PM

You'll probally see at least a couple other Holden based vehicles rolling around in the not too distant future.

Could you be a bit more specific??
Old 06-01-2003, 10:32 PM

Yeah, whats up here?? Why would GM be cruisin around in a Holden?
Old 06-02-2003, 08:29 AM

You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

I'll explain more after the start of July, but let it suffice to say there's good reasons for these Holden sightings.

BTW hrt433, I think you mean the middle east Chevy Luminas are rebadged Commodores, not Monaros.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:04 AM

Settlemire seemed to say at G7 that the Ute was not likely coming over. His primary reasoning is that replacing several high volume marks with lots of low volume niche vehicles has a lot of negative impacts on organization, not the least of which is working your engineers to death because regardless of how many you make the engineering time is the same for each model.

Yet, most of the difficult stuff is already done with the Ute. But the fact remains Holden would need some serious capacity building to bring any more cars over here. As I understand it, 18K GTO's per year is already a big stretch for them.

Quick Reply: Spotted near Chicago: Chevy Lumina SS