Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: Read my post before you vote:
I’m Jumping ship period, I’m sick of this.
15.89%
I’m jumping ship until I hear something definite but until then I see no point in waiting around.
31.78%
I’m keeping the faith just because I still believe GM will prove itself in the end
42.99%
I’m Keeping the faith because I know something more than you.
9.35%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

So What Does Everyone Think of the Current Situation Around Here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:01 PM

Re: So What Does Everyone Think of the Current Situation Around Here?

you guys are a little itchy on this subject aren't yall.
red is gone but it doesn't matter from both of our perspectives (his and ours)

red was never about to give us any info on a future camaro. he hinted at a few things a couple of times but the people that picked up on it didn't really talk about it.
to make a short story even shorter, we are getting a very fast, very good looking v-8 rwd coupe. thats what we know for sure.

its best that he leaved cause one, we were always trying to coerce him into giving out info. he never did, but if someone posted something on the net and it was drawn back to him in anyway, he would lost his job.
Red's gone and its for the better. for the last few weeks all this section has been about it complaining, but no one has still being researching the 5th gen issue.

get back on track
Old 12-06-2004, 08:40 PM

We are all still suffering the wrath of Ron Zarella. That is what has happened. He and the mangament when he was president sent the car line off the deep end. Discontinued the Fbody. Oldsmobile is gone. Saturn got a turds called the Ion and L series. Chevy gets stuck with the ugly Malibu and Impala. Buick lost its only stylish car when the Riveria got the axe. And GM continues to lose market share.

With Bob Lutz at the helm, I think GM will turn a corner. But GM works so slowly, it will take a while. If things are looking about the same in two or three years, I don't think GM will ever change and give us any type of car that dominates the market.

I think the reason GM can't make a world beating product is the fact that when they design a new midsize sedan, there has to be a Chevy version, a Pontiac, a Saturn, a Buick, and a Saab version. So when Toyota builds us a new Camry, they make 1 car and gobble up market share. When GM does it, they make several cars that take up market share, but can't make them better than Toyota because the resources have to be spread to make 5 different cars.

Last edited by AronZ28; 12-06-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:09 PM

There is no real point in keeping faith in GM, unless you are really a diehard GM fan. You can walk on over to your local Ford dealer and buy a great V8 RWD pony-car that is brand new. There is no need to keep faith in some sort of elusive image of the 2nd coming of the Camaro. You don't need to have faith in Ford, because they already have a product that you can see, touch, and drive.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Burmite
Hell, Z284Ever, you're one of the most prominent members on this forum and you yourself got completely hyped up and hopeful for the "go" status of the Torana based on a random guy's comment he thinks he heard from someone Torana might possibly be a go supposedly. We're all desperate here, and I'm tired of it.
Sorry 'bout that.

But I find myself completely focused on what might or might not happen with Torana...that's the only hope that I can see for Camaro in the foreseeable future.

I know enough about Zeta to know that I'm not very excited about it.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pentatonic
There is no real point in keeping faith in GM, unless you are really a diehard GM fan. You can walk on over to your local Ford dealer and buy a great V8 RWD pony-car that is brand new. There is no need to keep faith in some sort of elusive image of the 2nd coming of the Camaro. You don't need to have faith in Ford, because they already have a product that you can see, touch, and drive.
Being a diehard GM fan or not does not have as much to do with it as simply having a fondness for Camaro and feeling that it would be a shame for such a car/name to die.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Burmite
Time passed some more and there was much hype about Kappa.
Kappa would cost too much to make a Camaro and the business case for Kappa had no intentions to include Camaro.
Which is beyond me why it would cost too much, considering the Kappa Solstice is supposed to be priced at a "whopping" $20,000.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:54 PM

Pentatonic, Burmite and Chris 96 WS6 have sumed up my thoughts exactly.

I'll prob end up with a slightly used Mustang out of college after selling the GTP and stick a '95 Z28 in the garage to play with. I'll daily drive the Mustang and take my Z to shows and races on the weekends. I'll prob look at trucks from then on out and prob buy Fords. But thats more of a family thing both my dad and grandfather both have F250s.

I see no point in having faith in a new Camaro.

