Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Something that they have to change about the f4 if they make an f5

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 01:02 AM

Post Something that they have to change about the f4 if they make an f5

If you get what the title says, i mean they should shorten the doors a hell of a lot. I hate how long our doors are, it makes it so hard to get out of things. I would rather have a suicide door type thing than one extra long door.

------------------
"Let the second era of muscle car wars begin!"
www.gerbilz28.cjb.net
1995.5 3.8L V6 red Camaro with a nice *** sound system.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:07 AM
cmc

F4's dead -- no changes are going to be made. Totally agree about the doors, though. They're the longest (and probably heaviest) of any regular production car built today. I've installed one on an F3 (same size doors, but all steel).

Suicide doors, IMO, would just kill the F5.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:37 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a small, 1/3rd sized suicide door behind each big door, a la Saturn coupe. It would allow us easier ingress/egress from the front seats w/o such a huge door, but rear seat access, when needed, would be best in class.

But, it ads new cost and complexity. It might be a way to bring some 21st century practicality to the Pony car segment.

------------------
Owner, Nashville Speed & Performance

1996 Trans Am WS6
Old 08-13-2002, 09:49 AM

Well, a 2+2 coupe is going to have big doors unless you make the occupants sit more upright than the F4 does.

And then it ends up looking more like a Mustang.

The real answer may be to make the doors lighter and keep them the same length - but there isn't much you can do due to the side impact requirements.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:57 AM

I say "no" to suicide-type rear doors, because the body lines they produce are hideous, IMO....
Old 08-13-2002, 12:41 PM
cmc

Don't forget all the "Extended Cab Camaro" jokes I'll be hurling at owners if they do.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:25 PM

We covered the suicide door topic recently in another thread.
A real sports car should NOT have these.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:47 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HuJass:
We covered the suicide door topic recently in another thread.
A real sports car should NOT have these.
</font>
agreed, i actually don't see anything wrong with the doors, just to make them a little lighter but to me they're fine
Old 08-14-2002, 03:09 PM

Most of you have apparently been licking up too much Saturn-inspired marketing spittle.

Hu is right. Sports cars do NOT have four doors--no matter the size.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:13 PM

How can people even suggest something like that?! Doh.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:35 PM

It's suggested because the RX-8 is pulling it off and being sexy to boot.

But yeah, the weight of the doors isn't the problem, it's the size. They swing out so far, I have to like press my back against the car trying to scoot out when I park, so my door doesn't hit the car next to me.

But yeah, if they added doors to the Camaro most "I'll die before I change anything, bring back the IROC man!" guys would **** themselves.

Shorter doors would be nice.

------------------
Jason

<A HREF="http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/munche" TARGET=_blank>1997 A4 Z28 "Mongoose"
</A>

<A HREF="http://www.iz-us.com/images/cars/cougar/" TARGET=_blank>New Project: 1969 Mercury Cougar 351W
</A>
Old 08-15-2002, 02:56 PM

I would like to see the next Camaro have better drainage. By that, I mean that I'm tired of washing it and having all kinds of dirty water run down the back and on to the bumper. There has to be a way around that.

As for the doors, I can live with the way they are now, but I sure wouldn't object to a lighter, shorter door.

Jeff

------------------
1996 Black Z28 M6; Stock.
1994 S10 4X4.

My Zed
Old 08-15-2002, 03:04 PM

If they only would bring back the IROC-Z or an IROC-Z looking car. Sales would definetly follow.

------------------
Camaro/Chevrolet crazy F-Body lunatic.

[This message has been edited by IZ28 (edited August 15, 2002).]
Old 08-15-2002, 03:04 PM

i love the long doors.. I don't think they are heavy...

Sure, they aren't pratical.. Every morning and night I do a contortionist routine to get in and out of the car in my single garage without banging the door against the wall.. but thats the price to pay if you want long doors!

How about the almost horizontal windshield? I love that look too.. Sure it approaches your head at a wierd angle and u end up with a huge dashboard .. but there's no real way around it....

then there's the hood.. sure its a bit disconscerning not able to see the end of it..

and how pratical is a 300+ hp RWD V8 car to begin with?

Thats one of the reason why the 4th gen Camaro stopped selling well.. They refused to comprimise the design and make it more "practical".. IMHO, that was a great thing.. unfortuanntly, it doesn't appeal to the masses..

I'm sure if they do make a new Camaro it would be alot more pratical in design, probably alot more comfortable, and better built.. It would probably be a great car.. But it won't replace my 4th gen. I think its one of the better cars GM put out.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:09 PM

Actually, I was quite pleased by how much LIGHTER my 4th gens' doors were compared to my 92. For those who haven't ridden in a 3rd gen in a while..their doors are noticibly heavier and require greater effort to close.

As far as the long doors go, we know it is for rear seat access, but there are 2 ways to approach this. One, you could just have big doors to allow access, or Two, you could get the front seat out of the way to allow the same access from a smaller door. Many 2 doors that I have ridden in (my mom's Lincoln Mark 8 I'm talking about specifically) have front seats that will scoot themselves forward when you tilt the seat forward, all the way to the stops, making rear seat entry much easier (albiet the doors on the Mark 8 are about the size of the 4th gen). I've seen manual seats have this function too. Obviously we can do that w/ the 4th gens seats, but they don't come back to thier starting positions, we have to adjust it manually when we sit down. I would think that if you could move the seat up 6 inches, then you could theoretically shorten the doors by six inches too, and not loose any access. Also, a hinge design that would pivot the door more inside the body would help w/ the "wingspan" when the doors are open, making it easier to open the doors wide enough to get in and out of w/out being a gymnast.

CLEAN

[This message has been edited by CLEAN (edited August 15, 2002).]

Quick Reply: Something that they have to change about the f4 if they make an f5