Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Sat in an '05 Mustang GT today...not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 03:50 PM

Sat in an '05 Mustang GT today...not impressed

2 gripes most heard about the 4th gen: Poor forward visibility and zero rear seat legroom.

2 most obvious things about the Mustang to me when I first sat down?

1. Poor front visibility. Cowl heigh is high, A pillars are pretty far forward , so your visible sweep is limited vertically and to the sides. The hood pokes up into the sightline too...so you literally can't see over the hood, whereas in a 4th gen you just couldn't see the hood, LOL.

2. With the front seats I'd say 1/2 way back on their tracks...there was maybe 2 inches of room between the seatbacks and the rear buckets This car actually has LESS rear legroom than an F-body.

THe dash layout and everything certainly looked cool enough...but the high "beltline" made the car feel claustrophobic. I can't believe women enjoy driving them.

I'll say though that it felt well put together...doors and all felt tight.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:59 PM

Re: Sat in an '05 Mustang GT today...not impressed

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
2 gripes most heard about the 4th gen: Poor forward visibility and zero rear seat legroom.

2 most obvious things about the Mustang to me when I first sat down?

1. Poor front visibility. Cowl heigh is high, A pillars are pretty far forward , so your visible sweep is limited vertically and to the sides. The hood pokes up into the sightline too...so you literally can't see over the hood, whereas in a 4th gen you just couldn't see the hood, LOL.

2. With the front seats I'd say 1/2 way back on their tracks...there was maybe 2 inches of room between the seatbacks and the rear buckets This car actually has LESS rear legroom than an F-body.

THe dash layout and everything certainly looked cool enough...but the high "beltline" made the car feel claustrophobic. I can't believe women enjoy driving them.

I'll say though that it felt well put together...doors and all felt tight.
Pretty good reveiw! My buddy had to have one when they came out, i got to drive one just days after they hit the local dealership, i would have to say everything you said is pretty spot on.

I kind of prefer the F4's front seats, they fealt (atleast to me) that they where trying to hold onto me in extreme corning, the stang kinda lets me slam into the door...

And yes the damn doors are not rattly! that will always bother me about 4th gens
Old 11-05-2005, 04:02 PM

I wasn't too fond of the new Mustangs interior either, I guess they spent more time designing the exterior then the interior. Just my opinion though, still an awesome car.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:32 PM

Actually I like the new Mustang. Can't think of a lot I'd change, except maybe more power (that's on the way)
Old 11-05-2005, 04:46 PM

All in all, I would take one but it wouldn't be my first pick.

David
Old 11-05-2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
I got the exact same impression when I sat in one at last year's NAIAS. The high beltline raised the dash and everything else in the interior and made it almost feel like you were sitting in a lowered truck.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:37 PM

You just made me realize that I've never owned a vehicle where I could see the hood.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:54 PM

It seems to me like they gave it an extra 2" of rear leg room, but took away 2" of rear head room. My primary gripes are that it's just too big and the visibility isn't nearly as good as the SN95 cars.

I still think the SN95 cars were size wise about perfect.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by mr00jimbo
You just made me realize that I've never owned a vehicle where I could see the hood.
over rated!
Old 11-05-2005, 09:04 PM

I finally got a ride in my friend's Mustang a few weeks ago. I was really surprised how prominent and (IMO) in the way the hood is. I'm one of the few here I think that doesn't mind not seeing the hood and likes seeing nothing bot road from dash to roof.

FOr me, the Mustang's interior design was just to hard edged. There's really nothing about the design of the car I'm impressed with....except changing the dash lights.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:13 PM

I agree with your points.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:14 AM

I really didn't notice the rear leg room thing when I was in one(but then again I never make any consideration for leg room in the back because I never have people that ride with me).

As far as the car feeling claustraphobic...couldn't disagree on that one more.

The SN95...THAT care felt cramped and tiny. After sitting in the Mustang and the new Fusion back to back the Mustaing at least from a drivers points of view felt like it had a lot more space to it.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:28 AM

Chris 96 WS6: THe dash layout and everything certainly looked cool enough...but the high "beltline" made the car feel claustrophobic. I can't believe women enjoy driving them.
Exactly, my biggest complaint on the rental V6 version. It felt like riding in a "chop-top", took some getting use to. Try leaning your arm on the door with the window open, your arm will be WAY higher than your shoulder.
How'd you like the forward tilting, large headrests??
Also, my knee kept leaning on the very corner of the door's armrest, very uncomfortable.
And the gages were hard to see b/c of the steering wheel in the V6.
If I got in the back seat, if you can call it that, I'd needed help getting out!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:55 AM

Exactly what I thought when I sat in the car at NAIAS. Too damn claustrophobic. High cowl and dash, high beltline.

The interior is also LOTS of hard plastics, which GM gets ripped for constantly, even though everyone (including Hondoyota) uses the stuff at a given price point. I do think the interior is kinda cool looking, though, as is the exterior.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:29 PM

My only real complaint with the new mustang is I cant see out of them. Im not a big guy by any means but Im not small either and can see out of my camaro without any problem. I dont need to see the hood.. but I do need to see what the hood is blocking from my view!

Quick Reply: Sat in an '05 Mustang GT today...not impressed