So when does the 4th gen become a classic so we can start calling this site a classic car site?
Old 12-06-2004, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by muckz
Which is beyond me why it would cost too much, considering the Kappa Solstice is supposed to be priced at a "whopping" $20,000.
I might be wrong but wasent there somehting about having to modify kappa to hold a V8?
Old 12-06-2004, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tanker Don
The current situation? The current situation is based solely on conjecture and speculation. Conclusions therefore are born of emotion and not fact. When one considers whether or not to “Keep the Faith,” one must examine the object of such faith. In this case, there are none more reliable and upstanding in our community than Red Planet. If Red says, “Keep the Faith,” I for one, will. Giving up now is woefully premature.
Exactly.

I can't say what goes on through Red's head, but honestly, I am getting a little exhausted of reading these "we want Camaro news" type of threads, or else "we get no Camaro". As much as Red can't reveal any info, hinting "keep the faith" is all he can do - only to come back the next day and discover ten other threads of "why there is no Camaro coming". He**, I'd be pissed and take my leave much earlier.

So much of this talk about Camaro has to do with speculation and various information that *some* received. I should also point out that some members received *additional* information about the Camaro project that they simply can't post anything about. So while we are getting one side of "camaro won't be back" we can't get the other side "yes, it will be".

And this forum is growing to be what bloodthirsty Romans became with gladiator entertainment. Either show us blood and death, or we won't be satisfied.

You're looking for a RWD, V8 sports coupe. Chevy doesn't have one. It didn't have one beginning in 2003. The trend continues. It won't have one until 2007/2008. Hence, use common sense and acknowledge that Chevy is NOT your dealer to go to and shop for V8 RWD coupe. There are plenty of other alternatives. And that is, IF you are in the market for buying a vehicle. If you're not, just please, keep it quiet and find another hobby.

For one reason or another (or more than one perhaps), Camaro was killed, its future could not be talked about, and we don't have all the answers. Some time later we will find out a lot more. You can't wait? Instant gratification is cool, I agree, but get real.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by stars1010
I might be wrong but wasent there somehting about having to modify kappa to hold a V8?
Probably, I mean, Kappa is designed for I4 fitment, so it would have to be adapted. But those are R&D costs. They will be incurred whether the car is based on Zeta, Beta, or whatever have you. I doubt the actual production version of Kappa-based Camaro chassis would be significantly more.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:00 AM

Yeah but muckz you cant argue that things around here over the past 6 months or so have looked bleaker and bleaker when it comes to a Camaro returning similar to its roots.

Last edited by stars1010; 12-07-2004 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by muckz
Probably, I mean, Kappa is designed for I4 fitment, so it would have to be adapted. But those are R&D costs. They will be incurred whether the car is based on Zeta, Beta, or whatever have you. I doubt the actual production version of Kappa-based Camaro chassis would be significantly more.
hmm interesting, too bad we cant more info on this topic
Old 12-07-2004, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Sorry 'bout that.

But I find myself completely focused on what might or might not happen with Torana...that's the only hope that I can see for Camaro in the foreseeable future.

I know enough about Zeta to know that I'm not very excited about it.
Oh there's nothing to be sorry about with that at all. Right when I wake up at 6am every morning, I'm here checking the threads hoping for a huge news break. We're all craving something huge here and we're not seeing it and the evidence right now doesn't show the huge new story to come for a long time now. Your hope with the Torana is shared by me, Stars, and the rest of the 5th gen family. I personally hope that the Torana will come to market by 2008 with a Camaro built off of it that can live up to it's name.

We're all hoping here, just with some have more faith in that hope than others now.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:44 AM

I think eventually, yes there will be a Camaro. I'm sure some will love it, others will hate it (see GTO) I've loved Camaros for a long time and have owned 2 of them. At this point in my life, I'm not in the market for a Camaro-like car, so my wanting a Camaro to come back is not as important as others. I wish GM had never discontiued the car. Not because I'd own one, but because I just like seeing them on the streets. They are/were hot cars. Even when I didn't own one, I loved them.

If by the time I am back in the market for such a car, and a Camaro isn't available, I will probably buy a 5 yr old or so Corvette. I'm not really a Corvette kinda guy, but I am a Chevy guy, so that's what I'll get. Of course, with a used car purchase, I won't be helping Chevy or GM one bit. Maybe there is some irony in that.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:34 AM

I just dont get excited at the slightest news anymore. Chances are it'll be different in two months, so while I hope a new Camaro happens in 2k7,8,9... Im not holding my breath.

However, I firmly believe that if/when we do get a new Camaro, I will absolutely love it. All of GM's performance cars: Cobalt SS, C6, CTSv, GTO, XLR get my heart pumping so I dont see why this would be an exception.

Quick Reply: So What Does Everyone Think of the Current Situation Around Here?