Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

short road test of new Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:30 PM

short road test of new Acura RL

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Okay, so I own a Camaro, and I'm here on a Camaro website. So maybe it's to be expected that I'm not impressed.

We've talked a lot about weight here. This new RL is 4080 pounds, which is about the same as a maxed out G8 (sport + premium + moonroof). And while it does have AWD, it only has a V6 and a 5 speed auto. Size is right on top of a G8.

1/4 mile 15.1 @ 95.

Remember that this is supposed to be a luxury sports sedan.

I'm not impressed. What am I missing? (Threxx? )

The new '09 TL looks like it will be pretty similar -- top model with the same AWD system, based on new Accord platform, etc.

Last edited by teal98; 07-11-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: s/RL/TL/
Old 07-11-2008, 10:19 PM

I've been a long time Acura fan, and bought (and still own) two TLs- '02 Type S, and '06- and I am just not digging the new lineup at all.

I knew the new TL would leave something to be desired when it was based on the ginormous Accord. I haven't liked the RL since... well, ever, I guess. The first gen looked too old-man, the '05 looks too stubby, and the '09- well they really f'ed up the corporate grill. The TSX is the only one I have any regard for at all, and they made that too porky also. Not digging the slab-sided wheel wells.

A shame, too, because my 2006 6spd is everything that a Japanese FWD sport sedan should be, IMO.

Oh well, when it's time to replace the '02, it just makes it easy to keep the G8 at the top of the list.

EDIT: One last point. The RL needs to move up- in length. It ought to sit with a LS, or Audi A8L in overall size. Keep the 3.7, maybe put a turbo on it, roll the car out at $60-65k. I have no idea who the current model appeals to. At 6000 sales, it looks like the answer is no one.

Last edited by Todd80Z28; 07-11-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:34 AM

Wow, yuck.

Dan
Old 07-12-2008, 09:07 AM

I can't believe how plain it looks. I'm sure the interior has good materials but, there is nothing excited about it either. There is nothing about this car that moves me and I used to like the TL.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Banned

Not diggin' it at all.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:10 PM

I remember the last generation of the RL Car and Driver did a long term test with one and had numerous problems with the car over the period of the test.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:51 PM

I've been in a new RL, and I'm not sure what the point of the vehicle is. It feels really small on the inside, especially the back seat. It's smaller than a TL (maybe not by dimensions, but interior room), less powerful, and doesn't really fit in with the look of the other Acura models (TL, TSX). But it is very nicely appointed on the inside, which is what they are going after.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:38 AM

I just hate what they did with the grills on Acura's so blah!
Old 07-14-2008, 11:29 AM

Design-wise, Acura is becoming the new Toyota - ugly models across. TSX was nice up to the recent refresh - hate the grille, hate the fender flares.

The cross-overs have some ridiculous proportions - the wheels are narrower than the bloated fenders just above them, and reminds me of the comical French Citroen of the 60s...

There are many manufacturers that get into this "mode" where design innovations stagnates, and each new design came from a worker, who was working a third shift on Christmas eve, sitting on the throne.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:38 PM

Acura has pretty well effed up their lineup recently.

The RL has not sold well at ALL and for at least the first two years had below average reliability. Actually the Acura brand as a whole has had right about average reliability if not worse for the last few years. My friend is selling his 05 TL which despite a very nice looking and feeling interior has become a relative rattle trap (for a 35k dollar Japanese lux car anyway) and has given him more small issues than any car he's ever owned before, plus just had to get a new transmission at 40k miles which supposedly is no longer an issue on this gen but I guess it was on his.

The resale value on the new RL isn't great either so it is a kind of tempting used car buy for me... I could get a 30k mile 2007 model after most of the bugs were sorted out for around 20k in a year from now when my 335i lease is up.

I think comparing it to the G8 is a mistake really though... two very very different types of cars other than in weight and number of doors.

The RL was never meant to be a serious performer. It was meant to be a mid level luxury car with techno-gizmos as its primary selling point.

The new TL... I agree with Todd... too damn big and yes it's stepping right on top of the RL in terms of size and power. Acura needs to move the RL uplevel quick.

The new TSX is decent... I drove one... but for a brand new design vehicle with a 201hp 4-cyl I expect better than the 30mpg highway it's rated at. I also found some of the interior materials to be sub par (worse than the old TSX) and the noise levels to be improved but still sub par compared to the competition. I might be interested in the diesel version if it gets the 52mpg highway rumor has that it will.

The MDX is pretty nice though I bet Acura will mess it up next time. The RDX rides way too rough and is too performance oriented for an SUV for my tastes... poor fuel economy too.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:24 PM

Acura should have stuck with names (as should Cadillac and Lincoln, for that matter).

The RL was pretty lame when it came out as the Legend replacement.

The current RL is far better than the previous one, however. As for this new upcoming version, I need to see it in person. I do know that, at least in pics, I'm NOT digging the gigantor razor blade grille. There was nothing wrong with the old Acura face.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:41 PM

There really is no new upcoming version if you guys are talking about the 2009 RL... it's just a face lift plus some tweaks to the electronics. Otherwise it's the same interior, exterior, chassis, powertrain, etc.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 PM

That's what I meant, the facelifted new one. I thought it was getting new sheetmetal in general (not just the front end). But I've only seen one of the small teaser pics of it (showing the weird new grille), not some good hi res pics.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I think comparing it to the G8 is a mistake really though... two very very different types of cars other than in weight and number of doors.

The RL was never meant to be a serious performer. It was meant to be a mid level luxury car with techno-gizmos as its primary selling point.
But Acura was supposedly taking aim at BMW with the RL with its Super Handling AWD.

It sounds like they wanted it to be taken as a serious performer....

Acura's problem is that they stayed with FWD too long. As power levels kept increasing, they needed to do something. AWD versions of transverse FWD cars just don't seem to be successful in the luxury market. They become too heavy for sparkling performance with their V6 engines. I suppose you could argue that the RL competes decently with an Audi A6 3.2 AWD, but I can't ever remember seeing that comparison.

Even Audi suffers from no RWD, because their sporting models are all heavy.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
But Acura was supposedly taking aim at BMW with the RL with its Super Handling AWD.

It sounds like they wanted it to be taken as a serious performer....

Acura's problem is that they stayed with FWD too long. As power levels kept increasing, they needed to do something. AWD versions of transverse FWD cars just don't seem to be successful in the luxury market. They become too heavy for sparkling performance with their V6 engines. I suppose you could argue that the RL competes decently with an Audi A6 3.2 AWD, but I can't ever remember seeing that comparison.

Even Audi suffers from no RWD, because their sporting models are all heavy.
If you pay attention to Acura's marketing department long enough you'll start to ignore what they say and just drive the car yourself to decide. They'll say whatever it takes to put the spotlight on them... it's like the boy that cried wolf to me. I don't know how many 'everybody look at us because pretty soon we are going to be a tier 1 luxury car company' press releases I've read in the last 3 years and they still have nothing to show for it with the current lineup.

Quick Reply: short road test of new Acura RL