Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Salt water the new fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM

I'll take this guys discovery with a 'grain of salt'

In the end he's just burning sodium
Old 09-12-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by R377
Somewhere in the newsroom someone should have thought to ask whether they honestly thought this guy figured out how to break the laws of thermodynamics.
I did in fact invent a device that extracted energy from nowhere out of water, but the energy companies paid me $50 billion to destroy it. Sucks for you guys.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:18 PM

I really wish the media would apply a few minutes' worth of critical thought before publishing sensational stories like this.
That doesn't get ratings.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:00 PM

To the surprise of no one with a functioning brain in their head, the inventor of this technology has admitted it consumes more energy than it releases
Early versions of most technologies including fuel cells are inefficent. Were still refining the 4 cycle engine. The device is not perpetual motion as it uses a finite fuel(when the water in your tank is gone). My question is could this be practical one day?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:30 PM

No but it is nearly the same thing from a thermodynamic point of view because the hydrogen and oxygen in the water molecule is at a lower energy state than the component hydrogen and oxygen. It takes energy to split it, which is the same as the energy you get back when you recombine them. If you could split water for free, you could simply route the exhaust pipe back into the gas tank and it would never empty. You would then have a perpetual motion machine.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
No but it is nearly the same thing from a thermodynamic point of view because the hydrogen and oxygen in the water molecule is at a lower energy state than the component hydrogen and oxygen. It takes energy to split it, which is the same as the energy you get back when you recombine them. If you could split water for free, you could simply route the exhaust pipe back into the gas tank and it would never empty. You would then have a perpetual motion machine.
You could recombine them which would yield energy? The result being the same salt water to deposit in the tank even after the burn?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:22 PM

He isn't burning water... he is breaking the water into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen then combusts, recombining with oxygen to form water.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:36 PM

He isn't burning water... he is breaking the water into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen then combusts, recombining with oxygen to form water.
But either way more energy is being put into the system that is gotten out of it.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
But either way more energy is being put into the system that is gotten out of it.
Was creating a theoretical argument against this...
Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
The device is not perpetual motion as it uses a finite fuel(when the water in your tank is gone).
Was just saying that the only way you could get energy from the water was if you could split the water in oxygen and hydrogen for free. But if that was the case then you could route the exhaust back into the gas tank and that would make it essentially a perpetual motion machine.

Or if it took less energy to split the water than it did to recombine the hydrogen and oxygen back into water and you are still getting free energy out of nowhere and could still recycle the exhaust into the fuel tank... again perpetual motion.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 PM

Was just saying that the only way you could get energy from the water was if you could split the water in oxygen and hydrogen for free. But if that was the case then you could route the exhaust back into the gas tank and that would make it essentially a perpetual motion machine.

Or if it took less energy to split the water than it did to recombine the hydrogen and oxygen back into water and you are still getting free energy out of nowhere and could still recycle the exhaust into the fuel tank... again perpetual motion.
I thought you were saying that because currently it took more energy to split the hydrogen and oxygen that there was no use for it. And also being that Prepetual motion machines defy the law of thermo dynamics, this thing will never have a practical use. I hope they at least try to refine it so that they seperate it with less energy than it produces.

The problem I was having with routing the exhaust back to the tank in my head was this; You seperate Hydrogen and Oxygen to burn the Hydrogen. During the burn of the Hydrogen, I assumed some chemical reaction would happen to the hydrogen giving you the burn and preventing it from bonding with the oxygen to create water again. Or at least the same water you started out with. I suck at understanding chemistry. It would be awesome if something could come of this...
Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 AM

I should have included if I did not the fact that you absolutely cannot split the water for less energy than you get out of recombining the oxygen and hydrogen to form water again. That would require a whole new set of thermodynamics and a greatly different understanding of physics as far as I know. Without rewriting physics however there is no way to make this a net positive energy gain.

Perhaps you could use a battery that you plug in at night to run the RF generator that splits the water that is then combusted in the ICE. But then again that is far less efficient than just putting liquid dinosaurs in your tank and burning them. Or you could just use a fuel cell.