Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

So, GM, Dodge allowed spy pics of Challenger, sooooo.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:12 PM

Re: So, GM, Dodge allowed spy pics of Challenger, sooooo.....

Your saying that GM is gonna release embargoed pics before the debut? I don't think so.
Originally Posted by Josh452
Ehhhh not trying to argue or cause a stir but from what I recall he was never found. At least not his real identity. I could be wrong.

At anyrate, I just want January to get here.
I don't know about the SUV pics, but the z06 guy is still unknown.

Last edited by number77; 11-22-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by number77
Your saying that GM is gonna release embargoed pics before the debut? I don't think so.
no, they won't be released, but they're out there. People on this site have seen them (not including myself), and I'm not just talking about Scott.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
no, they won't be released, but they're out there. People on this site have seen them (not including myself), and I'm not just talking about Scott.
Now that really tics me off...If they are really out there, they will be released before the the show. I'm gonna have to start pushing my source.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by number77
Now that really tics me off...If they are really out there, they will be released before the the show. I'm gonna have to start pushing my source.
not gonna happen, they are embargoed and GM doesn't mess around anymore.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
not gonna happen, they are embargoed and GM doesn't mess around anymore.
Which is why things are better left unsaid as to not cause an uproar when one is not necessary.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:24 PM

I just want a fraggin peek. Really.

and hey Guy- What SN95 pics? Got em?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:25 AM

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103629

I found this...old?? I was looking at GM stuff...but, WOW!...
Old 11-23-2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by NikiVee
Why would there be spy shots? Chrysler employee's just got sloppy. Was there any spy pics of the Solstice before it was shown to the world?
Didn't need to. The car was a design exercise when it was unveiled. Afterwards, for the next 3 years it seemed some magazine was running a story of Solstice's development every few months, with spy pics over half that time .

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Keep your marketing hat on here. What advantage does Dodge get now, by getting this buzz, before people can get a hold of high-rez pics and actually walk up to a (roped-off) car? People going to buy one today? People going to hold off from buying the non-available Camaro? People going to hold off from buying a new GTO? (It's readily apparent, the cars are/will be in widely different price classes, unless there is a limpy RT version with the weaker Hemi put out too, and even then it will be at a performance/features/and likely interior room disadvantage to the GTO, not to mention the GTO will be out of production by the time DCX can put a new Challenger into dealers). So I don't see the big advantage for Dodge.
Only us hard core car enthisasts get our news from the internet. The volume of the public get theirs from magazines. These pictures will never be in magazines because by the time it can be rushed to print, the cars would have been unveiled. Right about now, the press should be getting pictures of the Challenger & Camaro under embargo so the cars can be shown in "February's" car rags.

From a marketing standpoint, early "leaked" pictures DO happen.

Again, the advantage? The small minute core of car enthusiasts se it, start talking about it, and they pre-empt Camaro. Remember, it's been no secret for months that Camaro would be at this show.

Dodge also has released "drawings" of the car.

Coincidence?

Nope.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by pickardracing
I just want a fraggin peek. Really.

and hey Guy- What SN95 pics? Got em?
I'd have to look them up.

Back around 92 there was a series picture of the '94 Mustang clay model on a back of a trailer being hauled away. The paint covering was stripped off of it, there were some chips off the body, and the whole thing was completely uncovered... on city streets.

"Someone" at Ford let a certain spy photographer know that they were going to be moving this model at a certain time, and they might want to be there. This someone wasn't a low level person.

The pictures were in Popular Mechanics if I remember, but it was also in Road & Track magazine. I have the issue in storage. It has a drawing of the 4th gen Camaro & the SN95 Mustang on the cover, and the story also included spy pictures (actual "spy" in this instance) of the GM-80, the FWD car that came within a whisker of becoming the 4th gen F-body.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
This was a staged photo op for a connected "spy" photographer, just like the Mustang concept was.
Im afraid that's not correct at all. Photos were taken by a guy who just happened to be walking by the area. The guy isnt even a spy photographer at all.

Originally Posted by guionM
Right about now, the press should be getting pictures of the Challenger & Camaro under embargo so the cars can be shown in "February's" car rags.
They've already got 'em actually. I know of at least one major mag who's Feb edition was already to print weeks ago. Tis the season for leaks....

Last edited by Chris_Doane; 11-23-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by CD/BP
Im afraid that's not correct at all. Photos were taken by a guy who just happened to be walking by the area. The guy isnt even a spy photographer at all.

They've already got 'em actually. I know of at least one major mag who's Feb edition was already to print weeks ago. Tis the season for leaks....
So you are telling me there are pictures of "The Concept" out to print already? We need to make some friends at the printing houses!
Old 11-23-2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by IREngineer
So you are telling me there are pictures of "The Concept" out to print already? We need to make some friends at the printing houses!
Yea I know of at least one magazine, and in reality probably all the major ones, that have had their editions with NAIAS press photos to the printer. The lead times for printing are just huge these days.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by CD/BP
Yea I know of at least one magazine, and in reality probably all the major ones, that have had their editions with NAIAS press photos to the printer. The lead times for printing are just huge these days.
So Chris (I always assumed this, is this Brenda?), what have you seen via your connections? Is a very popular drawing floating around as close as everyone thinks?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
It would be neat if they would show a teaser about a car being (re)introduced at the Show...like show some burn out, a few feet behind the car...some bumper-cam footage through a road course, and a rear view shot maybe pulling away from a Mustang or something...but never show a single piece of the car in the footage...Now THAT, would create a Buzz, and a strong showing at Detroit...
(GM listening?)
Can you imagine?! That would be the coolest (meanest) teaser of an ad EVER!

I think to really hit it home, show the "mystery car" racing NOT a Mustang, but a 4th-gen Camaro. Show it pulling away and leaving the LS1 in its dust!! THEN we'd know for sure the new car means business!!

I honestly DON'T want to see "spy pics" before the NAIAS . Although, I've always been one who hated ruined surprises before Christmas too ... I prefer unwrapping a gift and finding out what's inside, not seeing the shape and figuring out beforehand what's inside.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:58 PM

If Camaro pics are on the presses now, you can be sure some knucklehead will think he is cool to post it on the internet. I hope not, but it always seems to happen.

Quick Reply: So, GM, Dodge allowed spy pics of Challenger, sooooo.....