Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

So $4 is what it takes to get Americans to drive less

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
These numbers are skewed a bit.

March 2008 had the big giant ice storms/blizzards that covered much of the midwest and northeast for days or even longer that forced many people not to drive by no conscious effort of there own. In short: They were snowed in and couldn't drive their cars.
If that were true there would be large dips every year. This winter was mild for most of the country with most east coast cities seeing little to no snow in March.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 PM

If $4/gallon does that, imagine what $8/gallon does!

I'm sure there's some point where all unnecessary trips are eliminated, public transportation is maxed out, demand exceeds supply of bicycles, and freight containers are double-stacked on trucks nationwide.

Then what are we going to do? Hmm?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
How do they know how many miles we drive? I'm certainly not reporting my miles to anyone....
I always assumed the yearly inspection station took note. guess i was wrong
Old 05-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by indieaz
I was doing some math the other day and calculated that I use roughly 50% of the gasoline per year as I did in 2003. First of all I average about 4-5mpg better in my C5 than my LT1 cars did (23-25mpg versus 18-21mpg). And I drive roughly 8,000 miles per year (2008 estimate based on current driving habits) versus about 14,000 miles in 2002-2003.

Some of the thing I did to cut the miles driven:
-Work from home once per week (20% right there)
-Work out @ home (12 miles round trip to gym several days per week)
-Don't drive across town to hang out with friends @ coffee shop's, bars etc. (i do all my drinking @ home)
-Eat out less (save money on driving to restaurants AND buying food)

So while gasoline has more than doubled in price versus 2002/2003 I am acutally spending about the same per month. I wonder how many other people put 5-6k miles on their car each year that is completely unecessary?

The unfortunate downside is the local coffee shops and restaurants are gettnig less business from me.
So basically, you have become more isolationist and forfeited freedoms. this is exactly what I am striving NOT to do.

As for the price of gas... Had gas gone up gradually instead of through the roof in 4 months, the amount of driving and the amount of large cars being sold would still be steady. Americans will accept change and compensate for it, so long as it isn 't too drastic or fast.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
# gallons sold in US * average fuel economy = something close, and/ or surveys of a a statistically representative group.
So they're using the number of gallons sold to represent miles driven, in a situation where number of gallons sold would probably make for a better representation of the facts?

Old 05-31-2008, 05:38 AM

It's now cheaper for me to fly to Phoenix to my sister's and 2nd home and rent a car than drive there. Ditto Las Vegas, which I used to enjoy driving to once in a while.

I haven't made a trip to San Diego in over a year (used to simply to get out of town). I even ration trips down to Monterey, which I used to drive to almost on impulse.

I'm about to sell my last Thunderbird SC because it burns only premium. I'm seriously thinking about buying my sister's '97 V6 5 speed Camaro as a daily driver instead of my B4C.

Fuel here pretty much ranges from $3.99 to $4.30 per gallon for regular. There was a gas station that helped me set a personal record. $60 to fill up my tank.

I eat out less, drink tea at home & work instead of Starbucks Cafe Mocas.

That pretty much is the list of changes I've mde.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:18 AM

I get 19 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway in my Crown Victoria. If I had something like a Focus, I would get 25 mpg in the city and around 32 on the highway (based upon my experiences with small rental cars). That's not a big enough difference for me to give up the comfort and convenience of a big car especially since I only drive about 11,000 miles per year. Small cars would have to get about 40 mpg in the city and 50 mpg on the highway for me to change, but I am not really inclined to buy a Prius.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8:
I'm sure there's some point where all unnecessary trips are eliminated
What's sad is, those "unnecessary trips, fuel our economy further, people rely on them for a living.
I saw too, where the vacation season is in seroius jeopardy.
People are doing "stay-cations", staying home and some, camping out in the back yard. Hitting only those activities that are local, and cheap.
(I have to admit, outside of Indy, I'll be staying home for vacation as well this year.)
This will only add to our economic woes, once it's tallied up.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:02 AM

I've definately seen a change. I ride my bicycle more now along with my motorcycle. Other than that, carpooling has been something me and my friends now do more and more often.
It's amazing though how we've hit that tipping point. Not only do I see more bikes on the roads, but I saw on CNN some guy does a 42 mile trip on his bike each day.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:15 AM

I home office, so only drive about 6,000 miles per year (visiting clients, grocery store, etc.) but my wife has a 50-mile daily commute to her office. She drives an 06 Impala 3.9 that averages 26 mpg. I think at $4 per gallon, we calculated her cost to drive to work alone is $150 month. She just got a raise that will cover 2/3 of that (about $100 month net). Of course, that means she got no effective raise at all, since most of it is spent covering the higher cost of commuting to work. The Impala is paid for (and only has 30,000 miles on it), so it really makes no sense to trade for something that gets, say, 32 mpg, though I imagine her next car will be smaller and more fuel efficient. I have always made a concerted effort to consolidate trips to town (we live just outside of Oklahoma City, but only by about 1,000 feet). My 335i coupe averages 26 mpg on premium (just paid $4.01 per gallon on Wednesday, my personal record). Could be worse, I suppose, we could be standing in line "hoping" to buy $4 gas.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:17 AM

In my area, there's a record number of motorcycles and scooters on the road this summer, even some mopeds.
But if you figure the milage/person, it's not a great improvement.
We've been consolidating trips for a while now, and mowing less too.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by FUTURE_OF_GM
So basically, you have become more isolationist and forfeited freedoms. this is exactly what I am striving NOT to do.
I haven't forefeited any freedoms...I simply choose not to do those things that are unecessary.

When visiting my parents house now (about 20 mile round trip) I simply rid my bicycle instead. If I wanted to go across town for something I could, I choose not to. I have all the freedom I ever had, i'm just exercising it less. I guess there's just a limit to how much money I want to give oil companies and foreign nations
Old 05-31-2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Fuel here pretty much ranges from $3.99 to $4.30 per gallon for regular. There was a gas station that helped me set a personal record. $60 to fill up my tank.
A few days ago I broke my record for a fill up as well. Over $100 for a full tank
Old 05-31-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ehaase
I get 19 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway in my Crown Victoria. If I had something like a Focus, I would get 25 mpg in the city and around 32 on the highway (based upon my experiences with small rental cars). That's not a big enough difference for me to give up the comfort and convenience of a big car especially since I only drive about 11,000 miles per year.
I drive about 6,000 miles/year on my own dime, so the 23.5 MPG I get with my Grand Marquis (or, hell, the 12 MPG I get with the pickup) doesn't really bother me.

My wife, on the other hand, drives about 20,000 miles/year. Even at that, though, it still doesn't make sense to sell her Roadmaster (which is probably worth ~$2,000 at this point) and buy a smaller car. Swapping the RM out for something that gets 35 MPG would only save us $1350/year, so it'd take over two years to start seeing a positive return on a $5000 used Cavalier.

We'll most certainly buy her a smaller, more efficient car once the RM is on its last legs, but I'm not going to get overexcited about selling it before we've extracted every last mile.

Small cars would have to get about 40 mpg in the city and 50 mpg on the highway for me to change, but I am not really inclined to buy a Prius.
I'd buy a Prius just because I think they're fascinating, but I've got better things on which to spend $25K (none of which are depreciating assets that roll on four wheels).
Old 06-01-2008, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
These numbers are skewed a bit.

March 2008 had the big giant ice storms/blizzards that covered much of the midwest and northeast for days or even longer that forced many people not to drive by no conscious effort of there own. In short: They were snowed in and couldn't drive their cars.
yeah that has as much affect as a **** in the ocean

Quick Reply: So $4 is what it takes to get Americans to drive less